Advertisement

Review Group Week 208 - 4th ANNIVERSARY FREE4ALL

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:30 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:That was actually Becky Cloonan's quote anyway, they switch back and forth. Brian's quotes "..the thought of revisiting it worried me. What if we blew it? What if whatever magic...has disappeared? Could we fake it? Would we want to? Would a bunch of mediocre new Demos tarnish the original?" sum up a panoply of concerns, clearly.

Someday you'll figure something out! :roll:

got nothing to do with figuring stuff out. I just don't worry about where something is going any more until I get there. It's why I was able to enjoy Countdown when I read it. The only times I worry about stuff is when it doesn't make sense to me, like when Iron Man and Siege seem to be telling the same store, but can't possibly.

It makes things more fun if you try to take the journey that the creator wanted you to go.

I blame it on Toni Morrison, personally.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:38 pm

thefourthman wrote:got nothing to do with figuring stuff out. I just don't worry about where something is going any more until I get there. It's why I was able to enjoy Countdown when I read it. The only times I worry about stuff is when it doesn't make sense to me, like when Iron Man and Siege seem to be telling the same store, but can't possibly.

It makes things more fun if you try to take the journey that the creator wanted you to go.

I blame it on Toni Morrison, personally.

Hunh. I only blame her for shitty poetry, myself.

Anyway, it's not "trying to figure stuff out" in advance, it's recognizing narrative
patterns I've seen many times before. No matter what you might think, I still get to enjoy things. :roll:

Also, if a writer didn't want you to perceive foreshadowing, why would they write it??
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:Hunh. I only blame her for shitty poetry, myself.

Anyway, it's not "trying to figure stuff out" in advance, it's recognizing narrative
patterns I've seen many times before. No matter what you might think, I still get to enjoy things. :roll:

I know you do, but I think people worry about it all too much. Sometimes I do too. It was my only real problem with Joe The Barbarian, besides, you know, typos.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:I know you do, but I think people worry about it all too much. Sometimes I do too. It was my only real problem with Joe The Barbarian, besides, you know, typos.

The foreshadowing is there intentionally. If a writer doesn't want you to anticipate, they would leave out the elements that foreshadow what is to come. It's a part of the experience the author wants to relate too.

It's an element to storytelling that makes the reader feel they are in on the joke, or relate to the protagonist. The worry over what you know is coming for them.

The only problem with Demo was the "person-who-fulfills-their-own-prophecy" idea has been done to death. It was done well, and the art was fantastic. It got an 8 from me after all, so my disappointment was rather mild.

I think we are responsible for like half the reviews so far.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Rooster Illusion wrote:The foreshadowing is there intentionally. If a writer doesn't want you to anticipate, they would leave out the elements that foreshadow what is to come. It's a part of the experience the author wants to relate too.

It's an element to storytelling that makes the reader feel they are in on the joke, or relate to the protagonist. The worry over what you know is coming for them.

The only problem with Demo was the "person-who-fulfills-their-own-prophecy" idea has been done to death. It was done well, and the art was fantastic. It got an 8 from me after all, so my disappointment was rather mild.

:P
I'm not trying to defend Demo.

I get all of that. That's why I reread so much. :P I just don't necessarily feel a need to get there, I actually thought it was pretty telegraphed on the second reading and facepalmed myself.

personally, my fear is that I will start reading it for the twist and not the characterization, which is what the book is really about.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:02 am

thefourthman wrote::P
I'm not trying to defend Demo.

I get all of that. That's why I reread so much. :P I just don't necessarily feel a need to get there, I actually thought it was pretty telegraphed on the second reading and facepalmed myself.

personally, my fear is that I will start reading it for the twist and not the characterization, which is what the book is really about.

Yep, the twist isn't everything and not every book needs one. What I'm saying is I don't feel the need to get there either but a cliche story done well is still a cliche story, and that was the only thing about the new Demo I couldn't rave about.

And there was a twist anyway, I figured she'd fall like in most other similar such tales. So the fact is, I just didn't feel the story was quite as good as the older Demos. It was good, though. And I'm happy Vertigo is putting it out.

In terms of characterization, I hate to say it wasn't quite as genuine-feeling as earlier issues. Of course, the insomnia thing comes across as bogus to me from the start and that comes from unfortunate experience, I'm afraid. Probably reason #1 why I didn't connect with it as well.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:07 am

Rooster Illusion wrote:Yep, the twist isn't everything and not every book needs one. What I'm saying is I don't feel the need to get there either but a cliche story done well is still a cliche story, and that was the only thing about the new Demo I couldn't rave about.

And there was a twist anyway, I figured she'd fall like in most other similar such tales. So the fact is, I just didn't feel the story was quite as good as the older Demos. It was good, though. And I'm happy Vertigo is putting it out.

In terms of characterization, I hate to say it wasn't quite as genuine-feeling as earlier issues. Of course, the insomnia thing comes across as bogus to me from the start and that comes from unfortunate experience, I'm afraid. Probably reason #1 why I didn't connect with it as well.

THe insomnia thing never comes off right... was there insomnia in Punch Drunk Love? If so, then maybe there they got it right. No one ever gets the whole tunnel thing down, I guess it is hard to do.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:20 am

thefourthman wrote:THe insomnia thing never comes off right... was there insomnia in Punch Drunk Love? If so, then maybe there they got it right. No one ever gets the whole tunnel thing down, I guess it is hard to do.

I never saw it. 2002 was a bad year mostly for my insomnia coincidentally, so even if I had seen it I might not remember. But I didn't see it.

It was not long after that I autodidacticated myself about hypnosis, and in a bout of trial and error self-hypnotized myself to fall asleep during a 1940 L'il Abner movie that I picked up in the local Dollar Store. To this day I have never seen the movie beyond a certain point but the song from the beginning plays in my head a lot, which is a drawback I didn't foresee.

That movie probably saved my life, though. :lol:

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:22 am

seriously, when are you gonna bless us with your autobiography? I will buy a copy for sure.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 am

thefourthman wrote:seriously, when are you gonna bless us with your autobiography? I will buy a copy for sure.

:lol: All these..moments...will be lost...in time. Like tears...in..rain.

My favorite Blade Runner quote.

I noticed though even the L'il Abner song in my head and I am yawning like mad!

I did sorta wish I had picked a different movie instead of just what happened to be in the DVD player randomly but you don't mess with success.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post

Postby doombug » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:40 am

Here we go:

JSA Annual #2 by Keith Giffen, Matt Sturges and Tom Derenick

The story: A mysterious break out at a jail leads The Allstars to make a decision about on of their own and by the end of the issue, our team is down a member.

Keith and Matt work surprisingly well together here as both JSA teams get a lot of screentime. Power girl is havily our lead in this one and manages to put up a good fight against Magog in sections of the book.

Sadly I think this annual could have been much more effect with the use of just one of our teams. Having too many characters running around made things way too chaotic and there are moments of complete dickishness from a handful of the members on both sides. Even Alan at one point which came out of nowhere,

At the end of the day, this cut Magog out of the JSA which makes me happy. Sturges definitely has the superior book and it will be interesting to see some of the ideas paid off of down the line from the issue.

Score: 7

Dragavon
Podcaster

Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:41 am

Nova #34
Written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning
Art by Mahmud A. Asrar

This is part three of the Riddle of the Sphinx storyline. Fortunately D&A compress the back story into the first four pages so as not to confuse new readers.

The comic can get a little wordy, but the writers continue to do a good job with the cosmic side of Marvel. Although the main character Nova is only in about eight pages of the total story, the scenes with him show how much he has grown as a character and a fighter since he was first created. The majority of the story shows various fights between the ancillary characters. In fact, more emphasis is placed on Darkhawk and the story the writers are mapping out for him regarding the Fraternity of Raptors.

The art is by a fill-in artist who had previously done the Nova annual. His pencils are good but there seems to be a slight problem regarding the shapes of the faces. They are noticeably different from panel to panel. As this did not seem to be problem based on his previous work, it might be the inkers problem but it’s still affects the art.

Story 8
Art 6
Total Score 7

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:49 am

The Boys #39 - 'What I Know' - Ennis, McCrea and Robertson

Story - This issue does what the best Boys issues (and Ennis comics) do, which is a mixture of bizarre crudeness and humour, and honest human relationships. In this issue you've got Gay Aliens, massive dildos, and a truly mental scene with Mother's Milk. But it all comes together next to some honest and real scenes between Wee Hughie and Starlight. Their relationship is what grounds this series, which at times can be too farcical. I also really enjoyed the scene where Frenchie gives the Female his collection of 2000 AD to stop her being an assassin, It's both ridiculous and sweet, at least we know 2000 AD isn't a pawn of Vought-American! Speaking of VA, there are some interesting developments here too, as we see more of the mysterious nameless executive at his work. The Boys is a slow burn at times, but now that we've had origins for our heroes, and the events of the last few pages, where Butcher finds out a big secret, it looks like things are speeding up. This isn't the best issue of the series, but it's an important part of the ongoing chapter.

Art - The art is one of the reasons why #39 is not among the series' best, The Boys is never as good when co-creator Darick Robertson is away. John McCrea is good, and we know he works well with Ennis... but it's just not the same. Robertson is back with #40 thankfully.

Best Line - 'Nothin, absolutely nothin. That's what I fuckin' now'

7/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:55 am

Criminal: The Sinners #4 - 'Part Four' - Brubaker and Phillips

Story - What can I saw about Criminal that I haven't said before? Not much, it's pretty much comics perfection. I will say this, the endings to Criminal story arcs are always brutal, and this penultimate chapter of The Sinners is setting itself up to be the worst/best yet. Tracy Lawless just keeps getting in deeper and deeper shit, and it's almost painful to watch. He's got the Army, the Triad, Hyde's men and this weird gang of kids after him. I honestly can't see how he's going to get out of it. That gang of kids is a mystery, and one of the most interesting aspects of the story, Evan gets a glimmer of redemption here, but really, there's no redemption in Criminal.

Brubaker also begins to expand this world here, we see Gnarly again, in a great scene, and we see what Chinatown is like, and how it is run. The connectivity of these stories is one of my favourite aspects of this series, and even if Tracy Lawless doesn't survive, the world is getting more and more real, and that's wonderful to see.

This is another diamond-solid issue of Criminal, and has me salivating for Part 5, it's going to be brutal.

Art - Sean Phillips is amazing, not much else to say.

Best Line - 'More like wife-fucker...'

9/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am

Doom Patrol #7 - 'While You Were Out...' and 'The End Of The Road!' - Giffen, Clark, Richards and Livesay

Story - Giffen's Doom Patrol is an odd book, it seems to be reaching for a particular tone, that it never quite reaches, at times it's a lot of wacky fun, and at others it's too serious. It can't decide wheter it's old-school Silver-Age DP, or Grant Morrison DP. Might I suggest Giffen do something entirely new?

This issue brings back a couple of Morrison concepts, Crazy Jane and that painting that ate Paris. But it also brings back the Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, a gloriously goofy character from the original run. Where are you taking this Giffen? I don't even know! The Patrol themselves are only in the issue for one page, and the best character is actually a Challenger Of The Unknown.

Giffen also brings back Oberon from the JLI here, as the owner of a Superhero moving business... it's as odd as you'd expect.

The Metal Men back-up is of course comedy genius of the highest order, and I worry for this book's survival without it, it seems to me that most people are buying this mainly for Metal Men, and not Doom Patrol. I hope Giffen finds a tone and goal and reaches it, because Doom Patrol is still a work in progess after 7 issues.

Art - The art here is adequate, Matthew Clark only does a few pages, with Cliff Richards doing the rest, his art is fine, but there's nothing to set it apart from anything else ever, he's close enough to Clark so the tone is consistent. Maguire is awesome, facial expressions, Giganta boobs, I'll miss him.

Best Line - 'If I had a libido - it would be incredibly stimulated right now'

7/10 Bumped up a whole point because of MM.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand