Advertisement

Review Group Week 202 - HELLBOY: THE BRIDE OF HELL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:Have I mentioned that I saw Neil Diamond live once?

You would have enjoyed that concert 1000 times more if you'd seen his first performance as part of "Neil & Jack" and every subsequent live show in order for the last 40 years. :roll:

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:08 pm

House of J wrote:Doesn't that go for, say Superman too though? Do you tell that to everyone who buys a random comic in the shop, and if so do you spit when you say it?

thefourthpunchy can't be wrong. If he says The Goon #33 fails for everyone who hasn't read every appearance of The Goon ever, surely he must be right.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:thefourthpunchy can't be wrong. If he says The Goon #33 fails for everyone who hasn't read every appearance of The Goon ever, surely he must be right.

Maybe thesixthman will be less of a disappointment. Let's call the experiment a failure, men, the meat-scaffold designated "thefourthman" is no longer viable. It's all hot dog slurry in the end.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Just got back into town today, gonna read and possibly review this tomorrow.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Punchy wrote:Do we review only the most recent edition of the comic, or the whole thing?

I'd suggest an arc like "Grand Theft Batmobile" which was strips #14-18 I believe.

Or just the whole thing. Would love to see reviews of NCD though, we love doing it and would appreciate some quotes to put up on the first press release we'll be sending out in the new year.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:24 pm

House of J wrote:Doesn't that go for, say Superman too though? Do you tell that to everyone who buys a random comic in the shop, and if so do you spit when you say it?

not to the extent of that book though. I would be curious to read a review of the issue written now and after he has read the entire series. I have a sneaking suspiscion it would be an entirely different book to him.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:25 pm

House of J wrote:You would have enjoyed that concert 1000 times more if you'd seen his first performance as part of "Neil & Jack" and every subsequent live show in order for the last 40 years. :roll:

probably.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:26 pm

also, here is a review that everyone in this thread should find interesting:
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/det ... de-of-hell

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 pm

thefourthman wrote:not to the extent of that book though. I would be curious to read a review of the issue written now and after he has read the entire series. I have a sneaking suspiscion it would be an entirely different book to him.

That might be the case, but it doesn't make your declaration that the book is a failure for new readers any less false. Maybe the book does work on additional levels that I'm not aware of as a new reader of the series, but on the base level of being an entertaining story for those unfamiliar to the world of The Goon it absolutely is a successful comic.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:09 pm

thefourthman wrote:also, here is a review that everyone in this thread should find interesting:
http://brokenfrontier.com/reviews/p/det ... de-of-hell

You'll review it there but not here, asshole?! :x :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Chris wrote:You'll review it there but not here, asshole?! :x :x

:lol:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:20 pm

I've never read a Hellboy comic, or seen the Hellboy movies. I have never had even the smallest bit of interest in the character. The concept just seemed lame to me, and I hate the way Hellboy looks. So I was feeling very "meh" about picking this up, but it was the first book of my stack I read this month because I wanted to review it for this group. I was... pleasantly surprised.

I see a lot of discussion here about whether the Dark Horse one shot books are good for new readers. For this one in particular, I'd have to say it is, because it allowed someone (me) who had no interest in Hellboy at all to read the story, enjoy it, and maybe feel a little bit more open-minded about reading some Hellboy in the future.

The story was decent. Nothing groundbreaking, of course, but it was interesting enough, with some predictable twists, and didn't require any kind of knowledge of the series to understand. Hellboy himself seemed sort of irrelevant to the story, in that any character could have taken his place, but for me that was a good thing. It allowed me to read a Hellboy story without feeling the normal doucechilliness that I get from the character. This will perhaps make me less adverse to reading a story with him in the future.

6 of 10

The art wasn't the greatest. It wasn't poorly done, but it wasn't beautiful. The style didn't bother me, and seemed a little too cartoonish for the story.

4 of 10

Overall: 5 of 10

A decent book, far surpassing my expectations.

Review Blud Blood next week. :)
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Jude Terror wrote:I've never read a Hellboy comic, or seen the Hellboy movies. I have never had even the smallest bit of interest in the character. The concept just seemed lame to me, and I hate the way Hellboy looks. So I was feeling very "meh" about picking this up, but it was the first book of my stack I read this month because I wanted to review it for this group. I was... pleasantly surprised.

I see a lot of discussion here about whether the Dark Horse one shot books are good for new readers. For this one in particular, I'd have to say it is, because it allowed someone (me) who had no interest in Hellboy at all to read the story, enjoy it, and maybe feel a little bit more open-minded about reading some Hellboy in the future.

The story was decent. Nothing groundbreaking, of course, but it was interesting enough, with some predictable twists, and didn't require any kind of knowledge of the series to understand. Hellboy himself seemed sort of irrelevant to the story, in that any character could have taken his place, but for me that was a good thing. It allowed me to read a Hellboy story without feeling the normal doucechilliness that I get from the character. This will perhaps make me less adverse to reading a story with him in the future.

6 of 10

The art wasn't the greatest. It wasn't poorly done, but it wasn't beautiful. The style didn't bother me, and seemed a little too cartoonish for the story.

4 of 10

Overall: 5 of 10

A decent book, far surpassing my expectations.

Review Blud Blood next week. :)

would love to jude but...when was the last time we got a strip? :lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

Has anyone ever heard of Juan Jose RYP?

I'm asking for the online comics review thing, I'm torn between Battle Bitches or Lesbination.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:29 pm

House of J wrote:Has anyone ever heard of Juan Jose RYP?

I'm asking for the online comics review thing, I'm torn between Battle Bitches or Lesbination.

Yeah, he's Warren Ellis' favorite Avatar collaborator..

He did Black Summer, No Hero, and Wolfskin with him.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand