Advertisement

Review Group Week 206 - JOE THE BARBARIAN #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Punchy wrote:I didn't notice, and it was clear what was meant, I don't think it matters.

I love that you think the fact that the companies disrespect you enough to over charge you and for basic things like typos not to be taken care of are inconsequential. It is unprofessional. Its one of the things that regulates the entire medium to being less than worthy for other folks.

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:22 pm

GHERU wrote:unless some one has a better idea (and I'll be the judge of that), next weeks book is Robocop Vol 2 #1

How about Atom and Hawkman #46 by Johns and Sook? It's a one shot that ties into Blackest Night.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:22 pm

thefourthman wrote:I love that you think the fact that the companies disrespect you enough to over charge you and for basic things like typos not to be taken care of are inconsequential. It is unprofessional. Its one of the things that regulates the entire medium to being less than worthy for other folks.

Typos aren't exclusive to comics. They happen just as often in magazines, newspapers and prose books.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:I love that you think the fact that the companies disrespect you enough to over charge you and for basic things like typos not to be taken care of are inconsequential. It is unprofessional. Its one of the things that regulates the entire medium to being less than worthy for other folks.

But we were undercharged for this issue!

Stop looking for excuses to complain and unclench.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Joe the Barbarian

I really wanted to like this going into it. Instead, I can only say it was just alright. I understand Morrison was trying to set the mood or atmosphere here in the first ish, but C'MON MAN, this issue went ever so slowly. Also, like Joe, I am a diabetic and I also trip balls so that my bobblehead black suit spidey talks to me (Re: Not at all :wink: ) That being said, I am still fully on board with this mini, because I think it has the potential to be really good

One of the main reasons I feel that way is Sean Murphy's art. I'd recommend re-readings of this just to look at all the detail he puts into it and excellent use of shadows. This is some of the best art I've seen in a comic in a while now.

The typos don't bother me. Hell, it happens. There's probably typos in this review. I'll throw in a extra point for it only being a buck

Story 6
Art 10
Overall 8

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:17 pm

Joe the barbarian #1

Odd name for this book. Especially when the book mostly takes place in the real as Grant paints the story of a young diabetic boy named Joe. I like Joe in the issue, he seems to be about 15 and be a tiny bit troubled, mostly due to idiotic bullies.

I think that was a highlight for me of the read so far and definitely something I could easily see eye to eye with on joe's part. He seems to have a strained relationship with his mother and doesn't handle his diabetes as strongly as he should.

The bully dialogue is on point and definitely hits too close for comfort for me as a reader. I hope something happens where Joe is able to put them in their place. He also seems to be a very talented artist and have the cute little girl next door interested in him. It's sort of like the never ending story meets a bit of all the other 80's coming of age flicks.

The twist towards the end I am not sure what to make of it but I certainly had fun playing where's waldo with all the characters.

Sean Murphy's artwork is just beautiful here and definitely the highlight of the issue. It feels real and slightly cartoony at the same time which I really admire. Grant really does work with the best artists.

Verdict: this was a fun read and I enjoyed the mystery mapping itself out. Looks to be another I kill giants and that's never a bad thing.

Story: 9
art: 10

Over all: 9.5

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:56 pm

amlah6 wrote:Typos aren't exclusive to comics. They happen just as often in magazines, newspapers and prose books.

I know but there are less words to check and the editors usually have a smaller work load, so it should be a much easier task. Especially given the number of people involved in the process.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:58 pm

Punchy wrote:But we were undercharged for this issue!

Stop looking for excuses to complain and unclench.

whatever, I actually think you will be quite pleased with my review overall. rough is done, just have to clean it up.

Postby ****** » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:I know but there are less words to check and the editors usually have a smaller work load, so it should be a much easier task. Especially given the number of people involved in the process.

You want people to do their jobs? What the fuck do you think this is, Canada? :?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 pm

amlah6 wrote:You want people to do their jobs? What the fuck do you think this is, Canada? :?

it'd be nice, it wouldn't lead to me being lectured at by customers for an hour how the insurance industry is the pinnacle of capitalism and there is no reason to overhaul the industry.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Joe The Barbarian #1
Grant Morrison is lucky that Sean Murphy is buying into whatever story Grant is telling because with all the detail and beautiful work he put into this you can tell he believes in this comic. That being said he must know what lies beyond this issue because you don't really learn a damn thing in this introductory issue. I will not say it was poorly written because hell, I swear I turned 3 or 4 pages and there was nothing written at all. These is it real or is it in his head fantasy stories are not my thing (I did not care for 'I Kill Giants' either) so I need more of a hook than that to get me to want to keep reading and I did not find it here. I will say the art is top notch but it is rare for me to buy a comic just for the art, this may be the greatest next big creator owned series but the first issue was barely worth what I paid for it.

STORY - 5

ART - 10

OVERALL - 6.5

Postby ****** » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:08 pm

thefourthman wrote:it'd be nice, it wouldn't lead to me being lectured at by customers for an hour how the insurance industry is the pinnacle of capitalism and there is no reason to overhaul the industry.

People. :smt011

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 pm

amlah6 wrote:People. :smt011

all because Obama was on the cover of his Spider-man trade. It was a nightmare.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:14 pm

I also marvel at the number of basic mistakes in what passes for a newspaper these days. It's easy for a letterer with the words appearing correct from association to make a mistake like that, but what are the editors really doing with their time, playing on the internets?

In other news, was there any reaction to Steve Wacker's and Tom Brevoort's promotions last week?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:all because Obama was on the cover of his Spider-man trade. It was a nightmare.

Fuck them both. There, I said it.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand