Monday, November 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "We're the god damn Outhousers."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Old Man wrote:The Review Group threads are the highlight of the News Stand. It's where the most communication get done, for better or for worse.

Yeah

I only have two replies in my Wolverine issue from the 90's thread. I mean, I thought at least someone whould chime in to say how much they hate Wolverine or something :x :P

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:51 pm

Chubbles wrote:doombug is angry and gosh darnit he's not gonna take it anymore

saying everyone is jaded and whatever is stupid. they don't have to like the comic. it was shit and most of the group agrees.

jude and punchy can enjoy it but trying to berate or destroy others opinions and reviews is beyond idiotic.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:57 pm

doombug wrote:saying everyone is jaded and whatever is stupid. they don't have to like the comic. it was shit and most of the group agrees.

jude and punchy can enjoy it but trying to berate or destroy others opinions and reviews is beyond idiotic.

You're neglecting the fact that compared to my one comment about people being jaded, there were a ton of comments mocking or deriding Punchy and I for liking the book. The ones toward Punchy occured before my comment. And I don't take them seriously - it's all in good fun.

Wally Brando

Rain Partier

Postby Wally Brando » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:01 am

The moral of this week's RG thread (and every week's RG thread) is that everyone's opinions are valid.

Some are just more valid than others.

And majority rules.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:27 am

Seriously when ever I call for someone to be kicked out of the group it's just a joke, unless I'm talking about sire.

prozacman

Expert Post Whore

Postby prozacman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:30 am

When you post these up, you should include a link to The Outhouse Podcast: Episode 8 on Itunes. The guys talk about Image United for about a half hour of the show. The discussion starts at about the 53 min mark. Fucking Funny!

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:34 am

Image United #1

This was some crazy discombobulated comic booking. Super hokey. Completely over-the-top. Wonky inner dialogue. Seriously fun.

Seriously.

Kirkman has been taking a beating this week in some of the other reviews, but I think in reality his work in this comic is genius. Image United isn't intended to be some modern deconstructive masterpiece, it's a bombastic explosion of awesomeness. Kirkman clearly knows and loves the source material he is working with and has crafted a comic that would have fit perfectly in 1992.

Having 7 artists working on a comic at once is a pretty bold choice. Having Rob Liefeld do the layouts for that comic is nothing short of insane. Image United delivers insanity page after page after page. Whether you're a fan of the artists who have collaborated on this or not, just the sheer logistics of putting this comic together is a pretty astounding accomplishment. Amazingly enough, it felt to me like the more artists that worked on a page the better the comic worked. The first half of the book with the mixed artists established a look and a flow that was lost later on when you would have a page with just Dragon or just Shadowhawk or just Spawn. Just like 90's Image, fights good, everything else, eh wat, when's the next fight?

Image United is like some crazy time machine into the past warts and all. Wonked out pacing, oftentimes incomprehensible fights, so many variants that you'll run out of fingers trying to count them all. I would have been disappointed with anything less.

Story: 7
Art: 6
Fun: 11
Non-Incentive Covers: 7
Overall: 7.75

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:34 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Seriously when ever I call for someone to be kicked out of the group it's just a joke, unless I'm talking about sire.

you making a joke? when the hell does that ever happen? :wink:

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:45 am

doombug wrote:you making a joke? when the hell does that ever happen? :wink:

I don't know but you'd think some people might have figured it out by now.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 am

guitarsmashley wrote:I don't know but you'd think some people might have figured it out by now.

I think it's the frequent vaginal blood references that throws people off.

Postby ****** » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:54 am

If anyone doubts the awesomeness of next week's book, take a gander at the preview Cooke posted on his blog...
[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:16 am

amlah6 wrote:If anyone doubts the awesomeness of next week's book, take a gander at the preview Cooke posted on his blog...
[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]

I would drink a quart of punchy's vaginal blood to own that art.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:25 am

amlah6 wrote:If anyone doubts the awesomeness of next week's book, take a gander at the preview Cooke posted on his blog...
[spoiler]
Image[/spoiler]
goddammit... that's coming out next week and that's more awesome than I expected.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:08 am

doombug wrote:You know what annoys the shit out me about all this:

jude and Punchy basically insulting the rest of us because we didn't enjoy it.

I'd like to restate for the record and I know Greg is with me on this: I wanted to fucking love this book but it hit every single bad note with me. the only positive was the cool Haunt back up and Dragon.

I already know Sarah coming into the book is going to be nothing like the character Ron Marz has turned her into, Kirkman is so much better than his writing here and Fortess is just a lame character.

Sometimes people just don't like shit guys. :wink:

How about me being insulted for liking it? Not 'basically insulted', actually.

Think on that!

Oh man, that Cooke Hex art looks amaaazing.

john lewis hawk

Founder of The Outhouse

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:15 am

Punchy wrote:How about me being insulted for liking it? Not 'basically insulted', actually.

Think on that!

Oh man, that Cooke Hex art looks amaaazing.
you suck it up, winston!!

leave a comment with facebook