Advertisement

Review Group Week 195 - DEADPOOL TEAM-UP #899

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Punchy wrote:#28 and #39 of C/DP.

that doesn't at all answer my question, but thanks for playing.
and for the record they were both before my time, thank god, that book sucked.
Last edited by thefourthman on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:02 pm

oh and late to the party guy says, there is a new Coen brothers movie? :shock:
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:oh and late to the party guy says, there is a new Coen brothers movie? :shock:

'A Serious Man'

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:05 pm

Punchy wrote:'A Serious Man'

you should read all posts before making an ass of yourself.

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:16 pm

thefourthman wrote:and seriously, like what book or character have we reviewed the most.

Four for Deadpool seems really out of proportion.

Deadfett really likes Deadpool. The C&D issues were back to back picks for him.

The second C&D pick came in Week 62, you didn't sign up until Week 73.

And here's a non-exact list, I just tried to pull by featured character...

Batman - 11
All-Star Batman & Robin #7
Batman #655
Batman #663
Batman #686
Batman and Robin #1
Batman and the Outsiders #1
Batman: Cacophony #1
Detective Comics #821
Gotham Underground #2
Superman/Batman #37
Trinity #4

Spider-Man - 7
Amazing Spider-Man #537
Amazing Spider-Man #575
Amazing Spider-Man #597
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #8
Spider-Man: Reign #1
Ultimate Spider-Man #105
Ultimate Spider-Man #97

Superman - 6
Action Comics #844
Action Comics Annual #10
Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #1
Superman/Batman #37
Superman: World of New Krypton #1
Trinity #4

Punisher - 5
Punisher War Journal #1
Punisher #1
Punisher MAX #45
Punisher War Journal #11
Punisher: War Zone #1

After that Hulk, Flash and Deadpool each had 4.

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:18 pm

thefourthman wrote:oh and late to the party guy says, there is a new Coen brothers movie? :shock:

I talked about the new Flaming Lips record in the OP about a month before you started your thread about it too. :P

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:18 pm

all of those make sense except for Deadpool. Where the fuck is Wolverine? :shock:

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 pm

thefourthman wrote:all of those make sense except for Deadpool. Where the fuck is Wolverine? :shock:

Had I bothered to count the team and event books, he probably would be on top.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:19 pm

amlah6 wrote:I talked about the new Flaming Lips record in the OP about a month before you started your thread about it too. :P

yeah, well I remember that, but I am poor and that is how long it took me to buy it and it was amazing so I started a thread and posted the naked people video as well. I rule, you suck. What's new? :twisted:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm

thefourthman wrote:all of those make sense except for Deadpool. Where the fuck is Wolverine? :shock:

Punisher makes about as much sense as Deadpool. We've reviewed more Punisher books than Flash or Green Lantern books.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 pm

MrBlack wrote:Punisher makes about as much sense as Deadpool. We've reviewed more Punisher books than Flash or Green Lantern books.

Flash sucks and GL is cosmic, so I will remain mute on that.

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:27 pm

MrBlack wrote:Punisher makes about as much sense as Deadpool. We've reviewed more Punisher books than Flash or Green Lantern books.

Punisher is probably a result of all the reboots. Three of those five have been #1's.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby PDH » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Deadpool Team-Up #899 - 898 To Go!

What the fuck? This is an ongoing? I thought it was a joke at the expense of Marvel's dubious grasp of mathematics. A joke able to sustain, at best, a one-shot for people easily bedazzled by funny numbers. What other appeal could it possibly have that couldn't just as easily be satisfied with one of Deadpool's other titles? Well, join me as I venture into the sleazy, strange-smelling, verruca peppered waters of Deadpool Team-Up #899 to find the answer...

None whatsoever.

This is exactly as pointless as it looks. Not just pointless in the sense that every comic book is essentially pointless. Pointless in that it makes a comic book about a super team composed of Twilight author Stephanie Meyer, Barack Obama's wife and, I don't know, Hilary Clinton's dog look like a clear and concise instruction manual for making a raft out of fat people on a predictably calamitous Weight Watcher's cruise through the Bermuda Triangle. This is more pointless than a bald hedgehog that has been sanded down into a perfect sphere and encased in polystyrene. This is...I'm gonna have to start describing the comic soon, aren't I?

Ugh. Anyway, there's not much to say. Deadpool Team Up #899 (i.e. Deadpool Team Up #2) works reasonably well as a Hercules story but I just can't get passed the Deadpool thing. I loved Joe Kelly's Deadpool run. It's a classic that clearly established Deadpool as a uniquely interesting creation. He used to be a genuinely edgy character who did things like incarcerate a blind octogenarian and force her to be his surrogate mother on pain of being locked up in a special torture chamber he had made, whilst gleefully parodying the likes of Spider-Man and Wolverine. It's hard to imagine that version of the character being able to satirise Wolverine with a straight face now. What would he say? 'Hey look, it's that irritating Canadian anti-hero with the easily identifiable mannerisms and Death Star subtle jokes who used to be relevant before they ran him into the ground with a million comic books!'

To be fair, Fred Van Lente does a reasonable job with it. He's a good writer and this doesn't read like he spent months performing sexual favours for Joe Quesada until he graciously agreed to let him write the obscure character, Deadpool. It reads like he got stuck with it and did the best he could. Apparently, Daniel Way's conceit of using various different styles of caption boxes to convey his idea that Deadpool suffers from some kind of mild dissociative identity disorder is now an official aspect of the character we can 'look forward' to seeing in other Deadpool books. Most of the – I shudder as I type the words – funny bits involve playing with this device. I usually reward writers who indicate that they are aware of the problems associated with their books but here that is the problem. The very last thing that Deadpool needs is to be self aware. Like when you accidentally become aware of your own breathing and have to manually inhale and exhale until you can somehow put it out of your mind, there's such a thing as being too self aware for you own good. Deadpool doesn't so much break the fourth wall as walk right off the stage, block the audience's view, steal their popcorn and then spend the whole night describing the show to someone loudly on a cellphone.

Don't buy any more Deadpool books, track down the excellent Joe Kelly stories and read them nine hundred times instead.

Story: 5
Art: 6
Overall: 5

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Deadpool Team-Up

It was ok. Some of the jokes were kinda funny, and thats because FVL is a good writer. I don't get the herc love as everyone else seems too, but I digress. I hate the multiple voices, I was hoping Deadpool stabbing himself would have somehow got rid of them. The last few pages were the best with Deadpool knowing all his promotion is undeserved and puzzling.

This book might have a decent future if FVL was the writer every month, but since they switch it up every month, We'll see how long this lasts

The art is also completely average. I didn't hate it or love it

Story 6
Art 5

Total 5.5
Last edited by Kerny on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

That sucked. What a waste of a comic book.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand