Advertisement

Review Group Week 211 - X-MEN FOREVER #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

amlah6 wrote:Shut your whore mouth. The 90s X-Men cartoon was awesome. :evil:

I've got the whole series on my iPod. I'll hook you up with it if you raise your review two points.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:39 pm

How'd you get that on your i-pod. Sort me out!

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:39 pm

great payola hits the review group :roll: , who let Jude in anyhow? :lol:

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm

thefourthman wrote:what's sad is you knew what I was talking about, fatty. :lol:

How's that comb-over working out for you, baldy? :x

<object width="425px" height="360px"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=5126954,t=1,mt=video"><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=5126954,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object><br>

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Jude Terror wrote:I've got the whole series on my iPod. I'll hook you up with it if you raise your review two points.

I don't think 2 points is going to make a big difference when it's all said and done. :P

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

amlah6 wrote:I've checked BF a couple of times today to see if your review was live yet. I need to see this reasoning on how you could give the Helen Slater story an 8. :P

Me too!

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Me too!

I also liked the appearance of Ron Troupe.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:01 pm

thefourthman wrote:I also liked the appearance of Ron Troupe.

I don't know who that is.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Jude, did this issue give you a special warm feeling inside because it's yet another book about Claremont's obsession with Daddy issues given Amy's successful launch of your own boy-child?

thefourthman

Happy Pony Day!

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I don't know who that is.
The reporter. He got Clark's job when everyone thought he was dead.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 pm

thefourthman wrote:The reporter. He got Clark's job when everyone thought he was dead.

Yeah, that's a rare thrill no doubt.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:17 pm

X-Men Forever #18

Whatever you might think about this series, and I don't much, I'm sure there have been better issues of it than this. But I could be wrong.

This is Classic Claremont, all right:

Lots of wordy, overwrought dialogue. Check.
Generic bad guys, cliche kidnapping plot. Check.
Daddy issues. Lots of them. Check.
Truncated narration. Check.

All it was missing was a baseball game.

Other than that I thought Amlah6 already said it all. That was pretty much the review I was going to write, plus I was going to mention how awful his characterization of Cyclops is in light of how long it's taken to move the character past that in the 616 over the years to arrive at a more complex, nuanced Scott Summers in books like AXM, etc.

Last edited by Victorian Squid on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

X-Men Forever #18
I have never been into the X-books, I did read Astonishing during Whedon's run so I know a little about the franchise. I actually liked this, it was fun... it walked a really close line with being a little too cute sometimes but I thought it worked okay. I am vaguely familiar with current X continuity but I was a little lost here with Nathan being a kid and I was never familiar with the Star Jammers but it did not affect the story too much. If I had a complaint it would be that the writer seems to over explain some things that are happening with Lorna when she is going after the ship that kidnapped Nathan. The best thing about this book was the art, I have never seen Tom Grummett's work before but I was really impressed with this issue, reminded me a lot of Paul Pelletier. I will definitely keep an eye out if he gets work on another book, as much as I may have liked this it is not something I would continue reading only because I just don't care about the X-Men... but this was not a bad pick at all.

STORY - 7

ART - 9

OVERALL - 7.9

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:26 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:X-Men Forever #18
I have never been into the X-books, I did read Astonishing during Whedon's run so I know a little about the franchise. I actually liked this, it was fun... it walked a really close line with being a little too cute sometimes but I thought it worked okay. I am vaguely familiar with current X continuity but I was a little lost here with Nathan being a kid and I was never familiar with the Star Jammers but it did not affect the story too much. If I had a complaint it would be that the writer seems to over explain some things that are happening with Lorna when she is going after the ship that kidnapped Nathan. The best thing about this book was the art, I have never seen Tom Grummett's work before but I was really impressed with this issue, reminded me a lot of Paul Pelletier. I will definitely keep an eye out if he gets work on another book, as much as I may have liked this it is not something I would continue reading only because I just don't care about the X-Men... but this was not a bad pick at all.

STORY - 7

ART - 9

OVERALL - 7.9

That's it, tell Jude to get his head out from under your computer desk. :x

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:33 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:That's it, tell Jude to get his head out from under your computer desk. :x

:lol:
I didn't think it was bad. I really enjoyed the art, and that made it better for me... that or Jude said he would give my pick a good score if I pretended to like this.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand