Advertisement

Review Group Week 197 - PUNISHER #11

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 am

thefourthman wrote:This review confuses the hell out of me. I like the story, but since it stars the Punisher it sucks... :?

If it was a regular comic not starring the Punisher, it would have been good. But it doesn't work as it is.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:33 am

You are entitled to your opinion, doesn't mean I find it any less mystifying.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:56 am

I tend to agree with Dragavon on this one. It's a fun comic, but it's not a fun Punisher comic.

I also think that had this had anyone else on art, the reception would be far less enthusiastic.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:03 am

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:16 am

amlah6 wrote:I tend to agree with Dragavon on this one. It's a fun comic, but it's not a fun Punisher comic.

I also think that had this had anyone else on art, the reception would be far less enthusiastic.

I think that's a fair assessment. Great art.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:20 am

maybe... to be honest I went into it expecting to hate it and absolutely loved it. I knew the art would be amazing, but I still expected it to be dumb. Instead I got an interesting mystery and HOJ, don't shoot me, a fun as hell comic.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:21 am

Punisher 11

This shouldn't work, really it shouldn't, but it does

I liked just about everything about this, the japanese monster hunters, the Legion of monsters, and even Frankencastle himself. This won't last, and I wouldn't want it to, but we got here is just a fun little ride. Plus Fin Fang Foom in a cast, and the punisher kicking Man-Thing in the face.

The art is what will bring people to this. Tony Moore may be a genius, and he proves it here. A finely illustrated world he has depcited here with seemingly unlimited Sewer space. I liked all of his design choices, especially his giant-size Man-Thing. (obvious joke is obvious)

Story 8
Art 9

Overall 8.5

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:05 pm

amlah6 wrote:I tend to agree with Dragavon on this one. It's a fun comic, but it's not a fun Punisher comic.

I said that in my review and it's true. Tony Moore is full of win. The latter issues of this title with DAN BRERETON on the title.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 pm

thefourthman wrote:maybe... to be honest I went into it expecting to hate it and absolutely loved it. I knew the art would be amazing, but I still expected it to be dumb. Instead I got an interesting mystery and HOJ, don't shoot me, a fun as hell comic.

You forgot "...written by Garth Ennis..."

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:41 pm

House of J wrote:You forgot "...written by Garth Ennis..."

a that sentence was in reference to The List and it was a typo. Bitch! :twisted:

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:03 pm

I get the negativity I really do. Everyone who loves the punisher for what he is, is probably going to hate this. But there’s Punishermax and there’s this Punisher title, I’m glad they’re doing something totally different with the two books. Punisher #11 is a great stepping on point and wow, is it one hell of a ride. The Punisher being put back together Frankenstein style by Morbius and being asked to be a soldier in a monster war, like everyone else I know this situation won’t last, but why can’t I enjoy the ride whilst it’s in progress. I just have to say Rick Remender is a brave man for doing this story as I can see the amount of back-lash he’ll most likely receive.

Rick Remender and Tony Moore, are a favourite of mine on Fear Agent. And whenever I see Tony Moore’s art I can’t help but noticing Heath Houston from Fear Agent pop up now and again. Tony Moore’s art didn’t seem up to scratch at the start of the issue, I don’t know whether it was due to the inking or the colours but it really seemed Diluted and a little messy. But as the story rushes on Moore’s art catches up and is dead-on near perfect towards the end. Tony Moore is definitely one of my favourite artists and each issue he draws, just convinces me of his greatness even more.

A Punisher book in the proper Marvel universe has always seemed a little boring to me, I mean honestly what can he really do against a proper super villain, and I guess we saw how easily he was taken out when he went up against Daken. But this out of left field idea has broken new ground and made the Punisher an interesting addition to the marvel universe. Marvel max punisher will always be choc-full of gritty real-world crime stories. Now we have FRANKEN-CASTLE, how totally different is that, sit back and enjoy the ride. I will.

Story 7.5
Art 9

Overall – 8.25

I also tend to agree that I would have been a lot less receptive of this if it wasn't Moore on art, I just wouldn't have given a chance, but I'm glad I did.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 pm

This comic only got made because they figured a way to get "Punisher" on the cover.

A story about a 'mercenary who gets blown up real good, and has to come back stitched together as a Frankenstein' would not sell nearly half the copies a "Punisher" comic would. It would be a better comic, but sales levels would doom it to early cancellation.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Old Man wrote:This comic only got made because they figured a way to get "Punisher" on the cover.

A story about a 'mercenary who gets blown up real good, and has to come back stitched together as a Frankenstein' would not sell nearly half the copies a "Punisher" comic would. It would be a better comic, but sales levels would doom it to early cancellation.

Charlie Huston's Deathlok says STFU! :x

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 pm

Old Man wrote:This comic only got made because they figured a way to get "Punisher" on the cover.

I don't get that argument. If this is, indeed, only supposed to be an arc or two it wouldn't be a problem.

Hell, Marvel put out a 10 part maxi called Omega The Unknown about a mute superhero and some teenaged kid with indie lookin' art last year, and I dunno how well it sold, but it sold well enough to finish and get a nice lookin' HC to boot. And it didn't have any big names in the book to help the sales. It was a reboot of some mid-70's character who 2 people knew or cared about.

Now, if Frankencastle is supposed to last longer than that, I can see that argument, yeah.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 pm

House of J wrote:Charlie Huston's Deathlok says STFU! :x

My favorite saint:

St. Fu.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand