Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:10 pm

thefourthman wrote:Great! :x
Old Man, you killed the thread.

Everyone googled yaio and are now too busy fapping, imo

But some were obviously fapping while they were posting.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I'll finish this and say why it isn't for me later.

I think the main thing is the total lack of suspense.

Postby ****** » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:26 pm

Old Man wrote:But some were obviously fapping while they were posting.

That's different from the times you aren't posting about yaoi how exactly?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Walt Disney Comics #701

I ended up reading this twice. Second time I had to really adjust my thinking to remember that time in my very young life when these were the comics that I loved. I kind of got there, but it was a struggle.

Still, it was cute. Can't wait to give it to my 7 year old son to read. I'm interested to see what he thinks. I can't be fair to this book by looking at it through the eyes of a 43 year old man, so I'm rating this one by using that inner child that still lurks in all of us.

Story: 7
Art: 9
My Score: 7.75

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I just realized the webcomic week was coming up. I know i'm doing Looking for group and Least I could do.

I better see some "New Comic Day" reviews on the webcomic week you fuckers. :lol:

Oh and Lee it's a one shot that doesn't need or spoil anything heavily about the book, why are you refusing to read it? :lol:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:56 pm

Jubilee wrote:I'll finish this and say why it isn't for me later.

I think the main thing is the total lack of suspense.

It's a fucking all ages book! :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 pm

doombug wrote:I just realized the webcomic week was coming up. I know i'm doing Looking for group and Least I could do.

I would love some ideas. I really dig Bayou, Sin Titulo, Freakangels, and Wondermark. Hate Achewood. I would like to do something I am unfamiliar with.

doombug wrote:I better see some "New Comic Day" reviews on the webcomic week you fuckers. :lol:

Really, dude, do you really want me to review it? And before you say yes, remember my words about Riley when I reviewed issue one of Proof. :wink:

doombug wrote:Oh and Lee it's a one shot that doesn't need or spoil anything heavily about the book, why are you refusing to read it? :lol:

I was trying to take the heat off of Punchy this week, but then Twigg had to get all stupid, so there went that idea.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:I was trying to take the heat off of Punchy this week, but then Twigg had to get all stupid, so there went that idea.

Heh what did you say about Riley I don't remember?

And I think I'm prepared for you guys to review what I have been having so much working on for almost a year now. 8)

I'm sure Chad can take the critiques and Bill and I are ready to handle it.

Seriously I'm all for you guys reading/enjoying and reviewing New Comic Day that week.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:59 pm

so how do I find a web comic, anyway?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:01 pm

starlord wrote:so how do I find a web comic, anyway?

just go to www.sintitulocomic.com (Eli Katz, if you are not reading this one, you need to check it out) but there is zuda.com as well. There is also the category by the favorites committee? so they should be of some assistance.
Last edited by thefourthman on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:33 pm

Isn't Amazing Spider-Man a web comic?
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Old Man wrote:Isn't Amazing Spider-Man a web comic?

as Topo would say, "Nice...." :-D

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:56 pm

http://comicrelated.com/news/4279/new-comic-day-22

Please to read more then that one. Links to all the previous are there too! 8)

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:59 am

I'm going to review this book:

From the time I started reading the previously page, I knew this comic wasn't for me. Something about an ultra team getting rid of the ultrapods. Ultra this, Ultra that. I hate repetitive dialogue in comics, and this was a chore to get through. I originally stopped when the evil guy was like

"This is why you can't rely on criminals.

*a panel of him standing there

"Except me of course" The dialogue is just cringeworthy, and obviously aimed at kids. nothing wrong with that if you are a kid, but it's a chore to get through at this age. I see other people are mentioning the fact that they changed the review if they were a kid. I'm not to be doing that, I don't think it's fair on other books I havn't changed my aspect of reading for.

The cloverleaf fight sold it for me, it was just a bunch of random events which I guess would have been funnier if I was a kid. The art was sound enough though

2/10.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:29 am

so here is the review to go with the score I posted earlier:
First off, let it be noted that the art team here does an extraordinary job. European comics are often noted for their art, but to have classic American characters recreated with such skill and still be instantly familiar feeling is a treat. Dalena and Gula should be commended for the feat. Chunky style is not void of fine line work and the colors are dynamic. It is stunning to see a kids' book that looks this accomplished. Maybe Marvel’s Oz series isn’t the pinnacle of all ages artwork.

The story is your normal superhero fare. There is a super team, the Disney Ultraheroes, facing off with a team of villains, the Sinister 7. There is a new member trying to prove himself and secret identities are a big concern. This issue even lets the classic comic trope of having superhero action be big news for media outlets creep into the panels.

If the writers did not inject the Disney stable of characters from Mickey to Peg-Leg Pete to Uncle Scrooge into the script there would be nothing to talk about here. That they do more than just interject the Disney faces into costumes shows the enduring love for Walt’s cartoons. The voices are pitch perfect and the humor right in line with the modus operandi of the mother company’s output - be it classic Goofy shorts or Darkwing Duck. It just feels right and that is a big thing.

Rest of the review here:
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/det ... tories-701

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand