Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:56 pm

thefourthman wrote:so this shit is probably gonna score lower? Awesome. I am kind of with you on this book, the book fails on a story level and deserves a 0. Artwise I haven't figured it out yet. It seems fucked up to give it a 1 or something cause there are good things about the art... McFarlane's inks are amazing, Larsen's pages are awesome, but the art also adversely affects the story and is a mess overall. Is this really what 90's Image books were like? Cause this is the first comic I have ever read that feels like it was drawn before it was written.

I can only hope.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Amlah man....I really got to question this pick. What did I just read:

Image United #1

So umm who is the "writer" on this and why are they trying to pass themselves off as Robert Kirkman? Is that some sort of weird inside joke that we are missing? Seriously the internal dialogue alone of the new guy is just painful to get through.

Then of course there's Sarah aka Witchblade getting knocked on the ground and put in a procative pose as usual. Even though under Ron Marz in her own title the character has been actually treated correctly and has changed a lot.

Oh and Badrock....goddamn he is a painful character to read and look at. Is he supposed to be Rob's inner personality or something? Dragon was probably the only actual strong character in this thing both artwise and actual speaking lines.

The "jam session" idea is a good one. One that over all gets accomplished well on a book like Haunt. Here though it's just kind of an eyesore to look at. I'd say the only positives are Silvestri and larsen.

Want to know the good thing about this book? The preview for Haunt in the back.

Story: 1
Art: 1

Over all score: 1

Has next weeks books been picked yet? I need the taste of this terrible book out of my mind as soon as possible.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:18 pm

doombug wrote:Amlah man....I really got to question this pick.

Really? Because from where I'm sitting it appears that I did the impossible and picked a book that everyone can agree on.

You have it admit, it's a pretty impressive feat.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:25 pm

amlah6 wrote:Really? Because from where I'm sitting it appears that I did the impossible and picked a book that everyone can agree on.

Touche sir! :lol:

I cannot wait to read Powers tonight though. It will cleanse the pallet.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:33 pm

amlah6 wrote:Really? Because from where I'm sitting it appears that I did the impossible and picked a book that everyone can agree on.

That's for sure, I had to try three times just to get through it. And with little to no prior knowledge of the characters in made it even harder. I'm off to work to let my head calm down from the crapiness that was Image united. I'll post my review when I get home.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm

As for next weeks pick, I checked Midtown and it seems to have an updated shipping list, nothing really jumped out at me here's what I'm considering:

Blackest night flash #1 - more blackest night, more Johns?
Jonah hex #50 - Big anniversary issue. Only $3.99 instead of Marvel's recent $4.99 for anniversary issues.
Siege the cabal - Siege starts here apparently.
Savage dragon #155 - I've been off and on Savage dragon lately, but this looks interesting. But we reviewed Image United this week.
Thor #604 - I'm really interested in picking up, but a Kieron Gillen book was reviewed not too long ago.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 355 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:38 pm

young neil wrote:As for next weeks pick, I checked Midtown and it seems to have an updated shipping list, nothing really jumped out at me here's what I'm considering:

Jonah hex #50 - Big anniversary issue. Only $3.99 instead of Marvel's recent $4.99 for anniversary issues.
Savage dragon #155 - I've been off and on Savage dragon lately, but this looks interesting. But we reviewed Image United this week.
Thor #604 - I'm really interested in picking up, but a Kieron Gillen book was reviewed not too long ago.

I vote Hex.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:42 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I vote Hex.

I can think of somewhere else you should be voting. :wink:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:45 pm

young neil wrote:As for next weeks pick, I checked Midtown and it seems to have an updated shipping list, nothing really jumped out at me here's what I'm considering:

You got a crap week for sure...

there is also
Fall of the Hulks Alpha - events are always good for traffic, hell look at this week's book and it is mostly on topic talk.

glamourpuss and supergod are out and both are solid, different comics.
Female Force Barbara Walters
Talisman #2

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Hex is a Cooke issue again right? Can't go wrong there.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:46 pm

even an anniversary issue of Hex will lead to problems with people being able to review.

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:even an anniversary issue of Hex will lead to problems with people being able to review.

Worry wort.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:53 pm

I worry because even I might not be able to get ahold of it.

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Postby malcolm reynolds » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:54 pm

All good points. I saw Supergod and Glamourpuss, then I thought about availability issues and people trade-waiting on Supergod. Fall of Hulks also stood out, but there would be way too much RULK-loving/ RULK-hating. Darwyn Cooke on Hex does seem like a win.

So I guess that's it hopefully not too hard to pick up, next week's pick is Jonah Hex #50 :D

Postby ****** » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:07 pm

young neil wrote:So I guess that's it hopefully not too hard to pick up, next week's pick is Jonah Hex #50 :D

[center]Image
Jonah Hex #50
as selected by young neil[/center]
Written by Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Gray
Art by Darwyn Cooke

Darwyn Cooke illustrates a double-sized anniversary issue as we hit #50! Jonah Hex discovers a secret being kept by Tallulah Black that could change everything Hex is about. But happiness has no place in the life of Jonah Hex, so what kind of tragedy awaits our disfigured gunslinger?

DC Universe | 48pg. | Color | $3.99 US

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand