Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:36 am

Punchy wrote:It is more informal though, that's a fact, some people are posting 1 sentence reviews.

just because others, who don't contribute to the front page (outside of the group), treat it otherwise, doesn't mean that you should. Half the reason I go on and on with you (well other than it is entertaining, to me, anyhow) is that I sometimes genuinely am trying to figure out why you feel the way you do. If it is something that I can use to better my writing then there it is. Heck writing in the review group help me reign in my long babbling reviews so much that by the time I got to BF, I found it hard to actually meet their word count quotas at first. I had to find a happy balance... which is how you get better at anything, finding out how to be more successful at something... why would you or I or Eric or any of the other more serious writers look at the group any other way?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:36 am

Jubilee wrote:I don't want to give a score as I literally can't finish it.

Well, you suck. ;-)

Most importantly, thanks for the honest opinion. I have yet to read it, but expect to dislike it for a couple reasons.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:37 am

The butthurt is strong in this thread.

I was under the impression that participation isn't mandatory as long as you do a review per month or whatever, so I dunno why everyone is so far up Twig's nuts about not doing a review for this.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

Old Man wrote:Well, you suck. ;-)

Most importantly, thanks for the honest opinion. I have yet to read it, but expect to dislike it for a couple reasons.
:| , who are you and what have you done with fucking old man?
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

thefourthman wrote:just because others, who don't contribute to the front page (outside of the group), treat it otherwise, doesn't mean that you should. Half the reason I go on and on with you (well other than it is entertaining, to me, anyhow) is that I sometimes genuinely am trying to figure out why you feel the way you do. If it is something that I can use to better my writing then there it is. Heck writing in the review group help me reign in my long babbling reviews so much that by the time I got to BF, I found it hard to actually meet their word count quotas at first. I had to find a happy balance... which is how you get better at anything, finding out how to be more successful at something... why would you or I or Eric or any of the other more serious writers look at the group any other way?

I just treat it differently, for me, I don't really think that the RG goes on the front page, this is just a bit of fun, and a bit of practice.

I haven't even written my review for this book yet, it may reflect what a mythical child thinks, I dunno yet, it's a spontaneous thing, that's why they tend to ramble, with my front page ones, I make them shorter.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Chubbles » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:39 am

Chris wrote:The butthurt is strong in this thread.

I was under the impression that participation isn't mandatory as long as you do a review per month or whatever, so I dunno why everyone is so far up Twig's nuts about not doing a review for this.

twigg and punchy are easy targets so they get heat no matter what

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:40 am

thefourthman wrote:I picked this one, because I thought it would be a better bridge for pigeonholed capes and tights readers, learned my lesson, next time I will pick completely from the heart.

It was an excellent pick because it was out of the sight of many readers.

Variety = spice of life.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:42 am

Chris wrote:The butthurt is strong in this thread.

no one is up his but for not doing a review, that is his right, one way or the other. But to come in and say I hate this book... then to start to read it and say I still hate this book and can't finish it... well why did you bother and more importantly why say so?

So we told the fucker we thought he was being close minded and said why...

Also that bullshit is really about being able to afford to participate. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to not participate this week, you should see my like second post in the thread, the one with the spoiler thingy if you want to know more about why.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:43 am

Old Man wrote:It was an excellent pick because it was out of the sight of many readers.

Variety = spice of life.

true!

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

I mean, it might have been well made for what it is. And it might appeal to kids. But I started to read it, and just knew it would be a chore to finish,especially because it was taking a long time to read. (Which is obviously not always a good thing)

I don't mind this book being picked, I havn't said you shouldn't pick it. I just don't find this sorta thing enjoyable.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

also I have taken some shit and expect a lot more for not participating in next week's thread and am actually hurt that you fuckers aren't doing more to convince me I should read it anyhow. :cry:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:44 am

thefourthman wrote:also I have taken some shit and expect a lot more for not participating in next week's thread and am actually hurt that you fuckers aren't doing more to convince me I should read it anyhow. :cry:

We shouldn't have to, it's a standalone one-shot that's part of DH's one-shot promotion, which means it shouldn't be too spoilery.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:45 am

thefourthman wrote:shows your ignorance

In a way, ignorance is good. With time, it can be fixed.

Stupidity can't be fixed.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:46 am

thefourthman wrote:no one is up his but for not doing a review, that is his right, one way or the other. But to come in and say I hate this book... then to start to read it and say I still hate this book and can't finish it... well why did you bother and more importantly why say so?

So we told the fucker we thought he was being close minded and said why...

Also that bullshit is really about being able to afford to participate. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to not participate this week, you should see my like second post in the thread, the one with the spoiler thingy if you want to know more about why.

Regardless of that, as long as Twigg makes one review per month, it shouldn't matter.

And I can see where he's coming from. He thought he'd hate this book. He gave it a shot to win him over. It didn't. What's so hard to understand about that? It's not exactly rocket science?

And why say so? Why not? Are we only allowed to say good things about the book? He wanted to share his thoughts about it, and at least let it be known that he gave it a shot, probably. Who knows.

Personally, I'm with him on it, though I did finish it. I knew I wouldn't like this, because I've tried Disney comics in the past and I'm just not a fan in general. I tried it, and I was right.

But it's completely in his right to not finish a book. Who cares? You guys get very anal about this stuff just because it's a book you like.

I remember Punchy was so protective of his pick when he had Ultimate Avengers, too.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 am

Jubilee wrote:I mean, it might have been well made for what it is. And it might appeal to kids. But I started to read it, and just knew it would be a chore to finish,especially because it was taking a long time to read. (Which is obviously not always a good thing)

uh.. there are words in my comic, make them stop and it is twice as long as my marvel ones, yikes :wink:
I don't mind this book being picked, I havn't said you shouldn't pick it. I just don't find this sorta thing enjoyable.

never accused you of any of that, in fact, I think I actually said you should finish it and then tell us plainly why you didn't like it. :P

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand