Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

House of J wrote:I figured he might have found Media Layer's IRL headquarters and sabotaged the hard drive himself. Maybe the bio-electric feedback when he took out the ML Supreme Untelligence was too much for him to handle--what if he gave his life to ensure that thread would never be seen by the world at large? :shock:

I don't know what the hell kind of drugs you're taking, but I think I want some. :D
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Old Man wrote:I don't know what the hell kind of drugs you're taking, but I think I want some. :D

Yeah, see, now that sounds like something Lee would say.

Or would have said! :cry:

If only he had never started that damned thread!! :smt089

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:20 am

so, my normal lack of logging on on Sunday moved into monday this week. My daughter was inducted into the NHS and because I am poor and can't afford to take her out. I slaved in the kitchen on my day off making her favorite meal from scratch... Cheese Tortellini's with alfredo sauce. A nice Caesar salad and some garlic bread.

I assume my avatar was a casualty of Saturday's problems.

I will be busy at work today and may not log on until later.

I WILL write my unwritten review tonight. THen I have to do a BF review. May try to do one catch up a night this week

Azrael will be a BF, probably turn in Weds night. Hopefully it will be up for Thursday because Friday I am out of town for the weekend and will probably not be logging in. It is the annual trip to Junaluska for the Choir Workshop.

Talk to y'all later. I got to make lunch and get to works.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:37 am

Damn, I don't have time for an in depth review, so mine is going to be really short this week.

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 am

Did anyone lose the reviews they posted on Saturday other than Doombug? :?:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:54 am

The Unwritten #6

Despite having read issue #1 for the Review Group, I found it difficult to get into this issue. Initially, I skipped the "blog post" at the beginning of the issue, thinking that it was part of the reviews that make up the first page and a half of the issue, and so I did not have a clue what was going on in my first read. Having read it, and the other "news reports" a couple of pages into the issue, the story makes more sense. Still, is it too much to ask to give the summary its own separate page, rather than sticking it at the end of several reviews of the title?

Aside from that, this was clearly a transitional issue between the first arc and the second. Tom is introduced to his new roommate in the slammer, Captain Boomerang...I mean, Richard Savoy, stabs some dude in the face with a fork, and then meets Frankenstein and a flying cat.

Yeah.

The story has been pretty interesting so far, primarily because I do not have a damn clue what is going on. I worry that the story may lose some steam after some reveals are inevitably made, but he seems to be crafting an interesting cast for the book, so those worries may be unfounded.

The art is well done. Peter Gross' pencils are not the prettiest or most detailed I have seen (although the battle scene towards the beginning of the issue is very nice), but he does a great job of helping to tell the story through his art. Colorists Chris Chuckry and Jeanne McGee deserve praise for bringing subtly different color palettes to the different scenes in the book, which helps the reader to delineate between flashbacks and scene transitions, which is something that is not done often enough in comics.

It is hard to rate this as an individual comic, because it is clearly part of a larger story rather than something you would read on its own. Carey and Gross continue to craft an intriguing story, and I am interested in seeing where it goes.

Story: 8
Art: 7
Overall: 7.5

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:58 am

The Unwritten # 6

Meh.

That sums it up for me. The concept has never grabbed me from the start. The literary allusions, references, and characters does nothing for me.

That's a shame really, because this is not badly written. Far from it, it's written very well, but if I have no interest, what can ya do? And I've wanted to like this. I bought and read the first 4 issues before deciding I had to cut it loose. This issue does nothing to change my mind. I did like the Browning stuff at the beginning though, because I'm a sucker for that poem because I'm a even bigger sucker for the Dark Tower series by Stephen King

The art is pretty good. You can tell what everyone feels by their facial expressions and everything is just detailed nicely. The use of webpages and blog type things in the story is also pretty cool to me

The praise pages at the front of the book annoyed me. One or two quotes is cool, but that was ridonkulious. I get it, people like a Mike Carey written Vertigo book. Who'd have thunk it :-) Of course my annoyance probably comes from the fact that everyone but seemingly me likes this book, but I digress

Story 5
Art 8

Overall 6.5/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:05 pm

Kerny wrote: Of course my annoyance probably comes from the fact that everyone but seemingly me likes this book, but I digress

I didn't like this issue at all.

Postby ****** » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:23 pm

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:45 pm

amlah6 wrote:Did anyone lose the reviews they posted on Saturday other than Doombug? :?:

I'm still pissed about it, I thought it was a strong review and the first one I'd taken time on in a while only to have some system error fuck me over.

I really don't want to rewrite it. :(

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:46 pm

doombug wrote:I'm still pissed about it, I thought it was a strong review and the first one I'd taken time on in a while only to have some system error fuck me over.

I really don't want to rewrite it. :(

I never saw it, this strong review never existed. :P :wink:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:I never saw it, this strong review never existed. :P :wink:

Are you saying I'm a bad reviewer?! :evil:

:lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:52 pm

doombug wrote:Are you saying I'm a bad reviewer?! :evil:

:lol:

well, I'm not saying you are Punchy bad or anything. :-D

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:00 pm

thefourthman wrote:well, I'm not saying you are Punchy bad or anything. :-D

Did you see my hack/slash spotlight last week on comicrelated?
Last edited by doombug on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:01 pm

doombug wrote:Did yu see my hack/slash spotlight last week on comicrelated?

No, but now I have something to do when I am bored later! :)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand