Advertisement

Review Group Week 214 - IRREDEEMABLE #12

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:47 am

Punchy wrote:The only threads that really need to be answered don't necessarily have to involve Mephisto, the Harry Osborn reveal proves that. The restoration of the secret identity probably has nothing to do with Mephisto.

I know they probably will address it this year, that jigsaw teaser shows that, but I don't think it's necessary, I'm perfectly fine with them not going back to it, and just moving forwards.

The MJ threads definitely deal with it, because there is the secret of whatever she whispered to him. Yeah, you are right though, they should treat it like Morrison's New X-Men and just ignore it, too bad they didn't. :roll:

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:50 am

thefourthman wrote:The MJ threads definitely deal with it, because there is the secret of whatever she whispered to him. Yeah, you are right though, they should treat it like Morrison's New X-Men and just ignore it, too bad they didn't. :roll:

I just don't think they should, I know they are, but I don't particularly care about these plotlines. I don't read each issue of ASM and expect Mephisto, or a mention of OMD.

It was supposed to be a brand new day, you don't get that by always looking back.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:55 am

Punchy wrote:I just don't think they should, I know they are, but I don't particularly care about these plotlines. I don't read each issue of ASM and expect Mephisto, or a mention of OMD.

It was supposed to be a brand new day, you don't get that by always looking back.

I'm all for forward momentum, but you don't set up a storyline like that with an obvious play into the future of the book and not deal with it. That's how you piss long time readers off. If there is no pay off, then OMD was a needless stunt and that would make it worse than it already is.

Morrison's Batman works because he is building a giant, epic story. If he just ignored what he did in Batman and Son, then it would be worthless, meaningless dreck.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:01 am

Back on topic, what do you think about what I said about Volume One and Two of Irredeemable there young british lad?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:43 am

thefourthman wrote:Back on topic, what do you think about what I said about Volume One and Two of Irredeemable there young british lad?

I think you're pretty spot-on, the book's not as good as everyone says, but it has enough strong elements.

I find that whenever the focus is on the loosely sketched Paradigm characters, the book suffers, but whenever the focus is on Plutonian, it's very strong.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:31 am

Jubilee wrote:Wait, you did the thing you complained about Punchy doing. How is that not being hypocritical.

Because I did it on purpose to show him how annoying it is.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:53 am

Daddy Fragbucks wrote:Because I did it on purpose to show him how annoying it is.

Yeah, sure.

You can be annoying just by being yourself!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:17 am

Irredeemable #12

This was a little hard for me to digest since it was in the middle of a storyline that seems to be pretty big. I enjoyed it though. I may end collecting this in trades because I did find this new world to be fascinating. Art was okay, nothing great but nothing horrible.

Story:7
Art: 5
My Score: 6

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Mr_Batman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:23 am

Another Spider-Man issue?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 641 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am

thefourthman wrote:There have been hints since the very beginning of Brand New Day to this day that OMD is a story that will resolve itself eventually. This is most evident every time MJ is in the book, because she remembers more than even Peter seems to know. It is a very long process and epic in that manner.

If that's true, it could end up being an incredible story.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:04 pm

Punchy wrote:The restoration of the secret identity probably has nothing to do with Mephisto.

Wha...Huh?
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Old Man wrote:Wha...Huh?

Mephisto didn't cause it, Spider-Man is unaware that OMD happened, that he ever made the deal, but there have been hints that he knows the how and why his secret ID was restored.

It's like the Harry Osborn resurrection, it may have happened with OMD, but it wasn't because of the Mephisto deal, it was because Norman hired Mysterio to fake it.

Old Man
cheese

Postby Old Man » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Punchy wrote:Mephisto didn't cause it, Spider-Man is unaware that OMD happened, that he ever made the deal, but there have been hints that he knows the how and why his secret ID was restored.

It's like the Harry Osborn resurrection, it may have happened with OMD, but it wasn't because of the Mephisto deal, it was because Norman hired Mysterio to fake it.

Thanks, Punchy.

That may all be true in the NuSpider-Universe, but it makes no sense to me.
I was perfectly content before I was born.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:23 pm

Old Man wrote:Thanks, Punchy.

That may all be true in the NuSpider-Universe, but it makes no sense to me.

It's true in this universe too!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:46 am

Irredeemable #12

Mark Waid is pretty reliable. I don't think I've ever read a truly horrible comic by him. His Fantastic Four run is is pretty great and Kingdom Come is pretty awful but much of his output falls, for me, solidly in the middle. This middle ground is where his Irredeemable writing has landed.

When I read a hero gone bad story, I get the feeling that I've read it before. Even Powers had trouble putting a truly awesome spin on it, and that featured the Gaza strip getting razed and the Pope melting on-panel. Irredeemable has had a couple of these moments, and the murder of Tony's former foster siblings (I think that's what they were anyway) here is a smaller example of the evil that Singapore's destruction earlier but still manages to be a highlight for the book. The portrayal of evil here is always solid.

The good guys, however, are rubbish. Everything about them is flat and uninteresting, with fairly generic powers (with one exception) and costumes and personalities that amount to them disagreeing and infighting while running away from the fight. Also their costumes are some kind of fugly. Even the artwork seems to look worse when our heroes are the focus, looking sketchier and less expressive. The art doesn't really stand out at the best of times, with a sort generic DC house style in effect bringing nothing extraordinary or special to the party but at least when Tony takes centre stage the combination of glowering, cowering and overpowering (ugh, I'm sorry) that goes on brings out the best in Peter Krause.

Ultimately the book is a solid villain comic half the time and a bland superhero book the other half. It balances out as a fairly average book but one that might come into its own as the concept plays out.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand