Advertisement

Review Group Week 205 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #617

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 235 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:57 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #617
Since Spider-Man went thrice monthly I pretty much stopped reading, aside from one or two issues we have reviewed here. I was a little lost with some of the characters, like Michelle his roommate, Nora the reporter girl, and the Asian villain who was selling the new Rhino's services... but this was really good and those would be my only quibbles with this issue. I loved the opening monologue and the back and forth between Nora and Peter. I also found what Kelly is doing with Rhino pretty cool, except for the guy that wants to be the new Rhino, c'mon really? Who the hell dreams of being a b list villain, aim high yo. Despite a few characters I didn't know this was a very well written comic, you really do root for Rhino and sympathize with Peter about him wanting one in the win column. I have a bad feeling that Rhino will unfortunately lose all he has and go back to being a bad guy but I would like to see him stay as he is here for a while. This was also one of the best drawn comics I have reviewed here in a while, I have no recollection on seeing Max Fiumara's work anywhere but wow.

STORY - 9

ART - 10

OVERALL - 9

But he did write those well. Well enough for you to know who they were. The chick with new rhino is a variable thus far... she is not super revealed as of yet, but I am not convinced she is not working with Kraven.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:But he did write those well. Well enough for you to know who they were. The chick with new rhino is a variable thus far... she is not super revealed as of yet, but I am not convinced she is not working with Kraven.

My complaints (which is probably too strong of a word) with not knowing the characters were minor and he did do a good job with Nora, she was really fun to read but who is Michelle and why is Peter living with her?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:05 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:My complaints (which is probably too strong of a word) with not knowing the characters were minor and he did do a good job with Nora, she was really fun to read but who is Michelle and why is Peter living with her?

this is gonna sound all soap opera-y (cause it is)
She is the sister of his former roommate who has been hosipitalized because of the whole menace(?) thing... anyhow Pete went with the FF to some alternate plane and were gone for like 72 hours their time and several months our time... during that time Jonah became Mayor of New York, Jonah's Dad and May hooked up and eventually got married, and oh yeah, Michelle moved into the apartment.

She was this close to selling Peter's shit when he returned. He came in took a shower and walking naked or half naked through the house ran into michelle who attacked him as a result, then she found out who he was, wanted to kick him out, but eventually realized she digs him (ben showed up and started a relationship with her) and now she thinks Peter is schizo and is all fatal attraction on him.

and yeah I get it is minor, but you said

Despite a few characters I didn't know this was a very well written comic

That's not a fault of Kelly's, even in your review, you make plain that you know what her role is... that means he did his job. Furthermore, you were curious about her which is the beauty of a well done done-in-one that is part of a larger story, you want to know more. Before the internet, the only way to scratch that itch was to get the back issues. :D This means, that hopefully you would dig it and continue buying it.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:30 pm

thefourthman wrote:That's not a fault of Kelly's, even in your review, you make plain that you know what her role is... that means he did his job. Furthermore, you were curious about her which is the beauty of a well done done-in-one that is part of a larger story, you want to know more. Before the internet, the only way to scratch that itch was to get the back issues. :D This means, that hopefully you would dig it and continue buying it.

Hmm... I agree, that is what I was trying to say... I guess I should have worded it better.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:38 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:Hmm... I agree, that is what I was trying to say... I guess I should have worded it better.

I demand you change your score to ten! :lol:

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:54 pm

i don't give 10's ever.

/punchy'd

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:01 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:i don't give 10's ever.

/punchy'd

Amlah can you confirm this?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Lee you fail. Pete's ex roommate Vin went state and is currently serving time for being a part of the spider tracer killings. :wink:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:35 pm

This was one of the better Spider-Man issues of the past year. I don't really think enough was done to make me care about the original Rhino, though.

Despite Pete's little speech, I was just very "meh" about him finally 'getting a win'

The art was nothing special. The only times I really liked it were when the new Rhino was on the page. I don't like how the guy draws human characters.

7/10

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Joe Kelly does it again! Klly is easily one of my favorite writers in the industry and here he showed why that is. He gives us strong character moments, an understanding of all the characters involved and a strong pacing to all of his work.

The art was really great here as well from the fight scenes to the small character moments. Ever since Fraction used the classic version of the rhino in his punisher war journal, I've really started to enjoy the character and here was absolutely no different.

I will be really curious to see where things go from here with the new rhino trying to be a "hero" and Peter officially working full time at front line. Not to mention the fact that carly reminds me of a friend of mine which is never a bad thing.

grade: 9

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Chris wrote:The art was nothing special.

QFFT.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:12 pm

doombug wrote:Lee you fail. Pete's ex roommate Vin went state and is currently serving time for being a part of the spider tracer killings. :wink:

yeah, but he didn't ask that... I had a feeling he couldn't still be all laid out, but couldn't remember.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:07 am

Where the hell is HoJ with next week's pick? Has he even been around? Was he around last week?

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Where the hell is HoJ with next week's pick? Has he even been around? Was he around last week?

I was wondering the same thing. I've got to send my list in to the Grand Pooba of my comic shop soon.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:15 pm

starlord wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I've got to send my list in to the Grand Pooba of my comic shop soon.

If he doesn't show I say we just go with Joe The Barbarian.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand