Advertisement

Review Group Week 212 - FIRST WAVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:50 pm

48THRiLLS wrote:I posted my review for Choker.

Got it. 8)

Advertisement

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Picked up a copy of First Wave and read it over my lunch hour. I wasn't blown away, but it's not bad. I probably need to read it again before I do my review.

YeaSureWhatever
Mad Hatter

Postby YeaSureWhatever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 pm

First Wave #1
Brian Azzarello & Rags Morales

What the bloody hell was that all about? Maybe I am not as smart as I think I am, but I had no idea what any one was doing or talking about the entire issue. I had not read any press releases or previews of what First Wave is supposed to be about, but if its trying to bring Doc Savage and The Sprit to a bigger (more modern?) audience a little background information would be nice. Form what I gathered, Doc Savage is a self-important scientist guy whose dad was killed by a gang of people that worship Wilson and the Spirit is the reanimated body of a 1940s retired cop? No really, who are these people? When does this story take place? By “pulp comic” do they mean that it takes place in the 1930s-40s or do they mean that they can phone in the writing?

I know, I know – “Read the other 5 issues to find out.” No. Nothing about this book inspired me to lay down twenty more dollars ($4 * 5 more issues) unless that topless blue haired chick turns around and they invent comic book lap dance technology. If this is DC's response to Marvel’s Noir universe then they at least need to have as cool of covers as X-Men noir to make up for the annoyingly vague story inside.

Story – 2
Art - 7

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:44 pm

This story takes place in a world similar to the Batman animated series, with some modern tech, and some old-fashioned stuff. 'Cell-phones and Tommy Guns' is the basic gist.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 pm

stupid neito... I'll be back later. :evil:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:23 pm

thefourthman wrote:stupid neito... I'll be back later. :evil:

Troll! Ban him again!

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm

First Wave #1(of 6)
I went into this completely blind. I do not know who Doc Savage is nor do I know who The Spirit is, sure I have heard of them but I have never read any of their comics. Why was Batman on the cover to this? To sell a few more books since they knew Doc and the Spirit would not be much of a draw? Anyways, the story is sorta vague and all over the place, yeah I know it is the first issue and mostly set up but to me a good first issue has a great hook to get you to want to read the next issue and I did not find that after I finished this. Is there a sorta cliff hanger ending? Sure but I don't know what the hell it meant. The art on the other hand was beautiful and saved what I thought was a pretty forgettable read.
I wish I had more to say but my brain hurts at this point.

STORY - 5

ART - 8

OVERALL - 6

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:16 pm

The group of airmen at the end are a new version of The Blackhawks:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 pm

Why do get the feeling only 4 of us are going to actually enjoy this? :lol:

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:52 pm

doombug wrote:Why do get the feeling only 4 of us are going to actually enjoy this? :lol:

That would still make it the most popular pick of 2010. :wink:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Maybe it needed Matt Fraction to write little caption boxes for each character. :wink:

For instance, does anyone know what Marvel Comics character John Sunlight is the probably inspiration for?

(I have to admit I was hoping Sunlight would be used here.)

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:07 pm

So, questions for anyone paying more attention than I:

Why is this called First Wave?

What is the plan? This is a 5 or 6 issue mini, right? What is the structure, more miniseries after? No ongoings, just minis?

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:So, questions for anyone paying more attention than I:

Why is this called First Wave?

What is the plan? This is a 5 or 6 issue mini, right? What is the structure, more miniseries after? No ongoings, just minis?

the spirit and doc ongoings are launched possibly by another ongoing depending on sales I think.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 pm

First Wave #1

The first word that came to my mind when I finished this was: intriguing. There were parts of it that I didn't quite get yet, but knowing Brian Azarello's style, I have every confidence that this is going to turn into one heck of a story.

Not knowing much about Savage or The Spirit makes it even sweeter. Old characters that I can learn about for the first time and in the more than capable hands of one of comic's best writers in the last ten years.

And the combination of Azzarello and Rags Morales is a perfect marraige as well. Excellent pick and I will be continuing this series in hopes that it continues in the powerful vein it has started in.

Story: 8
Art: 9
My Score: 8.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Wow I thought this was pretty bad

Good art.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand