Advertisement

Review Group Week 199 - JONAH HEX #50

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:21 pm

doombug wrote:I didn't insult you, you're mixing me up with Lee who no offense but you basically insulted first. Do you understand pulp, noir, mystery stuff? I'm asking honestly.

Of course I do, and Cooke's spirit wasn't that, or if it was, then so is Batman.

It's a fine line between pulp and superhero, look at Incognito recently, or the Batman/Doc Savage one-shot and First Wave.

Cooke strayed too far one side of that line.

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:21 pm

Punchy wrote:No, fuck you.

I just said I didn't like it, and immediately you jump down my throat, forcing me to explain why I didn't like it.

THIS WAS JUMPING DOWN YOUR THROAT?
Punchy wrote:
His art makes even bad stories good, I mean, I found the writing on his Spirit run to be very average, but I still bought every issue because of the art.

You are such a weird cat. Cooke's Spirit was brilliant in every single facet. It was perfect Homage. It was also a complex story told through multiple single issues.

Really, dude? All I did was disagree with you, not only that the very next page I said we would have to agree to disagree and that was FOUR FUCKING pages ago. You are the one who decided to go insane and start spouting nonsense about what pulp is and who the Spirit is when it was obvious from each successive post that you had no idea what you were even talking about.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:Really, dude? All I did was disagree with you, not only that the very next page I said we would have to agree to disagree and that was FOUR FUCKING pages ago. You are the one who decided to go insane and start spouting nonsense about what pulp is and who the Spirit is when it was obvious from each successive post that you had no idea what you were even talking about.

You were the one who got angry.

I'm surprised you're so pissed.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:24 pm

Punchy wrote:Of course I do, and Cooke's spirit wasn't that, or if it was, then so is Batman.

It's a fine line between pulp and superhero, look at Incognito recently, or the Batman/Doc Savage one-shot and First Wave.

I said earlier that Batman was a pulp response to superheroes. I also said that much of what is Superheroes was taken from Doc Savage, yet you still talk like you are an authority on it and now you are saying things that we have already said. Seriously dude, you might want to be quiet on the subject you are digging a hole fast and furiously and claiming to be on solid unmoving land at the same time.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:26 pm

I am going home where getting on the internet pisses me off and I will have to stay away from this thread. Cause I am going to give myself a coronary at this point. See you guys next week.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:26 pm

thefourthman wrote:I said earlier that Batman was a pulp response to superheroes. I also said that much of what is Superheroes was taken from Doc Savage, yet you still talk like you are an authority on it and now you are saying things that we have already said. Seriously dude, you might want to be quiet on the subject you are digging a hole fast and furiously and claiming to be on solid unmoving land at the same time.

I never said I was an authority on anything, in my opinion, Cooke's run was a superhero story. Not a traditional Lee/Kirby or Mort Weisinger superhero story, but still much more superheroey than the character probably should be.

I don't understand why you're taking such offense at this.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Of course I do, and Cooke's spirit wasn't that, or if it was, then so is Batman.

I'm really trying my best to hold back from insulting you right now man but it's rally hard.

Incognito is a superhero story! Brubaker said as much! Criminal is not. (Duh)

First Wave is supposed to be pulpy and not at all super hero like. That's the whole difference between first wave and the main DCU.

Cooke's run on The Spirit is the very definition of pulp! Batman is not because the only villains in the batman books that are close to pulpy are two face, scarface and possibly the scarecrow.

If your really trying to claim that Cooke's run was a cape book (which is what I'll refer to super hero books as in this argument now) you are the very definition of fucking crazy and obviously read something different then the rest of us.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am going home where getting on the internet pisses me off and I will have to stay away from this thread. Cause I am going to give myself a coronary at this point. See you guys next week.

I win! :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:29 pm

thefourthman wrote:I am going home where getting on the internet pisses me off and I will have to stay away from this thread. Cause I am going to give myself a coronary at this point. See you guys next week.

Aw c'mon, log back on later, we'll start a yoga thread or something.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:31 pm

doombug wrote:I'm really trying my best to hold back from insulting you right now man but it's rally hard.

Incognito is a superhero story! Brubaker said as much! Criminal is not. (Duh)

First Wave is supposed to be pulpy and not at all super hero like. That's the whole difference between first wave and the main DCU.

Cooke's run on The Spirit is the very definition of pulp! Batman is not because the only villains in the batman books that are close to pulpy are two face, scarface and possibly the scarecrow.

If your really trying to claim that Cooke's run was a cape book (which is what I'll refer to super hero books as in this argument now) you are the very definition of fucking crazy and obviously read something different then the rest of us.

But Incognito was heavily based on the pulps, and First Wave has Batman in it, one of the premier suprheroes.

The point is that 'pulpy' and superhero books are very closely linked, and it's not that much of a leap to consider Cooke's run more of a superhero comic. I mean, it was in the 22-page format of a superhero book, featured supernatural threats, had lots of cliffhangers and was drawn in a superhero style.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Right, I'm going to watch a movie now.

So you can all stop being so fucking indignant and maybe discuss the issue at hand.

I apologise for derailing the thread, I apologise for daring to have a differing take on the character of the Spirit, and to have a different opinion of Cooke's run. Remind me to never to express my thoughts again.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:36 pm

....we are done with this argument because your starting to become Twig Punchy and I'm about to go Lee on you.

At the end of the day your really not getting what both Lee and I are saying so it's really not worth me trying to continuously explain. All your doing is pissing me off by being this dense.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 pm

doombug wrote:....we are done with this argument because your starting to become Twig Punchy and I'm about to go Lee on you.

At the end of the day your really not getting what both Lee and I are saying so it's really not worth me trying to continuously explain. All your doing is pissing me off by being this dense.

Vice versa.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 pm

You bitches should be complimenting my great review instead of trying to decide which bra goes with what panties.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Punchy wrote:Right, I'm going to watch a movie now.

So you can all stop being so fucking indignant and maybe discuss the issue at hand.

I apologise for derailing the thread, I apologise for daring to have a differing take on the character of the Spirit, and to have a different opinion of Cooke's run. Remind me to never to express my thoughts again.

Translation: I'm going to take my ball home and never play with you again because obviously when I'm fucking wrong on the topic I brought up it means no one ever takes my opinion seriously. :roll:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand