Advertisement

Review Group Week 213 - DAYTRIPPER #4

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 88 posts

Postby MrBlack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Punchy wrote:MrBlack! The shipping list for next week is out, loathe though I may be to make recommendations to a Mod, here are some of the the highlights:

American Vampire #1
The Brave & The Bold #32
Hercules: Fall Of An Avenger #1
X-Factor: Forever #1

I'm probably going to pick Irredeemable #12.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 723 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm

MrBlack wrote:I'm probably going to pick Irredeemable #12.

Let me know and I will let Boom know.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Let me know and I will let Boom know.

Well heck, let's just go with Irredeemable #12 then.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm

MrBlack wrote:Well heck, let's just go with Irredeemable #12 then.

[center]Image
Irredeemable #12
selected by MrBlack[/center]
Writer(s): Mark Waid
Artist(s): Diego Barreto, Peter Krause

With Modeus at last revealed and standing by Plutonian's side, the Paradigm--and the world--have no defense against Armageddon! But is this the end? Or only the beginning? A not to be missed issue of BOOM!’s bestselling apocalyptic superhero ongoing by multiple Eisner Award-winning KINGDOM COME and EMPIRE author Mark Waid.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 70 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:15 pm

i love it when we do books i'm not reading!!! :-D

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Postby MrBlack » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:22 pm

Maybe not the best place to pick it up for new readers, but I do love this book and would like to see it get more attention.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 pm

MrBlack wrote:Maybe not the best place to pick it up for new readers, but I do love this book and would like to see it get more attention.

good thing about boom, is I can go to the thingy and read all of them before it comes out.

It gets plenty of attention. There are way too many books like it though. Back when it, Absolution and the Mighty started, The Mighty is the one I liked and stuck with.

I read the first issue and then the first trade, but it didn't really grab me, the epic 11 issue read will be fun though.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I always look forward to reading this more than most books.

The Mighty was great, I'm sorry it may have ended prematurely, but to toss Irredeemable off as another iteration of The Mighty is wrong, they grow to be very different books over the 12-ish issues of each.

Irredeemable is not just a book about The Plutonian's rampage at this point, although that is still the compelling centerpiece to the story. The characterization really stands out as he fleshes out the rest of the cast over the run so far.

I am so looking forward to some info on Modeus.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:I always look forward to reading this more than most books.

The Mighty was great, I'm sorry it may have ended prematurely, but to toss Irredeemable off as another iteration of The Mighty is wrong, they grow to be very different books over the 12-ish issues of each.

Irredeemable is not just a book about The Plutonian's rampage at this point, although that is still the compelling centerpiece to the story. The characterization really stands out as he fleshes out the rest of the cast over the run so far.

I am so looking forward to some info on Modeus.

I certainly don't think it was a rip off of the Mighty...

I liked it, but sometimes I have a hard time following multiple books that are similar Irredeemable lost out, but I hear very good things. I am looking forward to it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Nice, an easy book to read on PDF

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 pm

thefourthman wrote:I certainly don't think it was a rip off of the Mighty...

I liked it, but sometimes I have a hard time following multiple books that are similar Irredeemable lost out, but I hear very good things. I am looking forward to it.

Or you could say Irredeemable won out. :lol:

I didn't pick up The Mighty until the end when I bought the back issues a couple months before it ended. Good stuff.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Or you could say Irredeemable won out. :lol:

I didn't pick up The Mighty until the end when I bought the back issues a couple months before it ended. Good stuff.

I BLAME YOU

*runs out of room crying*

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:I BLAME YOU

*runs out of room crying*

Yep, all my fault. Don't you think BOOM! did a better job of getting their book out there publicity-wise though?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Spicy Dick wrote:Yep, all my fault. Don't you think BOOM! did a better job of getting their book out there publicity-wise though?

Boom has to do a better job than Marvel or DC does and Waid and the crew did a phenomenal job with this book. I still want a Waid is Evil Shirt.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:38 pm

Daytripper #4

By Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon

So when I read the first issue of this series I think it took the scene at the bar to hook me and then I was really curious as to where things would head. The of course I got to issue #3 and was still confused but really pulled in by Bras as a character.

Bras through the story seems to be your typical struggling writer who does his best to do right by his family friends and in some cases the women he falls in love with. What was interesting in this issue was the exploration of a slightly older bras relationship with his parents and his wife who was about to have their first child.

The exploration between Bras and the mysterious girl who he once let get away was a highlight for me. I really enjoyed the over all mystery of who she was and how she was connected to his father. (not sure if I read it right but was she a love interest for Bras or was she his father's illegitimate daughter from another woman?)

The art is as as strong as the brothers have every been in my opinion. I feel that you can't tell exactly which brother is drawing what and their styles really seem to mesh together extremely well.

I'm really curious to see exactly how Bras is still alive at these different points in his life and just what everything means. My current theory is that we are following Bras as he writes a book that will be successful about a fictional version of himself who dies after several important moments in his life.

Art: 10
Story: 7.5

Over all: A solid 8.
Last edited by doombug on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand