Advertisement

Review Group Week 211 - X-MEN FOREVER #18

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

YeaSureWhatever
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 0 post

Postby YeaSureWhatever » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Old Man wrote:The idea is to try a different book, then write a review. I don't always buy the reviewed book, and I don't always review each book.

I get that, but for my first review I wanted to give myself the chance to like the book

Old Man wrote:Welcome to the review group.

thanks
Old Man wrote:Supergirl is one word, btw. Yes, I'm THAT GUY.

yea, I'm gonna go ahead and tell you that me and spelling are not the best of friends.

Advertisement

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Punchy wrote:Byrne-stealing is for cunts.
You're a cunt, Cuntchy.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Punchy wrote:This isn't a matter of balls, it's a matter of not wanting spend money on something I won't like, I can't afford to do that.

It's because it's $4 instead of $3 isn't it? :roll: :P

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Jude Terror wrote:MOAR X-MEN FOREVER REVIEWS PLEASE!

Shit sandwich.

/guitarsmashley'd

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Alex Delarge wrote:OMG are you guys seriously going to make me review First Wave #1? LOL

It's not Sparta USA, but after Robocop, Supergirl and X-Men Forever I don't think anyone is complaining. :P

Welcome back.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:45 pm

amlah6 wrote:It's not Sparta USA, but after Robocop, Supergirl and X-Men Forever I don't think anyone is complaining. :P

Welcome back.

I'm sure someone will.

Postby ****** » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I'm sure someone will.

It's a $4 comic so Punchy should be happy. If Punchy's happy, Twigg will be happy. It's not a Bendis comic so Old Man should be happy. It's doombug's pick so even if he hate's FW he'll pretend to be happy. Jude banned 4thy so Broken Frontier should be happy.

If anyone else has a problem, they should just stfu. :x

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:31 pm

First Wave will hopefully be fun. 8)

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 am

amlah6 wrote:It's a $4 comic so Punchy should be happy. If Punchy's happy, Twigg will be happy. It's not a Bendis comic so Old Man should be happy. It's doombug's pick so even if he hate's FW he'll pretend to be happy. Jude banned 4thy so Broken Frontier should be happy.

4thy hates Azzarello.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:36 am

amlah6 wrote:It's a $4 comic so Punchy should be happy. If Punchy's happy, Twigg will be happy. It's not a Bendis comic so Old Man should be happy. It's doombug's pick so even if he hate's FW he'll pretend to be happy. Jude banned 4thy so Broken Frontier should be happy.

Ok smart guy--what will Mr. Batman's excuse be then?

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 am

I have this, just havn't read it yet. I'm trying to obtain the first issues first.

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:45 am

X-Men Forever #18

For the record, I did not start actively reading comics until late 2004, when "Identity Crisis" was in full swing at DC. I occasionally picked up comics during the 80's and 90's, but I was not a big fan. Thus, the nostalgia factor is basically a non-issue for me going into X-Men Forever, Marvel's throwback series for fans of Chris Claremont's classic X-Men run.

The story is pretty straightforward and well serves its purpose of establishing Scott as a responsible parent. Great, now that that's out of the way, let's blow up a spaceship! My only real complaint about the story is the dialogue, which harkens back to 80's comic conventions. It's not terrible, but it is a bit dated.

The artwork is solid and helps enhance the illusion that the 80's never ended. The only problem, as others have mentioned, is that the comic uses more modern coloring techniques rather than fully embracing its nostalgia trip. Still, no real complaints here.

The cover is awful. It looks like Prof. X donned Cyclops' outfit and promptly had a heart attack.

I can see why fans of Claremont's X-Men run are eating this up. It picks up exactly where his run left off, and there are just enough modern touches to keep the title fresh. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed this issue. I am certainly not going to continue with the title, but I would heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a classic X-Men title.

Story: 7.5
Art: 7.5
Overall: 7.5

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:02 am

Spicy Dick wrote:Ok smart guy--what will Mr. Batman's excuse be then?

Mr_Batman's tired of excuses so even if he has one he'll be keeping it to himself. :P

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 657 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 am

amlah6 wrote:Mr_Batman's tired of excuses so even if he has one he'll be keeping it to himself. :P
:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:37 am

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand