Thursday, October 18, 2018 • Morning Edition • "Sometimes true. Always authentic."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 195 - DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #899

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:25 pm

alright, lets fucking do this!!!!!!!!

Locke & Key bitches

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Hey Amlah, you don't mind if I fudge the truth and say that I read it as a trade for the GN thread...

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:26 pm

thefifthman wrote:I'm reading it but haven't read volume 2 yet... I don't have one in the store. I guess I get to rummage the set boxes and see if there is a set somewhere. :(

Your shop sure does fail a lot. No parking... no Lock & Key... creepy shop guy who forces people to pretended to talk on their cell phones to get out of having to talk to him at the register...

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Your shop sure does fail a lot. No parking... no Lock & Key... creepy shop guy who forces people to pretended to talk on their cell phones to get out of having to talk to him at the register...

I'm sold out bitch, I have three copies of volume one! :x

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:27 pm

thefifthman wrote:Hey Amlah, you don't mind if I fudge the truth and say that I read it as a trade for the GN thread...

Uh wat?

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:30 pm

amlah6 wrote:Uh wat?
Head Games Bitch...

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 pm

Chubbles wrote:alright, lets fucking do this!!!!!!!!

Locke & Key bitches

Excellent choice. 8)

[center]Image
Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #1
as selected by Chubbles because he is awesome[/center]
Writer: Joe Hill
Artist: Gabriel Rodriguez

Prologue: 'The Haunting of Keyhouse.' Sam Lesser may be dead and gone, but Dodge still has uses for him, and in the first chill days of October, will make contact with him again. The dead know things the living may not, and Sam's restless spirit has had time to discover the thing Dodge wants to know most of all... where to find the key to the black door. The third storyline in the Eisner-nominated series begins here! 32 pages, $3.99

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm

thefifthman wrote:Head Games Bitch...

I didn't see your previous post. I've listed reading single issues that make up a trade in there several times.

I think I'm going to re-read both Welcome to Lovecraft and Head Games before next week. I'm excited. :D

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:38 pm

75 things to do before i die:

28: Get Amlah excited (CHECK)

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:59 pm

amlah6 wrote:I didn't see your previous post. I've listed reading single issues that make up a trade in there several times.

I think I'm going to re-read both Welcome to Lovecraft and Head Games before next week. I'm excited. :D
why do people read threads out of order?

KING King Impulse

Teenage Wasteland

Postby KING King Impulse » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:19 pm

I'll probably pass because I haven't read volume 2 yet, but it's also a good excuse to get vol 2. I'll see when I'm in the shop next week

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Deadpool Team-Up #899 - 'Merc With A Myth' - Van Lente, Talajic and Gandini

Story - It's no secret that I hate Deadpool, as a character I find him crass, obvious, and most crucially of all not particularly funny. This is why his current ubiquity both baffles and disgusts me, and when they announced a 3rd (3rd!) ongoing series for the character, I was actually angry. Marvel won't launch a Spider-Man Marvel Team-Up series, but there's a Deadpool one? Jesus fuck, Marvel and the comics fans are both retarded! I would be all ready to give this insult to the industry a big fat 2/10, but... but this issue is written by Fred Van Lente and features Hercules, and I love FVL (and Greg Pak's) run on Hercules, which is an epic (and actually funny) series. This is like something I love mixed in with something I hate! Delicious chocolate cake, but it's not chocolate on the top, it's dog-shit. So in Deadpool Team-Up #899, which side won out? Was it cake? Or was it dog-shit? Actually it's something in between, as Fred Van Lente cleverly mocks the ridiculous popularity of Deadpool and (shock, horror) has some funny jokes and ideas.

The plot is simple, traditional Team-Up stuff, Deadpool and Hercules are tricked by villains, and first fight eachother because of a misunderstanding, but then come together and team up to fight the bad guys. It's every issue of Marvel Team-Up or Brave & The Bold you've ever read, but more asinine. But at least the villains are interesting, you've got Arcade, the most awesomely stupid X-Men villain of all (and star of the first Marvel comic I ever read, a Marvel Team-Up where he traps Captain Britain and Spider-Man in a malevolent murder maze), and Nightmare, getting revenge on Hercules for what happened during that title's Secret Invasion arc (continuity!), and the way they team-up is actually very clever, they each represent the right and left sides of the brain, logic and machinations, versus chaos, and together... they can cancel out Deadpool and Hercules; unique abilities, such as resistance to Magic. It's a good idea, but did Deadpool need to be there? This would have been just as good a plot against Herc's usual sidekick Amadeus Cho.

I did like how Van Lente made the fights DP and Herc have tie into their personal history and characters, throughout The Incredible Hercules, FVL and Pak have shown how back when he was a God, Herc was a bit of a prick, and how that haunts him today, and having him fight all of his kids was a creepy and effective idea. Even Deadpool's monster was interesting. Throughout this issue, Van Lente makes use of multiple narration boxes to show each of Deadpool's schizoid personalities, and what at first seems like a clever little joke, is made into something different when Deadpool has to fight these personalities. Clever clever.

But still, it doesn't change the fact that Deadpool isn't funny, and was in fact exceedingly annoying. His humour has always been lowest common-denominator 'hey look at this reference!' humour, and it sucks. I've used this analogy before, but Deadpool is like Family Guy. In a bad way. But at least in this issue Van Lente seems aware of this, and makes fun of it, he has Deadpool himself say how stupid it is he now has 3 ongoings, he has him comment on his sudden and ridiculous ubiquity, and in a legitimately funny bit at the end, when DP stabs himself in the head and is reduced to a bare-bones caricature saying stuff like '[Insert witty non sequitur here]' and '[Breaking 4th Wall with amusing comics reference]', it's knowing and clever. Perhaps it's fitting that Deadpool is only funny when he's not acting like he normally does, when he's being mocked himself. But then again, does making jokes about it make it OK? In 30 Rock last night they had some heavy product placement for Cisco, and although they over-did it and made it a joke, at the end of the day, it was still shilling, still selling out. And in this book, at the end of the day, this is still Deadpool doing the same thing he always does.

In the end, this is an average issue of a comic, featuring a character I really dislike, but it's redeemed by a writer who seems aware of the character's limitations, and employs meta-humour about meta-humour to save it. There's also a lot of good pseudo-science here, and of course the always interesting character of Hercules. It's a shame that this book has a different writer and artist team every issue, as if Van Lente and Talajic were on this book permanently, I could see it developing into a Deadpool worth reading, the character was more tolerable having to share the spotlight here (and in Cable/Deadpool actually). I really wanted to dislike this, and I do dislike the idea and intent behind this series, but this issue was OK. But why can't we have Hercules Team-Up instead?

Art - Dalibor Talajic is not an artist I'm familiar with, but I really liked his work here, especially on Hercules, who was really quite imposing. It wasn't the best art I've seen, but it was effective on this story, capable of comedy, but not stretching to a total cartoon. I'd like to see him draw the regular Hercules book, without Deadpool, that would be interesting.

Best Line - 'And I have to celebrate my third on-going! I'm gonna suck every last dime outta this inexplicable and totally underserved popularity until my lips fall off!' Inexplicable and undeserved is right.

6/10

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:creepy shop guy who forces people to pretended to talk on their cell phones to get out of having to talk to him at the register...

That describes the owner at my LCS. Fortunately for us comic book readers, he has a comics guy who is a real hooman bean, thus we (mostly) get to avoid the owner.

The owner had a customer tied up in conversation for about 10 minutes, so one of the guys called the store on his cell phone and asked for the owner. Owner took the phone call, said hello a couple times, asked anybody there, hung up the phone, and the customer was already out the door and in his car. (We saw and heard it all as it was summer, and the doors were open.)

Old Man

cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Chubbles wrote:75 things to do before i die:

28: Get Amlah excited (CHECK)

Tickle his ear with your tongue.

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Old Man wrote:That describes the owner at my LCS. Fortunately for us comic book readers, he has a comics guy who is a real hooman bean, thus we (mostly) get to avoid the owner.

The owner had a customer tied up in conversation for about 10 minutes, so one of the guys called the store on his cell phone and asked for the owner. Owner took the phone call, said hello a couple times, asked anybody there, hung up the phone, and the customer was already out the door and in his car. (We saw and heard it all as it was summer, and the doors were open.)

that sounds like the owner of Ultimate Comics.

leave a comment with facebook