Advertisement

Review Group Week 227 - NEW NEW AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:36 pm

Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Advertisement

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:38 pm

The Killer is optioned as a film with Fincher as DIRECTOR?

I may never lose the boner I just got.

Evidently the French title of next week's book is Headshot.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 pm

I can't wait for next week!

:smt026

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 pm

thefourthman wrote:The Killer is optioned as a film with Fincher as DIRECTOR?

I may never lose the boner I just got.

If you get a fanboy erection lasting more than 4 hours, seek immediate medical help to avoid long-term injury.

In rare instances, men experiencing fanboy erections reported a sudden decrease or loss of vision or hearing (sometimes with ringing in the ears and dizziness). It's not possible to determine if these events are related directly to the fanboy erection or to other factors, such as excessive contact with trolls. If you have a sudden decrease or loss of vision or hearing, stop thinking about comic books, including film or TV adaptations of comic books, and call your doctor right away.

Mr_Batman
Review Grouper

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Mr_Batman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:57 pm

A few things...
When did Punchy return?
Who is this Charles Mansion person?
And, I have never heard of next week's book

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Mr_Batman wrote:A few things...
When did Punchy return?
Who is this Charles Mansion person?
And, I have never heard of next week's book

Some say he has a piquante penis. Others say he has a hot cock. But most of us think it's just gonorrhea.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:13 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Some say he has a piquante penis. Others say he has a hot cock. But most of us think it's just gonorrhea.

I think it's all 3 of these things, personally.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:43 pm

I'll be giving you my review on Monday night when I get my books but after reading these reviews I'm not so sure I want to now.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 245 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 pm

New Avengers #1

It's no secret I was big on New Avengers, I Started reading the book with issue #3. I've loved the evolution of the team from being front and center in the media to then having to go underground against Tony Stark and the registration act, to fighting the hood and having Clint Barton step up and become leader again. All in all it's been a great series so far.

So with this new #1 I was a little nervous, I loved the preview, reading it last week and reading through this thread my hopes got just a little bit dashed. So when I finally got to sit down and read the issue myself I came to one conclusion....this group is insane. :lol:

What I read was a fun first issue that had plenty of strong character moments and some interesting set up to a problem that's been boiling since right before a new sorcerer supreme was named. This has been set up so far in advance that casual and new readers wouldn't have caught on to how far in advance it's been set up. (Hellstrom gave a cryptic warning that something big was coming at least a year and a half ago in New Avengers.)

Anyways we get Luke Cage being stubborn which leads to a revelation that Avengers mansion has been rebuilt and the fact that Steve Rogers wants this Avengers team to still be alive and well. It also looks like Luke will be the team leader which is odd as he's also leading the Thunderbolts which I am sure will be referenced down the line as things change for both teams.

It looks like for at least the first arc we are dealing with the biggest roster yet ranging almost 10-11 members depending on how long certain players stay possessed. (It's obvious to me that Doctor Voodoo will be staying on the team. Though Strange is in the preview art as well so I guess we'll see)

I enjoy the character interractions just as much as the other two books that Ed and Brian have already launched and it's always great to see guys like Danny and even strong female leads like Carol and Jessica getting plenty of limelight.

Also things will get really interesting as Luke is now seemingly possessed and Victoria Hand is the new Liaison for the team.

Verdict

Story: 8.5
Art: 10
Back up: 10

Final Score: 9

Guess i'm Punchy/Twigg this week which is fine by me.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm

starlord wrote:I'll be giving you my review on Monday night when I get my books but after reading these reviews I'm not so sure I want to now.

Ignore the hate Bri, it's truly nitpicking at it's worst for certain posters.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:56 pm

doombug wrote:New Avengers #1

It's no secret I was big on New Avengers, I Started reading the book with issue #3. I've loved the evolution of the team from being front and center in the media to then having to go underground against Tony Stark and the registration act, to fighting the hood and having Clint Barton step up and become leader again. All in all it's been a great series so far.

So with this new #1 I was a little nervous, I loved the preview, reading it last week and reading through this thread my hopes got just a little bit dashed. So when I finally got to sit down and read the issue myself I came to one conclusion....this group is insane. :lol:

What I read was a fun first issue that had plenty of strong character moments and some interesting set up to a problem that's been boiling since right before a new sorcerer supreme was named. This has been set up so far in advance that casual and new readers wouldn't have caught on to how far in advance it's been set up. (Hellstrom gave a cryptic warning that something big was coming at least a year and a half ago in New Avengers.)

Anyways we get Luke Cage being stubborn which leads to a revelation that Avengers mansion has been rebuilt and the fact that Steve Rogers wants this Avengers team to still be alive and well. It also looks like Luke will be the team leader which is odd as he's also leading the Thunderbolts which I am sure will be referenced down the line as things change for both teams.

It looks like for at least the first arc we are dealing with the biggest roster yet ranging almost 10-11 members depending on how long certain players stay possessed. (It's obvious to me that Doctor Voodoo will be staying on the team. Though Strange is in the preview art as well so I guess we'll see)

I enjoy the character interractions just as much as the other two books that Ed and Brian have already launched and it's always great to see guys like Danny and even strong female leads like Carol and Jessica getting plenty of limelight.

Also things will get really interesting as Luke is now seemingly possessed and Victoria Hand is the new Liaison for the team.

Verdict

Story: 8.5
Art: 10
Back up: 10

Final Score: 9

Guess i'm Punchy/Twigg this week which is fine by me.

The Great One: 1. Haterz: 0
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The Great One: 1. Haterz: 0

:lol: this is so not helping.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:01 pm

doombug wrote::lol: this is so not helping.

Don't be ashamed of your love of The Great One. I love Him too.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Don't be ashamed of your love of The Great One. I love Him too.

I don't mind Bendis. I am definitely not a hater. His stuff on Ultimate Spider-Man was very solid.

His Avengers work, I think, is hit or miss. I thought Breakout was a great opening arc to New Avengers. And Secrets and Lies had its moments. But the Sentry arc was a steaming pile of crap; and the lead up to Secret Invasion was so prolonged and, at times, illogical that I lost interest in the book. Admittedly, Yu's art was not strong enough to carry so many characters in each panel, and that made it harder and less satisfying to read. But still, it dragged on and on.

More recently, the first issue of The Avengers rocked. That, to me, was a great read with a really kick ass cliffhanger. But the New Avengers reboot was not nearly as fun. I was hoping NA would be more street-level action, where Cage and team would battle threats that actually match their skills and powers. But this magic story doesn't really seem to fit with the team. That's my complaint. Maybe, as the story unfolds, this will make more sense. But it doesn't right now.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Don't be ashamed of your love of The Great One. I love Him too.

I forget that Brian is a writer who's work you seem to really enjoy. even before the great one stuff. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand