Advertisement

Review Group Week 211 - X-MEN FOREVER #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Old Man
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:I also liked the appearance of Ron Troupe.

In Supergirl, for those that don't know.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Advertisement

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Wow, did I not care about this issue.

And to be honest, I didn't read it deeply. I didn't have to. I already knew what to expect from a Claremont X-Men story.

The art was acceptable. It was mostly open and airy, and looked like it was desperately trying to be Byrne-like.

The last time I regularly followed the X-Men line was when New Mutants was still young. Maybe the first 30 issues. The last time I regularly followed Uncanny X-Men was around issue 170 or 180. I think I dropped that book when Paul Michael Smith left the book.

But I didn't have any trouble following this story, because it is essentially the same characters as were used by Claremont in the early runs.

Ya know, if Joss Whedon had written this, I would probably give it an 8 or 9. The dialog would have been much better, and the scene with the rednecks in the diner might have worked. But he didn't, it wasn't, and it didn't again.

This reads to me like fanfic. And if you are going to have an issue focusing on dads, wouldn't it be better to schedule it in June? Daddy this, daddy that...eff your daddy fixation. Get over it. My daddy died 29 years ago. You never forget, but you have to get over it. I did; obviously Claremont hasn't.

And that's setting aside my sorry@$$ed attitude. I want to give it a 3, but that's because its been a crappy week.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Jude Terror wrote:You guys are fucking bitches.

So?

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Jubilee wrote:It makes sense that a person like you would be getting with toothless slappers if you come to Britain.

What was I to do? I'm lonely, and your mum offered.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm

amlah6 wrote:I keep all my floppies in the closet away from any prying eyes.

Except when I am using the bathroom, I keep my floppy in my pants.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:24 pm

thefourthman wrote:This just in... X-Men Forever #18 stinks...
[spoiler]I put it in a bag and board last night with my copy of Captain Swing (which is an Avatar book, known for their chemical smell) and now it smells like an avatar book! :lol: [/spoiler]

I can't read most Avatar books. That smell burns my eyes and my sinuses.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 555 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 pm

48THRiLLS wrote::lol:
I didn't think it was bad. I really enjoyed the art, and that made it better for me... that or Jude said he would give my pick a good score if I pretended to like this.

Whatever it is, it gets a ten. :)
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I see many 'NS' SOD entries for Jude's future reviews. :lol:

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm

It looks to me that I have the pick for the last week in March. I'm not naming a book, but I'm wondering if I could nominate Previews? :P

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 pm

doombug wrote:We are Jude. You know we don't affect the sales of the books right? The direct market doesn't really have much of an effect. It's the actual shops who order a select number of the books who helps the sales of books.

Ask Lee.

Not true. If a shop continuously sells out a book and has to turn people away each week who ask for the book then they will eventually increase their orders to accomodate the consumer. So yes, you buying the issue absolutely helps the sales of the book.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Chubbles wrote:Not true. If a shop continuously sells out a book and has to turn people away each week who ask for the book then they will eventually increase their orders to accomodate the consumer. So yes, you buying the issue absolutely helps the sales of the book.

to a certain extant, yes. even bugging the shop to reorder the book helps, but in the big scheme of things, Doomie's right. There has to be an awful lot of shops doing this activity to make it happen... honestly, it only ever seems to really happen when ebay prices go stupid.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:06 am

Punchy wrote:Jude, what's the point in me or Doombug doing a review when you'll insult Amlah for a pretty well-reasoned review?

We can't win here.

Yeah which is why I don't get why he's so hurt over this. He knew exactly what he was getting into picking the book. :?

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:12 am

Jubilee wrote:I might not enjoy it, but it's a good idea for a series, and I reckon my nostalgia for Claremont will make me like this.

So it's okay for X-men forever to exist but not the new JLA book by Giffen, the new legion book or Birds of prey?

You've just destroyed your own argument. :lol:

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 am

doombug wrote:So it's okay for X-men forever to exist but not the new JLA book by Giffen, the new legion book or Birds of prey?

You've just destroyed your own argument. :lol:

Not really, it's not like this book is an actual X-book on the stands in continuity. If DC were to do Birds of Prey forever, it'd be ok, as the actual universe could move on.

Destroying my own argument? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:47 am

I almost bought this, I really did, but then I saw that the shop had a copy of Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode #3, and I needed that, so I bought that instead.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand