Thursday, April 19, 2018 • Evening Edition • "All nerds welcome. Bring your own toilet paper."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Demando pri ordo: Estas hieroglyphs permesis, kaj se jes kiom da vortoj ili kalkulas kiel?

P.S. Saluton, pugo ĉapeloj.

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Thank you, I did start the trend of the trains running on time and that's all I can take credit for. I also would like to say good on you for keeping things going when Sire thought he could.

Thanks. 8)

As soon as we can find someone who can match my obsessive compulsive behavior though I'm outta here. :wink:

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:59 pm

jesus christ! lee will be on the top of the list by the end of this. :lol:

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:14 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Demando pri ordo: Estas hieroglyphs permesis, kaj se jes kiom da vortoj ili kalkulas kiel?

P.S. Saluton, pugo ĉapeloj.

Se vi poto fari hieroglyph revuo tio estas preter simpla pellet revuo, gxi will estas permesita.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Kion pri bildoj de mia koko private mesaĝoj? Kiom da vortoj far tiuj kalkulo por?

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:33 pm

Siege #2
Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Olivier Coipel

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate Dark Reign and the last 12-18 months of Bendis written Avengers books?

Yeah, I guess I have.

I bought this anyway in spite of hating the first issue. The last page with Cap just kind of left me cringing at what Bendis might do with him. Mostly though, I think Bendis handled it okay in this as long as I don't let myself try to reconcile anything going on in the Marvel Universe with Brubaker's Cap-verse. I'm sure if you make some giant continuity timeline map they reconcile, but fuck it. Bru's Cap is the only Cap that matters and the rest is just for funsies.

Ramble much? Yes, yes I do.

Other than the big Cap makes a speech scene, I'm not really sure what I think about the rest of the book. I really like the character on the receiving end of the big character death, but it's comics so he'll be back so whatever. As a catalyst for making Sentry into a character to be feared though, I think after years of floundering Bendis finally seems to have done something with the character that wasn't in the infinite loop of repeating Sentry stories. Holy shit. That. Was. Awesome. I soooooo want to see Thor utterly destroy Bob now and I guess that means I'm in for reading the next two issues.

Coipel draws the shit out of the big splash pages in this. The book looks great, but I gotta say there were a few instances in the storytelling where I wasn't exactly sure what happened. Whether that was intentional to convey the chaos of war or just a convenient side effect of a couple of misteps on Coipel's part I have no idea. Either way, it's hard to go wrong when there's a giant splash page of blood in the climax of the book.

Story: 8.5
Art: 8
Overall: 8.25

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:20 pm

Ultimate Comics X #1
by Jeph Loeb and Art Adams

It's kind of funny how much shit Jeph Loeb gets within this community. If you asked people here what creator they hated more and made them pick between Loeb and Liefeld a fair chunk of them would probably need some time to think about it.

This makes me like Jeph Loeb.

A lot.

Nevermind the fact that his work with Tim Sale is some of the best comic booking of the last 20 years, in general I find that his super-hero work is just plain old fashioned fun. Isn't that kind of the point to all these floppy pamphlets we've grown up reading? Now I'm not saying Loeb comics are always good, I'm just saying they're not worthy of the vitrol that gets thrown his way... except for Ultimatum. That was one giant turd of a book. (Except for the Blob eating people, of course.)

Coming straight out of Ultimatum we have Ultimate Comics X. I read a decent chunk of Ultimate X-Men and I have to say as far as books that need a total relaunch go, it was a pretty good candidate. Some of the biggest names in the industry (Millar, Bendis, Kirkman, BKV) worked on that book and none of them were able to do much beyond making it readable.

As far as wiping the slate clean and starting over with UCX, this seems to do that. No Cyclops or Jean or Beast or Colossus or Ice-Man or any of those characters you probably like and want to read about. Kitty Pryde is here though, so I'm good. Maybe somewhere down the line those done to death X-Men characters can come back in Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men Forever or something.

So we've got Kitty Pryde, right? Why? Well, someone had to tell yet another one of Wolverine's kids who their daddy was. It's kind of a played out story and UCX definitely needs a little Ultimate Hulk to spice it up. This was just your standard introduction issue to a character you don't really care about yet. Maybe a Wolverine fan would get all excited about a younger version of the character, but it didn't do anything for me.

Art Adams is a freaking legend. I hope he gets to draw some cool stuff in this book eventually. A talking heads book like this issue isn't exactly making the most of his talents. Still, what's there looks great.

Story: 6
Art: 8
Overall: 7

Windom URL

Rain Partier

Postby Windom URL » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Mi havas LOLtron traduki por mi dum plezuro mi voĉe. Malkiel la Apple iPad, LOLtron povas multitask.

Ĉu senkulpigas mi kiu, por mia fluparoleco, estas magra, sed vi diris nur *LOLtron plezurojn vi, dum vi *multitask?

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Jude Terror wrote:So what are your thoughts on Liefeld?

I like that he seems to have a pretty good sense of humor about being the ICC's #1 source of evil in the world. He's created/co-created some characters that I like, even though I mostly only like those characters when he's not working on them. The comics he does himself are generally okay, but I don't often read them.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:32 pm

This sucks. I'm going to be offline friday-monday so I'll have to see what I can get done tomorrow and tuesday.

48THRiLLS

Review Grouper

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:57 pm

Siege #2 (of 4)
I really really liked the first issue of Siege but I absolutely loved issue 2.There are so many awesome moments in this book but they will all get over shadowed by the death of Ares and for good reason. Sometimes death in comics is used just to have someone die for shock value (ie: Wasp and Bill Foster) but I felt this helps move the story, you see just how crazy powerful The Sentry is and this is definitely a threat that all the Avengers will need to band together for... and it was a damn shocking visual. I don't want to turn this review into a recap of the book but moments like Bucky giving Steve the shield, Steve rallying the troops, Nic Fury telling Phobos nothing he hasn't seen that can scare him, and that last page with the reflection of Cap's shield on Normie's armor were all reasons why this maybe one of the best single issues I have read that came during a cross over (IMO!). I think Bendis nailed the voices of all the character (his Thor was fine, I have seen a lot of complaining about his Thor dialogue and I feel that it is just Bendis hate, it is all bad renaissance play speak no matter who writes it, hell he had 4 lines in the whole issue!) From when I left my shop to my bike ride home I was pretty excited to read this and I was not disappointed, in fact I am now even more anxious for issue 3 to come out. On the art side of things, I thought this was also an upgrade form the first issue. The first thing that really stood out to me was how Coipel drew Phobos, here he actually looked like a 10 year old especially after he is put in his place by Fury. The Sentry comes off looking god-like yet creepy as hell, the coloring of the yellow glow around him was perfectly done and I cannot not mention Ares being torn in half... it jumps off the page and weather you saw it coming or not it was definitely a great OH SHIT! moment.
STORY - 9.5
ART - 9
OVERALL - 9.2333333333

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Siege 2 (spoiler-ific)

Holy fuck! about sums it up. Bendis, to my delight, really isn't letting up on the pace. There's plenty to like here. Cap rallying the troops, the interaction between Phobos and Nick Fury, Thor making quick of Daken, and to that nicely done last page.

Of course what everyone wants to talk about is that OMG SENTRY TOTALLY RIPPED ARES IN HALF. Ares rocks, but I have no problem with this whatsoever. He's been making deals with Fury, and this was foreshadowed pretty easily in issue 1. I sorta like the Sentry. This is certainly a way to make me like him even better. The next What If? should be What If The Sentry Rips everyone in The Marvel Universe In Half? Id read it.

Coipel does another kick-ass job. Ares entrails are cool to look at (wut) and he captures the widespread reaction shots well. It's slightly confusing storytelling with the Maria Hill/Moonstone/ Thor stuff.

Also, Thor needs to cut that m'lady shit out.

Story 9
Art 9

Shaping up to be my favorite of the recent marvel events easily

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Wolverine Weapon X 10

The gist: much like Kyle Rayner or Matt Murdock, whoever fucks Wolverine, dies.

It's a pretty fun story with a slight hint of things to come. Logan has fun interactions with a lot of familiar faces: Storm, Jubilee, Luke Cage and Jessica, and there's probably another one I missed. And through it all he realizes, yep I've got a girlfriend now. I like Melita, she hasn't done or said anything that has pissed me off yet, and her encounter with Emma Frost was funny, and so Emma.

Also, the issue doesn't really cover all the ladies on the cover like I thought it would. Basically, it talks about Mariko. It always comes back to her it seems.

Now, I like Smith's art generally, but I'm not sure I would have went with him to draw a issue about the ladies in Logan's life. He does the action scenes quite well, but some of the women's faces are funny, and his depiction of Jubilee is downright hilarious. (Yes Twig, Jubilee!)

Story 8
Art 6.5

Overall 7.25

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Sweet Tooth 6

I always have a hard time reviewing this book, because even though its one of my favorites, it's just hard to talk about in detail for me for whatever reason

Gus meets some other animal hybrids like himself, only one of them being intelligent. Jeppard gets some character analysis, and shows why he did what he did last ish. It's pretty touching, and Lemire's art was pretty cool how he transitioned from the present to a flashback in two panels.

Story 8
Art 8

Overall 8

Kerny

Review Grouper

Postby Kerny » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:32 pm

And with that, I am out of ammo this week. :x

leave a comment with facebook