Advertisement

Review Group Week 201 - WALT DISNEY COMICS AND STORIES #701

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:35 am

Jubilee wrote:I'm going to review this book:

From the time I started reading the previously page, I knew this comic wasn't for me. Something about an ultra team getting rid of the ultrapods. Ultra this, Ultra that. I hate repetitive dialogue in comics, and this was a chore to get through. I originally stopped when the evil guy was like

"This is why you can't rely on criminals.

*a panel of him standing there

"Except me of course" The dialogue is just cringeworthy, and obviously aimed at kids. nothing wrong with that if you are a kid, but it's a chore to get through at this age. I see other people are mentioning the fact that they changed the review if they were a kid. I'm not to be doing that, I don't think it's fair on other books I havn't changed my aspect of reading for.

The cloverleaf fight sold it for me, it was just a bunch of random events which I guess would have been funnier if I was a kid. The art was sound enough though

2/10.

so, and I respect the fact that you say it wasn't for you, but it's the there's nothing for me here comment that gets me, you didn't like all the humor directed at the mainstream comic. Peg Leg Pete's obvious relation to Doc Ock. The silliness of Donald and Daisy's lie about secret identities and the play on the normal Moonlighting sit com romance. Super Goof's Super Goobers. Mickey's feeling out of place even though he is one of the most able? Cloverleaf's obvious analog of Booster Gold...

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:22 am

Walt Disney's Comics And Stories #701 - 'Ultraheroes' - Salati, Secchi, Ferrari & Turconi

Story - I reviewed an issue of Mickey Mouse & Friends for the front page recently, and found it an interesting and enjoyable romp, it took these classic characters and put them in a fantasy milieu, it was different from what I was expecting. This issue of WDC&S was also different from my expectations, but not necessarily in a good way. Like the other series put Mickey and Pals in a fantasy context, this puts them into a superhero one. Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Daisy and others now have superpowers, and are fighting supervillains to save the world.

It's very standard stuff, anyone who has read any superhero comic ever will be familiar here, the only thing that sets this apart from anything else from Marvel or DC is that instead of hyper-muscled steroid freaks punching eachother, it's cartoon ducks. But then again, there is Howard. I just couldn't find anything here to hook me apart from the novelty of seeing Mickey Mouse as a superhero, it's a stretched out webcomic sketch really. From my limited knowledge of Disney Comics (they've never been particularly big in the UK, which is odd, since across Europe they are massive, this issue is an Italian translation) I expect quiet humour set in Duckburg or something, not mildly amusing superheroics. I want something different from Disney, and here it's just the same as 80% of mainstream comics. Now whether that's an indictment of Disney or Marvel and DC, that's up to you, but still, Disney should be playing to their own strengths and genres. Fittingly, my favourite scenes were the ones that involved Scrooge McDuck and the Beagle Boys, characters who are here no different than their classic selves.

The dialogue in this issue was pretty stilted at times, but it is a translation, so I can forgive that, they did their job well, this is a comic for kids and should be easy for them to follow.

It's not all bad, there are some interesting twists and ideas, I liked the character of Cloverleaf and how his luck powers worked, that was some genuinely funny stuff. And the Donald/Daisy relationship, with neither of them realising the other was a superhero was clever. But apart from that, the villains were stock, the characterization was negligible and I was only mildy diverted from the snow outside. Not the best book.

I suppose this book would be a good way to get a young child into superhero comics, using characters they know, but they all know Batman or Spider-Man anyway, and you could just start them off on Marvel Adventures or Johnny DC. Boom! would do well to let Disney comics stand on their own, and not try to put them into other genres, as an adult reader, I want Carl Barks from Disney, not Jack Kirby. It may sound hypocritical for me to want these comics to be more classic, but it's not nostalgia, I have no nostalgia for these books, I didn't grow up with them, I just want more variety in comics, and this is just another superhero book now, when it could be something different.

Art - The artwork in this issue was probably the best part of it, it was expressive and european, but also fit in with the classic Disney style. It was loose at times, and that worked. I think what it reminded me the most of was Ben Caldwell's art in Wednesday Comics Wonder Woman, a strip which got some criticism, but I really enjoyed. Turconi is a very good artist, and I'd like to see him on some more traditional Disney style stories.

Best Line - 'What good is Midnight without a Midnight snack?' Wise words Fat Duck dude.

5/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:33 pm

It's funny that you blame Boom! yet acknowledge this is a translation (i.e. it was probably- actually was- a comic released elsewhere first)... the Pixar books Boom! is handling in house. These books are previously released material that is being translated. Just as the Gemstone books were and Disney books in America have generally been this way since Dell stopped publishing.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:It's funny that you blame Boom! yet acknowledge this is a translation (i.e. it was probably- actually was- a comic released elsewhere first)... the Pixar books Boom! is handling in house. These books are previously released material that is being translated. Just as the Gemstone books were and Disney books in America have generally been this way since Dell stopped publishing.

I just don't know the name of the Italian company :P

Why don't Boom! create their own new stories?

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:04 pm

Punchy wrote:I just don't know the name of the Italian company :P

Why don't Boom! create their own new stories?
Maybe it's just cheaper to translate the stories that are already being produced for a major market in a different country?

Maybe if the Disney comics takes off here, Boom may get more budget to do their own stories. And who to say that there isn't another Carl Barks out there waiting to be discovered.
[center]Image[/center]

[center]To the left, to the left.[/center]

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Walt Disney's Comics And Stories

I love this series. In fact, it is one of my favorite series of all time. That pretty much assures this issue of a great review, right? Nope.

As I showed elsewhere on this site, http://www.theouthousers.com/forum/view ... hp?t=33702, I really love WDC&S. And part of what I liked was that it was an anthology title. There were always several stories in every issue, with the occasional continued story. This issue has only one story, and is but one part of many...10 parts, if I remember the solicitation properly.

Another part was that the art style was pretty much consistent other the years. One could certainly tell that there were different artists doing the work, but it was all pretty much of the house style.* This book isn't of that style, and I find that disturbing. To be fair, I also found it to be disturbing in some stories that Gemstone published during the last five years.

These are cartoon characters, but they don't work best when drawn to be cartoony.** It is the 'realism' of the art, if you see the point, that makes the universe more palatable. When every panel has outrageous drawings, no panel can stand out. When all the panels feel the same, the dynamics of the story are muted.

I'd have to give this a 6. It's professionally done, but nothing I'd continue to read. In fact, I had already stopped buying it with issue 699, the first that BOOM! published. I have many of the older issues, and have every issue since number 511, first published by Gladstone back in 1984. I'm sorry to break that run, but this has become just another average comic book. With so many books on the market these days, this had finally become unimportant to me.

* Most companies have a house style. It varies from time to time. Archie has had the most consistent style, that of Dan DeCarlo, but even that is changing.

** Not that this is overly cartoony, but still. Of similar vein, but something that completely offends me, is the tendency of morning radio 'humor', where one person says something that's not even mildly amusing, and the three co-hosts howl with laughter for 12.37 seconds. If everything is funny (which, in this case, isn't), it all becomes the same...background noise. Ever notice that most action movies have a slow moment or two just before the ultimate action? It eases the tension before heading again to the ultimate climactic moments.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Punchy wrote:Why don't Boom! create their own new stories?

The license to create new is probably too expensive. Even Gemstone was doing reprints of European stuff, along with older stuff.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:And who's to say that there isn't another Carl Barks out there waiting to be discovered.

Don Rosa filled that role for years. But I don't know that Rosa is still making new comics.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Walt Disney's Comics #701

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I think BOOM! is one of the strongest publishers out there right now. Rather than be bought by Marvel or something, I'd like to see where they're at in 5 years if they continue to put out top-quality comics and take interesting chances like DADOES and publish fun books for kids using licensed properties kids like. (Of course, what happens when the current licensed Disney properties remains to be seen--I won't bore you with the rumors I've heard.)

Sooner or later I knew I was going to stumble upon a BOOM! offering I couldn't rave about. I've flipped through some of the other BOOM Kids! offerings from time to time, enough to help pin down what it is about WDC #701 I don't like. First off, the writing.

Or maybe I should say, probably the translation. The dialogue and humor felt flat to me. Honestly? I don't see a lot here that would make a kid laugh. As a book dealer, I know the importance of a good translation, which can make a certain edition sought after while burying others in obscurity due to a notoriously lousy translation. Although it might seem intuitively obvious that a kids comic would be vastly easier to translate than a longer more adult text, and they probably are, it's those little jokes and nuances of speech that can ruin an otherwise sound translation. A youthful reader would be unlikely to note the names in the credits and realize this is probably translated from eye-talian, originally published as part of the popular European Disney comics line. I would simply think, "Not funny." Of course, it may be a great translation of a dull script. One thing we know for sure kids, the fat duck eats too much and women worry about fat thighs!

Another problem I had was especially early in this issue I found some of the changes of scene from panel to panel slightly confusing, with no indicator of a scene-switch, and little in the cadence of the text to clue me in either. This isn't a problem later, when the switches are cued with a "Meanwhile" editorial box and the like. I find these useful--without them it's less like a comic and more like a cartoon, but they are effective to establishing the story beats on paper to me. They are part of my memory of reading as a child as well.

The artwork had it's good points and bad to me. This is Disney heavily influenced by a modern design style. It's not 100% to my taste, I miss the solid line work and backgrounds I remember from the days when I read Scrooge McDuck and friends years ago. But I recognize this is an extremely popular style peeking through here--although I am predisposed to view the panels lacking backgrounds as indicators of a rushed job or pennies pinched. The illustration of Uncle Scrooge and various on the inside back cover is the kind of style I like for this kind of comic.

It could be the result of the translation, but I really don't think there was a spark here to grab a kid's attention away from tv, dvds, video games, internets, etc. Disney's decades of solid branding and expert marketing have shown people are very loyal to these characters, though, one way or another.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:53 pm

thefourthman wrote:just go to www.sintitulocomic.com (Eli Katz, if you are not reading this one, you need to check it out) but there is zuda.com as well. There is also the category by the favorites committee? so they should be of some assistance.
Seconded. Cameron Stewart's Sin Titulo rules. Also, Travis charest's webcomic was good but I don't know if he's still doing it.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Old Man wrote:Don Rosa filled that role for years. But I don't know that Rosa is still making new comics.
I know who Don Rosa is. He's like the Geoff Johns of Disney to me. Punchy should know exactly what I mean. :twisted:
[center]Image[/center]

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:34 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:I know who Don Rosa is. He's like the Geoff Johns of Disney to me. Punchy should know exactly what I mean. :twisted:

Depends on what you think of Johns. If you like Johns, I will agree.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Old Man wrote:Depends on what you think of Johns. If you like Johns, I will agree.
Johns likes old school superhero comics, but he thinks that the only way to modernize them is add extra gory bloodletting and rape. Don Rosa is a Carl Barks fanboy and while I really like his Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, I wish I hadn't read the Companion Book to it.

In the Klondike Chapter, Rosa alluded that Scrooge and Golide may have done a lot more than just dig gold since she stayed past the thirty days she was obligated to. I don't really appreciate the innuendo.
[center]Image[/center]

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:11 pm

Jess Nukem wrote:In the Klondike Chapter, Rosa alluded that Scrooge and Golide may have done a lot more than just dig gold since she stayed past the thirty days she was obligated to. I don't really appreciate the innuendo.

Jess Nukem
cheese

Postby Jess Nukem » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:21 pm

House of J wrote:Image
That's different. Donald is a big time pervo. He never wore pants ever, he was always ready to go.
[center]Image[/center]

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand