Saturday, December 15, 2018 • Evening Edition • "But first you're gonna blow me!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:02 am

House of J wrote:This validates my belief that Punchy's scale actually begins with 7 at the low end.

OR

This validates my belief that Punchy likes crappy comics.

Either way I win.


i normally don't fault punchy for his blind marvel love bc sometimes i fall into that trap of being a fanboy for marvel but seriously him liking image united and giving it a 7 is indefensible.
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 am

Chubbles wrote:i normally don't fault punchy for his blind marvel love bc sometimes i fall into that trap of being a fanboy for marvel but seriously him liking image united and giving it a 7 is indefensible.


Amlah is like Alexander the Great--he almost achieved the impossible, but his dreams of a Review Group United will soon be dashed as mutiny breaks out.
User avatar

Starlord

Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:26 am

Image United #1: Unlike some in our circle of readers, I was much much older when Image comics came to be. I wasn't into comics to the point where I actually knew names of most writers or artists - I just knew what I liked and didn't. And back then I remember looking at many of these artsits and not liking (for the most part) what I saw. To this day I go from my gut. I've both praised and slammed writers and artists that others seem to have an eternal hate on for. Other than two exceptions, I honestly try to give everything a look without the writer/artists baggage that tends to come with it.

I do agree with my friend Punch that this is a book for the artists. I'd at least hope so because I do enjoy Kirkman's work and this would rip my heart out if I had to believe that this disaster was his fault at all. The art on this book reminds me of everything that I couldn't stand about the look of 90's comics. It's one of the reasons I took such a long break.

Basically this book SUCKED! And I don't mean that in the wonderful way where you lay there thanking God afterward. No, I mean it like when you are four and have to tell your parents that the babysitter violated you in ways that you will never recover from and could quite possibly turn you into the worlds next Jeffrey Dahmer.

This is a new low for reading in this group, and I honestly didn't think we could ever get lower than that train wreck of the issue of Batman that Grant Morisson wrote in frickin' long hand. You want to know why the 90's sucked for long time comic fans? Pick this book up and look at the art. There's your answer!

Story: 0 (there wasn't any)
Art: 1 (for Silvestri alone)
My Score: .5 (only because I really don't think we're allowed to give it a zero, are we?)
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm

This book isn't even worth writing anything about..

Image United #1

Story: Non-existant.

Art: Not sure what part of this 90's flashback appeals to anyone, particularly.. I thought it was all pretty bad. All that was missing was cap-boobs to complete the nostalgia.


Story: 0

Art: 1, but just because it's at least better than the story.

Total: .5/10
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:55 pm

House of J wrote:This validates my belief that Punchy's scale actually begins with 7 at the low end.

OR

This validates my belief that Punchy likes crappy comics.

Either way I win.


7 is a low score for me, true.

And I don't see why you reading a comic and hating it is you winning, I win because I enjoyed myself!
User avatar

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 pm

Image United #1
Hmm... I will give this book one thing, it sure was ambitious. Aside from that is was bad. Before I read it I expected the art to be a train wreck so I was not surprised to see my feelings were correct on that but the story... jeez. Robert Kirkman may be my favorite current writer... I even love The Astounding Wolf-Man... but this here was garbage. I mean, I know the source material isn't that much to work with... these characters are bad, the dialogue was bad, and the story was just bad... and not bad but fun like Rulk, just bad with no redeemable qualities. The only character that was drawn ok and was mildly interesting was Savage Dragon... the rest seemed like bad X-Men knockoffs. The art was just a bunch of posing and many of the panels made no sense... this was probably the worst book this group has reviewed
STORY - 1
ART - 2
OVERALL - 1.5
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:02 pm

Punchy wrote:7 is a low score for me, true.

And I don't see why you reading a comic and hating it is you winning, I win because I enjoyed myself!


But you lose in the long run, because you like crappy comics. :D
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:04 pm

Chris wrote:But you lose in the long run, because you like crappy comics. :D


But I didn't think this was crappy, so I still win.

I really don't see what was so bad about this, sure the story was weak, but the story is not the main feature of this book, and the artwork was a new experience and the jam was successful. I think most people made up their minds beforehand because they hate the early 90s.
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Punchy wrote:But I didn't think this was crappy, so I still win.

I really don't see what was so bad about this, sure the story was weak, but the story is not the main feature of this book, and the artwork was a new experience and the jam was successful. I think most people made up their minds beforehand because they hate the early 90s.


:roll: EVERY SINGLE WEEK you say the same stupid thing, anyone who didn't like [whatever book it is] must have made their mind up beforehand. If I had time to find the huge roll-eyes throwing up all the little rolly-eyes, it would be perfectly applicable here. Broken record time. Again.
User avatar

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 pm

House of J wrote:If I had time to find the huge roll-eyes throwing up all the little rolly-eyes, it would be perfectly applicable here


This is better

Image
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:35 pm

That is totally cool!
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:36 pm

wtf is going on? old man and punchy score close to each other as the rest of us flat out hated it.

what is this?! :shock: :?
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm

doombug wrote:wtf is going on? old man and punchy score close to each other as the rest of us flat out hated it.

what is this?! :shock: :?


I think a lot of it is just wildly different scales. Like those weeks when one person will just hate a book but another person will like it a lot, but both give the book roughly the same score.

******

Postby ****** » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm

doombug wrote:what is this?! :shock: :?


Awesome. 8)
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Punchy wrote:But I didn't think this was crappy, so I still win.

I really don't see what was so bad about this, sure the story was weak, but the story is not the main feature of this book, and the artwork was a new experience and the jam was successful. I think most people made up their minds beforehand because they hate the early 90s.


i grew up on mutant x, deadpool and amalgam. if i hated the 90's then i was one hell of a masochist. :wink:

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Glaeken, Google [Bot] and 24 guests