Advertisement

Review Group Week 211 - X-MEN FOREVER #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:55 am

Punchy wrote:I almost bought this, I really did, but then I saw that the shop had a copy of Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode #3, and I needed that, so I bought that instead.

If Marvel wasn't contractually obligated to allow Claremont to write two comics per month, it would be your fault when X-Men Forever was canceled. :x

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 129 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:50 pm

amlah6 wrote:If Marvel wasn't contractually obligated to allow Claremont to write two comics per month, it would be your fault when X-Men Forever was canceled. :x

Does he have to write the same two every month, though?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Does he have to write the same two every month, though?

he only ever wrote two and keeps writing them over and over... marvel knew what they were getting into.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 pm

thefourthman wrote:he only ever wrote two and keeps writing them over and over... marvel knew what they were getting into.

Jude needs to defend this book--I want to know what he's getting out of it. Also (to Jude), of all the people you've proselytized how many liked the book? You need to get your crew in here to tell us what was good about this issue. Or is it just Nerdygirl?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:05 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Jude needs to defend this book--I want to know what he's getting out of it. Also (to Jude), of all the people you've proselytized how many liked the book? You need to get your crew in here to tell us what was good about this issue. Or is it just Nerdygirl?

yeah, stop fucking around with your robot alter ego and get to telling us why this comic is good. dammit. This is the worst review group ever. Even the one guy who liked it so far was like" whatever, I'm still not reading it"

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1150 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:14 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Jude needs to defend this book--I want to know what he's getting out of it. Also (to Jude), of all the people you've proselytized how many liked the book? You need to get your crew in here to tell us what was good about this issue. Or is it just Nerdygirl?

The book is fun. It is feels like reading the X-Men of twenty years ago. The X-Men I got into when I was a kid. And unlike other books that try to do that and end up setting the entire comics universe back twenty years (AHEM DC), it does so on its own while not affecting any of those books. So I, as a fan of the comics from that era, and also as a fan of the comics today, can continue to enjoy to progression of modern comics while also enjoying a throwback to the comics I read as a kid.

In addition, Claremont was the greatest X-Men writer of all time, hands down, with only Morrison ever coming remotely close to having a run as defining, and that wasn't long enough to compete. Arguably, Claremont's X-Men run was the best run in comics history, period. And it is what got me into comics.

To have a legendary creator return to a series he left (was forced out of) twenty years ago and pick up where he left off is an awesome concept for fans. Especially when you consider that Claremont's unique style was long, slow burning plots. He told us in our interview that Wolverine's story arc that began in Fall of the Mutants had been leading up to the time when he left the book. Wolverine had been taking more and more damage, pushing himself harder and harder, without ever having a chance to rest and heal. He had plans to do something similar to what Millar did with Enemy of the State. Since he couldn't obviously do that with Forever, since it was done, he killed Logan off instead.

The point is, we get to see these things he was setting up for years finally resolved in the manner they were intended to. Claremont had a plan for all of these things. Like for Scott Summers, for instance. Scott was supposed to have a happy ending after all those years. He was supposed to remain married and living with Madelyn and their son in Alaska. It was editorial that decided to bring Jean Grey back and pull Scott back into X-Factor.

So reading Forever is reading an alternate universe, but in many ways, it's like reading the correct Universe. This is, perhaps, where many of those storylines would have ended up naturally. It is fun from both a fanboy perspective and from an observational, critical perspective.

Finally, I am just a fan of Claremont's style of slow burn plots. He throws a ton of stuff out there, let's it simmer and sees what develops. It's not all gold, but when it works its one of the most satisfying comic reading experiences. Reading the first trade of X-Men Forever won't do it justice. Reading the second won't. I enjoyed the early issues, but it's NOW been getting really good, because Claremont's stories take time to develop.

There are other cool things about the book that I'm sad people won't get to experience in this issue. Things like Sabertooth's interaction with the team. He's a bad guy, and we've seen him interact with the X-Men before, but all of a sudden, here, he's thrown in a story with them where they're both kind of on the same side. He's a killer and an asshole by nature, but his own fucked up sense of honor is causing him to side with these people as his allies. He is like Wolverine without the humanity, unrestrained, and we're seeing a perverted version of the relationship we saw with Logan and the X-Men, Logan and Kitty, Logan and Fury, etc. It's just fucking cool. Gives me fanboy chills.

If you're too jaded to even give a chance to enjoying this sort of thing, it's really your loss, but if you are actually open to giving it a shot, I would recommend you seriously read the entire series, the first volume of which will be concluding with issue 24, and then kicking off again with Giant Size X-Men Forever #1.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 pm

thefourthman wrote:yeah, stop fucking around with your robot alter ego and get to telling us why this comic is good. dammit. This is the worst review group ever. Even the one guy who liked it so far was like" whatever, I'm still not reading it"

I don't have my comics yet. :roll:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Jude Terror wrote:I don't have my comics yet. :roll:

Dang. Well can you get anyone you know who's read it and liked it to post here, thereby throwing some proverbial chum in the waters?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The book is fun. It is feels like reading the X-Men of twenty years ago. The X-Men I got into when I was a kid. And unlike other books that try to do that and end up setting the entire comics universe back twenty years (AHEM DC), it does so on its own while not affecting any of those books. So I, as a fan of the comics from that era, and also as a fan of the comics today, can continue to enjoy to progression of modern comics while also enjoying a throwback to the comics I read as a kid.

In addition, Claremont was the greatest X-Men writer of all time, hands down, with only Morrison ever coming remotely close to having a run as defining, and that wasn't long enough to compete. Arguably, Claremont's X-Men run was the best run in comics history, period. And it is what got me into comics.

To have a legendary creator return to a series he left (was forced out of) twenty years ago and pick up where he left off is an awesome concept for fans. Especially when you consider that Claremont's unique style was long, slow burning plots. He told us in our interview that Wolverine's story arc that began in Fall of the Mutants had been leading up to the time when he left the book. Wolverine had been taking more and more damage, pushing himself harder and harder, without ever having a chance to rest and heal. He had plans to do something similar to what Millar did with Enemy of the State. Since he couldn't obviously do that with Forever, since it was done, he killed Logan off instead.

The point is, we get to see these things he was setting up for years finally resolved in the manner they were intended to. Claremont had a plan for all of these things. Like for Scott Summers, for instance. Scott was supposed to have a happy ending after all those years. He was supposed to remain married and living with Madelyn and their son in Alaska. It was editorial that decided to bring Jean Grey back and pull Scott back into X-Factor.

So reading Forever is reading an alternate universe, but in many ways, it's like reading the correct Universe. This is, perhaps, where many of those storylines would have ended up naturally. It is fun from both a fanboy perspective and from an observational, critical perspective.

Finally, I am just a fan of Claremont's style of slow burn plots. He throws a ton of stuff out there, let's it simmer and sees what develops. It's not all gold, but when it works its one of the most satisfying comic reading experiences. Reading the first trade of X-Men Forever won't do it justice. Reading the second won't. I enjoyed the early issues, but it's NOW been getting really good, because Claremont's stories take time to develop.

There are other cool things about the book that I'm sad people won't get to experience in this issue. Things like Sabertooth's interaction with the team. He's a bad guy, and we've seen him interact with the X-Men before, but all of a sudden, here, he's thrown in a story with them where they're both kind of on the same side. He's a killer and an asshole by nature, but his own fucked up sense of honor is causing him to side with these people as his allies. He is like Wolverine without the humanity, unrestrained, and we're seeing a perverted version of the relationship we saw with Logan and the X-Men, Logan and Kitty, Logan and Fury, etc. It's just fucking cool. Gives me fanboy chills.

If you're too jaded to even give a chance to enjoying this sort of thing, it's really your loss, but if you are actually open to giving it a shot, I would recommend you seriously read the entire series, the first volume of which will be concluding with issue 24, and then kicking off again with Giant Size X-Men Forever #1.

Yeah, that confirms the nostalgia appeal. I was a fan of Uncanny X-Men V1 Claremont when I was young, but this just doesn't hit those buttons for me.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yeah, that confirms the nostalgia appeal. I was a fan of Uncanny X-Men V1 Claremont when I was young, but this just doesn't hit those buttons for me.

I would argue that it's not going to if you read one or two issues, though I haven't read this one yet. The more you read, the more you're hooked. Which is how comics were back then too. I would argue that people have simply gotten used to a different style.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Jude Terror wrote:I would argue that it's not going to if you read one or two issues, though I haven't read this one yet. The more you read, the more you're hooked. Which is how comics were back then too. I would argue that people have simply gotten used to a different style.

That's one reason I wanted your opinion on this particular issue, it may not be the best sampling to hook someone.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:29 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:That's one reason I wanted your opinion on this particular issue, it may not be the best sampling to hook someone.

I really really enjoyed the past two issues. I wish one of those could have been my pic. :( Haven't read this one yet.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Anyone interested in reviewing Image's Popgun Anthology for the site? They gave us a review PDF and offered interviews but there wasn't really any interest in the writers forum.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Anyone interested in reviewing Image's Popgun Anthology for the site? They gave us a review PDF and offered interviews but there wasn't really any interest in the writers forum.

I'd like to, but my free time has been tight lately. What's the deadline for review? Maybe I can swing it. I hate to hear there is no interest.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I am reviewing it for BF... so well there you go.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand