Advertisement

Review Group Week 205 - AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #617

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:25 pm

I emailed him to see what is up, I assume Amlah will take action tomorrow if we have not heard anything.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:59 pm

starlord wrote:I was wondering the same thing. I've got to send my list in to the Grand Pooba of my comic shop soon.

I usually send the list Tuesday night, so you have plenty of time.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 am

thefourthman wrote:I emailed him to see what is up, I assume Amlah will take action tomorrow if we have not heard anything.

I'll post a poll for the pick in an hour or two assuming he doesn't show between now and then.

HoJ's (or Gail Simone's Magic Vagina if you're nasty) profile says he hasn't been online in 9 days. :cry:

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:26 am

Amazing Spider-Man #617

While I like the character in a team context, I have never been a fan of the Spider-Man comic. I have never cared about the Rhino in any way, shape, or form. He's always seemed like a pretty generic villain for Spidey to beat on, and has lacked anything approaching depth.

Despite my biases coming into this issue, I really enjoyed it. The backup, in particular, does an excellent job of fleshing out the Rhino, and actually made me give a damn about the character. While I am not totally sold on the characterization of Spider-Man (I'm sick of depicting a veteran superhero as nothing more than a "lovable loser"), I am glad to see that he got more than a few victories in this issue, in terms of his job, his love life, and the fact that he might actually have a chance to help a former villain turn around. I am positive, however, that all of these are going to end badly. Peter Parker cannot be with anyone besides Mary Jane for long, a steady job would give too much stability to the character (at least as far as Marvel management is concerned), and it looks like the writers are setting Rhino up for a huge fall in a future issue. Since solicitations indicate the two Rhinos will go head to head down the road, I'm predicting a dead wife and a fall from grace from the original recipe Rhino. Still, taken alone, I really enjoyed the issue.

I really liked Max Fiumara's art. It is a little more stylized, but I liked the look of the characters, particularly Spider-Man and the newly designed Rhino. Fabio D'Auria also deserves praise for his color palette choices; Spidey looks fantastic here. Javier Pulido's work on the backup is quite different, but he does a great job portraying the emotions of the "skinned" Rhino and the supporting characters. Again, Matt Hollingsworth's colors are a good fit to the old school art style.

Overall, a great single issue in the midst of a broader story arc. I do not know that I want to see how this story will resolve (I am convinced it will end badly), but I liked the setup.

Story: 9
Art: 8.5
Overall: 8.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:58 am

that was the single most dutch review I have ever read.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post

Postby MrBlack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:03 pm

thefourthman wrote:that was the single most dutch review I have ever read.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:46 pm

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:50 pm

I'll read and review by the end of the day
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

13 reviews out of 29 members. Not a very good percentage. And it's a book that everybody should be able to read.

But that's okay, because the fewer reviews there are, the bigger influence my grade has on the average.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Amazing Spider-Man #617

While I managed to keep up with Amazing for a pretty good stretch after One More Day, I eventually lost interest and haven't picked up an issue since #600. I kind of wish that I had stuck with it now because this was really exceptional. I can't remember whether or not I've ever even read an issue of Spider-Man with Rhino in it before. I've seen him in various cartoons of course, but before this issue I just saw him as a random old-school Spider-Man villain which makes what Joe Kelly did here all the more umm... amazing. By the end of this comic, I had totally bought in to caring about this character to the point that the Spider-Man portions of the book seemed totally inconsequential. As a done in one Rhino story, this couldn't have gotten any better.

I really dig Max Fiumara's art and I thought his portion of this book looked gorgeous but for me his style didn't fit the type of art that I enjoy seeing in Spider-Man comics. Javier Pulido on the other hand was exactly the type of art that I love in my Spider-Man comics. I drooled over every page. More Javier Pulido, please.

Story: 9.5
Art: 9
Overall: 9.25

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:20 pm

amlah6 wrote:Amazing Spider-Man #617

While I managed to keep up with Amazing for a pretty good stretch after One More Day, I eventually lost interest and haven't picked up an issue since #600. I kind of wish that I had stuck with it now because this was really exceptional. I can't remember whether or not I've ever even read an issue of Spider-Man with Rhino in it before. I've seen him in various cartoons of course, but before this issue I just saw him as a random old-school Spider-Man villain which makes what Joe Kelly did here all the more umm... amazing. By the end of this comic, I had totally bought in to caring about this character to the point that the Spider-Man portions of the book seemed totally inconsequential. As a done in one Rhino story, this couldn't have gotten any better.

I really dig Max Fiumara's art and I thought his portion of this book looked gorgeous but for me his style didn't fit the type of art that I enjoy seeing in Spider-Man comics. Javier Pulido on the other hand was exactly the type of art that I love in my Spider-Man comics. I drooled over every page. More Javier Pulido, please.

Story: 9.5
Art: 9
Overall: 9.25

What's really odd is that the arc Pulido did had this Sean Phillips/TLE feel to it and it looked out of place.

I think the coloring in that part of the book was more exceptional than his art. It was one of those times that you really notice the coloring. And like someone else said, it made it feel like it was a reprint not new material, which was cool and worked very well for the story.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:What's really odd is that the arc Pulido did had this Sean Phillips/TLE feel to it and it looked out of place.

I think the coloring in that part of the book was more exceptional than his art. It was one of those times that you really notice the coloring. And like someone else said, it made it feel like it was a reprint not new material, which was cool and worked very well for the story.

The only other book I've read with his art was the Cap 65th Anniversary book where he was using this same style which I think is the bees knees even if it is maybe a bit of a watered down Marcos Martin.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Javier Pulido is awesome, and I didn't really see Phillips in the Sandman arc.

Postby ****** » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Punchy wrote:Javier Pulido is awesome, and I didn't really see Phillips in the Sandman arc.

4thy's been saying lots of confounding things about various artists over the last couple of months. I'm chalking it up to a side effect of all the Pervitin use.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:54 pm

amlah6 wrote:4thy's been saying lots of confounding things about various artists over the last couple of months. I'm chalking it up to a side effect of all the Pervitin use.

actually, I went and looked back at them, Punchy is right... it was Azceta in the arc before (the Electro arc) that I thought was very philiips esque and out of place. It does look like Martin, this stuff, does. Although the night scenes do have a grittier look then the day scenes.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand