Advertisement

Review Group Week 198 - IMAGE UNITED #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:06 pm

stingerman wrote:Holy cloned Spider-Men, you guys didn't like this issue, lol!

I thought it was pretty good, if anything it was entertaining. I did grow up with Image and with Image United definitely didn't expect this to be the next Watchmen.

I thought it was cool seeing each creator's characters and art next to each other. It was fun for me to compare Liefeld and Larsen's, McFarlane and Silvestri etc.

The two page contribution that McFarlane did with Spawn was frickin' great and made the book for me! However, the Larsen page that followed was absolutely horrible, lol!

Regarding Kirkman's writing, in Kirkman I trust, as we just saw with Haunt - imo, issues one and two were pretty average/bad, however issue three was frickin' great!

So I will be sticking around if just for the fact that Kirkman is writing (as I did with Haunt and its paid off). Nowadays, I think its easy for some just to attack the image creators and dismiss them all together. This book did bring back some good memories for me. True the early Image stuff wasn't the best but as I said it was entertaining stuff and that alone was worth it for me. ;)

You should give your review a numbered score and join the group! 8)

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 99 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:13 pm

I thought it was pretty good, if anything it was entertaining. I did grow up with Image and with Image United definitely didn't expect this to be the next Watchmen.

I thought it was cool seeing each creator's characters and art next to each other. It was fun for me to compare Liefeld and Larsen's, McFarlane and Silvestri etc.

The two page contribution that McFarlane did with Spawn was frickin' great and made the book for me! However, the Larsen page that followed was absolutely horrible, lol!

Regarding Kirkman's writing, in Kirkman I trust, as we just saw with Haunt - imo, issues one and two were pretty average/bad, however issue three was frickin' great!

So I will be sticking around if just for the fact that Kirkman is writing (as I did with Haunt and its paid off). Nowadays, I think its easy for some just to attack the image creators and dismiss them all together. This book did bring back some good memories for me. True the early Image stuff wasn't the best but as I said it was entertaining stuff and that alone was worth it for me. ;)

Dude! Welcome to the board, your a personal favorite poster of mine from the Benbo aren't you? You post all the cosmic stuff?

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:43 pm

I agree with some of the stuff you posted, but I still think the issue was weak. Unfortunately, it was also representative of the worst of Image founder which is "style over substance."

I don't know what the logistics behind the project were, but they should have had someone other than Liefeld do the layouts. I don't know what they were thinking but Liefeld hasn't created interesting layouts in 15 years.

Honestly, I bet you it affected the script.

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

stingerman
Birdman

Postby stingerman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 pm

jsalwen wrote:I agree with some of the stuff you posted, but I still think the issue was weak. Unfortunately, it was also representative of the worst of Image founder which is "style over substance."

I don't know what the logistics behind the project were, but they should have had someone other than Liefeld do the layouts. I don't know what they were thinking but Liefeld hasn't created interesting layouts in 15 years.

Honestly, I bet you it affected the script.

I assumed Liefeld was the only one not doing anything, lol.

And per the above post, yep thats me from the Bendis boards as well!

Doc Jon
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Doc Spider

Postby Doc Jon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:31 pm

stingerman wrote:I assumed Liefeld was the only one not doing anything, lol.

And per the above post, yep thats me from the Bendis boards as well!

Then as we usually joke on the podcast, get Greg Capullo to do the fucking layouts.:-D

HJJOUNB SAWLWEN HATES MEO!!!! -Royal

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Selected here (second page)

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2009/12/1 ... he-decade/

as among the worst comics of the decade.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand