Advertisement

Review Group Week 192 - THE UNWRITTEN #6

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:37 am

House of J wrote:I thought about skipping this week, but I figured if all the people possibly considering the first trade did that, only one or two people would be left to review.

I blame DC for this travesty.

at the end of the day, it isn't just DC. the only book that seems to do a good job of getting the trade on the shelf before the next storyline was Walking Dead when it was late... now it comes out like around issue two. It's not standard industry practice and probably never will be.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:38 am

amlah6 wrote:My next pick currently coincides with the Powers relaunch. :twisted:

Then you have my excuse already. Don't you read it in the big crazy hardcovers too, or did you get anxious.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am

MrBlack wrote:That's a good point. With the first trade on its way containing the first five issues, this would seem to be a natural jumping on point for new readers. It isn't.

I don't want to unfairly slam the book, but there really wasn't a lot to draw a new reader in with, even one who had read the first issue. It seems like an interesting story, but there was nothing for me to glom on to in this issue.

Maybe I'll just slam GLX for a bad pick. :wink:

:lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am

MrBlack wrote:That's a good point. With the first trade on its way containing the first five issues, this would seem to be a natural jumping on point for new readers. It isn't.

I don't want to unfairly slam the book, but there really wasn't a lot to draw a new reader in with, even one who had read the first issue. It seems like an interesting story, but there was nothing for me to glom on to in this issue.

Maybe I'll just slam GLX for a bad pick. :wink:

to be fair (and not having read the book)... the last issue didn't feel like the end of a storyline... in fact it was pretty much a stand alone issue that would have probably been a better entry point. This book does not seem your cut and dry 6 issue storyline kind of thing... there was no real cohesive story to the first five issues, there was an extensive amount of exposition; the world probably doubled & my expectations for the book were far exceeded with each issue.

Y had lots of storylines, but no clear jumping on point, same with Ex Machina and possibly Preacher (I am half way through that one) - these books aren't like even Criminal where it is readable without prior knowledge and deeper for it.

It was an interesting choice on GLX's part. I would've wanted to do CNV, but then we would have all been screwed cause Diamond sucks... evidently this was an issue the boss man brought up at the summit and Image gave Diamond what for as a result. CNV has been in the warehouse for a minute over there and everyone was shorted the book this week.
Last edited by thefourthman on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 am

thefourthman wrote:at the end of the day, it isn't just DC. the only book that seems to do a good job of getting the trade on the shelf before the next storyline was Walking Dead when it was late... now it comes out like around issue two. It's not standard industry practice and probably never will be.

:wink: I was just kidding.

Ok, I blame GLX.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:43 am

thefourthman wrote:to be fair (and not having read the book)... the last issue didn't feel like the end of a storyline... in fact it was pretty much a stand alone issue that would have probably been a better entry point. This book does not seem your cut and dry 6 issue storyline kind of thing... there was no real cohesive story to the first five issues, there was an extensive amount of exposition; the world probably doubled & my expectations for the book were far exceeded with each issue.

None of that helps the rest of us with this issue, though.

If you mean the fictional world of The Unwritten doubled with each issue, issue #6 isn't really indicative of that.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby MrBlack » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

By the way, I think I will go with Azrael #1 as my pick for next week. A new number one is always good to review, and because I'm changing shops next week, I may not be able to get any books that aren't from the Big Two.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:45 am

House of J wrote:None of that helps the rest of us with this issue, though.

yeah, see my new edit. I don't think this book will have an easy jumping on point, ever. I don't think it is being written that way. The reader in me loves that, the retailer hates it. :D... but then this is a top twenty book for us, so what the fuck do I care?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:48 am

thefourthman wrote:yeah, see my new edit. I don't think this book will have an easy jumping on point, ever. I don't think it is being written that way. The reader in me loves that, the retailer hates it. :D... but then this is a top twenty book for us, so what the fuck do I care?

Like I tried to say, what I said wasn't an indictment of the issue for that--more of an observation. Again, I couldn't settle whether a book should be more accessible or not--but in the end it didn't matter, it just wasn't.

Oh, and P.S.: Fables. 'Nuff said. A well done recap page makes all the difference to a new reader.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:51 am

Situations I couldn't help but compare it to were my introductions to both Y:TLM and Invisibles--I picked up a random issue in the single digits or early teens and immediately bought any trades or single issues that preceded it, then followed them monthly to completion.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:54 am

House of J wrote:Situations I couldn't help but compare it to were my introductions to both Y:TLM and Invisibles--I picked up a random issue in the single digits or early teens and immediately bought any trades or single issues that preceded it, then followed them monthly to completion.

My brother got me to buy some random ass issue of Y like 26 or something, the middle of an arc. I hated it. It made no sense to me at all. Eventually he got me to read the first trade. I love it and it is one of my favorite titles. I have yet to read Invisibles. Maybe one day.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 am

thefourthman wrote:My brother got me to buy some random ass issue of Y like 26 or something, the middle of an arc. I hated it. It made no sense to me at all. Eventually he got me to read the first trade. I love it and it is one of my favorite titles. I have yet to read Invisibles. Maybe one day.

Fans of the series in its entirety will take issue with this, but there were some dead-ass issues in the middle of that run. Still, 26 is a lot more water under the bridge than 5 issues.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:58 am

thefourthman wrote:Then you have my excuse already. Don't you read it in the big crazy hardcovers too, or did you get anxious.

I read it in hardcovers, but it's a shitty week (the day after Thanksgiving) and pickings are going to be slim. At least with Powers it'll be an awesome book and since I listen to the Bendis Tapes anything major that's happened in the book in the last volume has been spoiled for me anyway.

At Baltimore, Bendis said that it might ship early so you're probably safe. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:03 am

House of J wrote:Fans of the series in its entirety will take issue with this, but there were some dead-ass issues in the middle of that run. Still, 26 is a lot more water under the bridge than 5 issues.

There is no reason to take issue with it. Within sixty issues BKV wrote two of the best single issues ever, #1 and #60... that is an achievement most writers never even get half of, yes I am looking your way Daniel Way and Brian Miller. :D

There were quite a few issues that only made the grade because of the baggage that went with them.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:04 am

thefourthman wrote:I don't know, I think trade waiting is a valid excuse... I would have hated if the trade waiters had read Y 60 when we did it. If someone picked Hellboy or Powers, I would most definitely sit out.

Issue 58 of Y pissed me off. I would have hated to have read that one out of order if I were a trade waiter.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand