Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:I flipped through it and it looked like crap!

/johnlewishawk'd

Sienkiewicz is a genius. If his name were more easily spelled or pronounced, I am convinced he would have more work.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

And that completes the review of ten different comics with issue number 208. It was a fun romp in the past. That it didn't cover more comics than it did and that it didn't cover more years than it did was because of the limited back stock at my LCS, which does have over 100 long boxes of stock. It was also a good thing that they didn't have more of the issues, as writing these reviews took a lot of time, especially for someone who doesn't type properly.

I found that the older comics took much longer to read, and that they engaged my mind more fully. Writing about the older books was easier because of that, and more difficult because there was so much more to write about. It was a challenge to decide what to omit from the reviews of those older stories.

In some of the older comics, there were bolded words in many word balloons. I tried to recreate that any time I quoted from the comics.

I hope you enjoyed this nostalgic trip through my favorite pastime...reading comic books!
Last edited by Old Man on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:Sienkiewicz is a genius. If his name were more easily spelled or pronounced, I am convinced he would have more work.

Actually never been a big fan, but his style has become more palatable to me since his early New Mutants stuff.

Also, in true spirit of The Hawk I did not actually flip through The Question either.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Actually never been a big fan, but his style has become more palatable to me since his early New Mutants stuff.

Also, in true spirit of The Hawk I did not actually flip through The Question either.

:lol:

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Old Man wrote:208 reviews.

208 weekly reviews of comics over the last 4 years. Quite an accomplishment. The Review Group members all review the same book each week, a book selected by one of the members. Then they argue and discuss the work in question, all the while having a lot of fun. I haven't been a member of the group for very long, yet I have been made to feel as if I was a member from the beginning.

For this special week of the Review Group, the participants could review any book they chose, even older books. I had the idea to review every book I purchased that week, the first Wednesday in February. I soon realized that I would be spending the entire rest of that week shackled to my computer, reading comic books and writing about them. Too much of anything can get old very fast. I gave up on that idea, but soon, another idea arose.

The new idea was to get several comics representing my own collection and write about them. That would be relatively easy to do, as I would be re-reading them. Which ones to choose? I could pick one from each company in my collection; one from each decade; one from each genre; the possibilities were endless.

There was a minor problem with the idea in that half of my collection is stored in the boxes that Diamond uses to ship the comics to the local comics shop (LCS). Why? Because they are free. Storage boxes are expensive, more so if you get the short boxes. Being in these smaller Diamond boxes limits organizational capabilities. It would take me half a week to find books that represented what I wanted to do. Again, too time consuming.

Finally, another idea formed itself. The wonderfulness of this final idea, at least from a work viewpoint, was that it simplified my life. All it depended on was the cooperation of my LCS. I was pretty sure they would help me with this, so this last week, I hatched the plan to them, and got the okay. I got the comics I needed, and will now have a week to get the reviews ready.

What was the final idea? It all keyed on the number 208. I got every back issue comic from my LCS that was issue number 208. This could have backfired in that it could have been upwards of 30 different comics, but it turned out to be a nice, even ten comics, all from DC and Marvel. There were at least another 15 long comic runs that didn't have an issue 208 in the back issue bins. Some of those, such as the older DC titles, are just not found that often. Many others had issues in the 208 range, but not 208. I even checked the Archie titles for a 208 and found two or three that were close. In this day and age of constant cancellations and reboots, many comics never get to 208 issues.

So, ten comic books to be reviewed, all issue number 208. I'm going to review them chronologically, starting with issue number 208.

I'm about ready to break things off with 4thy, will you be my new bromance?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm

:cry:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:25 pm

Wolverine Weapon X #10
Written by Jason Aaron
Art by C.P. Smith

Holy crap what a great looking book. The name C.P. Smith rings a bell but I can’t put my finger on it and I am too lazy to look it up right now, someone tell me.

Anyhow, like all the books that really stand out to me artistically; Williams’ Detective, Keith’s Maxx, or a Hickman illustrated comic; there is a design element here that is just, wow! Then there is the sexiness of the ladies. Smith uses simple line work to create femme fetales and hotties in abundance and good ol Aaron gives the guy a story chock full of babes to show the fanboys.

The textures in the coloring are outstanding. This guy plays with light as much as he does color and fine line work and the outcome is remarkable.

It’s not all perfection though. I understand the deal with Storm, but it still looks weird. Jubilee and Jessica’s Baby also look like nightmare children of some horror movie. And given her normal appearance, it is funny that Emma would turn out to be the least attractive cast member here.

The writing is a bit of heaven. Wolverine is falling in love. However, he has known the loss it causes and is hesitant. He goes to the strong women in his life for advice. It is a bit of brilliant characterization and the way to do a Valentine’s comic.

Good stuff.

Story 8
Art 9
Overall 8.5

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm

amlah6 wrote:I'm about ready to break things off with 4thy, will you be my new bromance?

Sorry, but my bromance has been taken. ;-)
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Man, I wish DC could have put out one decent non-Vertigo book this week. Jeez. I feel really bad for their loyal readers.

Maybe the Batman stuff was ok, I'm too Batmanned out to look.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 144 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm going to attempt to get close to Lee's reviewing insanity by the end of the weekend,

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm

Jubilee showed up? What she do?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:02 pm

thefourthman wrote:Wolverine Weapon X #10
Written by Jason Aaron
Art by C.P. Smith

Holy crap what a great looking book. The name C.P. Smith rings a bell but I can’t put my finger on it and I am too lazy to look it up right now, someone tell me.

The only things I've read were The Programme and a few of those gawdawful Unlimited books a few years ago.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:04 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:The only things I've read were The Programme and a few of those gawdawful Unlimited books a few years ago.

Programme that was where I knew him from. that was a decent enough looking book. This toned down the insanity of the panels there and I think he has a better handle on his dark shading.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight #32
Written by Brad Meltzer
Art by Georges Jeanty

The last time I reviewed Buffy, I’ll be honest, I had no clue what the hell was going on. Having watched a couple of seasons now, I stand by some of my criticism. Even in the show, she gets winded when she fights. And it is impenetrable for new readers, even here I was lost about some of what was going on, but Meltzer did a fine job of dragging me along and better yet making me want to slog through it.

Part of the reason is the voicing. Buffy sounded like Buffy. As did Willow, Giles and Xander, they felt familiar and right.

This was a geeky issue, through some twist of fate (explained later on) Buffy has new super powers and Xander and Buffy are testing them out. There is the whole faster than a speeding bullet, catching trains, etc. Lots of comic jokes throughout the issue. Hell, there is even a reference to the movie version of Wanted. It's fun, even if about half of the story presented was lost on me.

I didn’t understand what the deal was with the three baddies. Partly because I think the panel with Buffy smirking at them doesn’t pull off what it was supposed to. But Jeanty is a great artist; I would give Rooster’s left nut for more American Way. The designs work, there are times when the four characters I know look like their television counterparts and that helps with the familiarity issues I have had before.

Maybe one day I will catch up. Unfortunately, nothing has made me scratch the itch. It is fun to watch when I am not otherwise distracted.

Story 7
Art 8
Overall 7.5

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Jubilee wrote:Jubilee showed up? What she do?

Kerny wrote:
Wolverine Weapon X 10

The gist: much like Kyle Rayner or Matt Murdock, whoever fucks Wolverine, dies.

It's a pretty fun story with a slight hint of things to come. Logan has fun interactions with a lot of familiar faces: Storm, Jubilee, Luke Cage and Jessica, and there's probably another one I missed. And through it all he realizes, yep I've got a girlfriend now. I like Melita, she hasn't done or said anything that has pissed me off yet, and her encounter with Emma Frost was funny, and so Emma.

Also, the issue doesn't really cover all the ladies on the cover like I thought it would. Basically, it talks about Mariko. It always comes back to her it seems.

Now, I like Smith's art generally, but I'm not sure I would have went with him to draw a issue about the ladies in Logan's life. He does the action scenes quite well, but some of the women's faces are funny, and his depiction of Jubilee is downright hilarious. (Yes Twig, Jubilee!)

:x

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand