Advertisement

Review Group Week 193 - AZRAEL #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:38 pm

thefifthman wrote::shock:
Dude, do you read all of a post or just skim it before you start to argue with it?

You expect to address his random mentions of World War Hulk? It has nothing to do with Ares.

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 317 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm

thefifthman wrote::shock:
Dude, do you read all of a post or just skim it before you start to argue with it?

I'm guessing skim since he doesn't seem to realize that I hate it all because I've been reading most of it.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Punchy wrote:You expect to address his random mentions of World War Hulk? It has nothing to do with Ares.

Or secret invasion or civil war or thunderbolts or...
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 0 post

Postby McKegan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 pm

I'd like to go on the record and say I hate chicken fat. It's yucky.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:41 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Or secret invasion or civil war or thunderbolts or...

How do you know Siege will totally undo Dark Reign? It's possible it might, but even so, it doesn't mean that Dark Reign is a bad story because it didn't go on forever.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Punchy wrote:How do you know Siege will totally undo Dark Reign? It's possible it might, but even so, it doesn't mean that Dark Reign is a bad story because it didn't go on forever.

Because that's what Marvel has been doing since New X-men. Each event is to undo something...usually New X-men. Avengers Dissembled undid New Xmen, House of M undid Avengers Dissembled, Civil War-set up new ground to be fucked with, Secret Invasion undid Civil War, One more Day undid civil war(pieces) would you like me to continue?

- Les Paul

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 40 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Punchy wrote:You expect to address his random mentions of World War Hulk? It has nothing to do with Ares.

they weren't random except for the random Secret War thing which is a typo, I think...

Anyhow, what he is saying is that Marvel gets good ideas and them runs them into the ground and gave you several examples of this under the current editorial and creative team at Marvel. Frankly I agree with him. I thought Secret Invasion sucked, but Dark Reign seemed awesome to me. A year later I am sick of it and I never thought about it until know, but he's right it is Ellis's T-Bolts to the Nth degree.

There are lots of books individually I like at both Marvel and DC, but both have a real bad habit of taking things to far. Deadpool is a perfect example of this. There is a difference between pimping a good thing, acting on a good thing, and killing a good thing. I think both are getting real good at killing shit. Blackest Night, boring. Dark Reign was cool and now is pointless and just keeps going.

Ares is a great concept but making him part of this lessons it a bit and I'm sorry I can't get excited about this book. Hopefully, I and the others are wrong and it is the shit, but don't ask us to fake excitement about something we would probably not read if it weren't the book this week. There are some of us who were genuinely excited about FVZA and we even made at least one convert. Instead of a book that seems to have a bit of buzz going for it, we are reviewing a book that will have this reaction across America tomorrow, "REally? Are you kidding me?"

So yeah, being the vocal bunch we are, we say something. Then you prod us into going around and around in circles all week. Amlah will come on later post the article and bitch about how boring the thread is in the op next week... the cycle continues...

It's like the whole thread is written as a Marvel book. What is wrong with us.

Oh and track 17 on Embryonic is the fucking shit!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Because that's what Marvel has been doing since New X-men. Each event is to undo something...usually New X-men. Avengers Dissembled undid New Xmen, House of M undid Avengers Dissembled, Civil War-set up new ground to be fucked with, Secret Invasion undid Civil War, One more Day undid civil war(pieces) would you like me to continue?

But does that make them bad stories? You can't enjoy a well-told enjoyable comic because it will be reversed later?

I wouldn't think someone who is supposedly so Indie would be such a continuity nerd!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

Punchy wrote:Have you read the preview to #1? It's great.

The fact is, some of you are biased against the Big 2 and feel like you have something to prove by bashing them.

Dark Avengers: Ares is not some evil Marvel Crossover, it's not Bendis or Millar crapping on your icons, it's a new up and coming writer with lots of Indie cred writing a C-List character with a lot of potential. But because it's got a Big Red M on the cover, it sucks?

I don't doubt that FVZA is pretty good, but just because it's from a smaller publisher doesn't mean it's automatically great or better than a Marvel book.

Understand, I am not saying Ares must be bad--I've read enough of the two books we're comparing to be comfortable saying what I did.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

thefifthman wrote:they weren't random except for the random Secret War thing which is a typo, I think...

Anyhow, what he is saying is that Marvel gets good ideas and them runs them into the ground and gave you several examples of this under the current editorial and creative team at Marvel. Frankly I agree with him. I thought Secret Invasion sucked, but Dark Reign seemed awesome to me. A year later I am sick of it and I never thought about it until know, but he's right it is Ellis's T-Bolts to the Nth degree.

There are lots of books individually I like at both Marvel and DC, but both have a real bad habit of taking things to far. Deadpool is a perfect example of this. There is a difference between pimping a good thing, acting on a good thing, and killing a good thing. I think both are getting real good at killing shit. Blackest Night, boring. Dark Reign was cool and now is pointless and just keeps going.

Ares is a great concept but making him part of this lessons it a bit and I'm sorry I can't get excited about this book. Hopefully, I and the others are wrong and it is the shit, but don't ask us to fake excitement about something we would probably not read if it weren't the book this week. There are some of us who were genuinely excited about FVZA and we even made at least one convert. Instead of a book that seems to have a bit of buzz going for it, we are reviewing a book that will have this reaction across America tomorrow, "REally? Are you kidding me?"

So yeah, being the vocal bunch we are, we say something. Then you prod us into going around and around in circles all week. Amlah will come on later post the article and bitch about how boring the thread is in the op next week... the cycle continues...

I totally forgot about Deadpool-The new wolverine for people who hate wolverine. And I need to start playing embryonic.

- Les Paul

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Punchy wrote:But does that make them bad stories? You can't enjoy a well-told enjoyable comic because it will be reversed later?

I wouldn't think someone who is supposedly so Indie would be such a continuity nerd!

No it makes them pointless in the end. That's the problem it's why I like the indie books because they are single continuity. And now you're just back peddling to argue about indie books when you are simply a marvel apologist.

- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, since comics don't has genitals, it's all moot.

I dunno, I'm looking at Force Works #1 right now, and I think that might be a fold-out vagina on the front cover.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Well, since comics don't has genitals, it's all moot.

I dunno, I'm looking at Force Works #1 right now, and I think that might be a fold-out vagina on the front cover.

EDIT: Server troubles again. :roll:
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

thefifthman wrote:they weren't random except for the random Secret War thing which is a typo, I think...

You and Yoni are making different arguments, he's saying Dark Reign sucks because it's pointless as it's going to end, so why should he bother reading it. You're saying it's good but it's going on too long. Yoni seems to prefer that it went on indefinitely, so it would have some value.

And I agree with you on Deadpool.

I just think that we should respect Super's pick, rather than bash it because it's not an Indie Vampire book that is the next big thing until the next one.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 pm

House of J wrote:Understand, I am not saying Ares must be bad--I've read one of the two books we're comparing and a preview of the other. I'm just saying, I feel like I have read enough to be comfortable saying what I did.

I don't know what you said but, I feel like I agree. I think I've read enough Marvel books with Ares running around in them lately to say this one wont be that different than any other.

- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand