Advertisement

Review Group Week 227 - NEW NEW AVENGERS #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:59 am

Jude,

You really can't like that comic that much.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 73 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:05 am

starlord wrote:welcome back. How was Greece? Very jealous. Greece and England are the two places in Europe I always wanted to visit.

It was awesome, really hot, there was a heat wave, so it was 40 degrees celsius. I got a tan, got drunk a lot, ate some good food, and swam in nice clean ocean. Good times, but it's nice to back in rainy England.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:06 am

Jude's review is amazing.

'By the hoary hosts of STFU' is brilliance.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 am

Jude should get some kind of performance award for his review.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:10 am

thefourthman wrote:Jude should get some kind of performance award for his review.

Definitely a No Prize.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:30 am

Jude scores XMF and NA the same, that's pretty spot on actually.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

John Snow wrote:Jude scores XMF and NA the same, that's pretty spot on actually.

:lol: (although I would like to read more of New Avengers to see where it is going, not so much the X-Men, but that may be because of my own bigotry)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 717 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:07 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Jude,

You really can't like that comic that much.

It was a perfect first issue, just like SHIELD #1, which I also gave a ten to.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:03 pm

NEW AVENGERS #1
This was a very mixed bag for me, I will first off say that this is definitely a book for people who enjoyed the current New Avengers run by Bendis. I was sorta hoping that there would be more of a roster shake up but aside from the Thing (which I absolutely love) being added it is pretty much the same cast. I loved the back and forth between Tony, Steve, and Luke... selling the 'newly remodeled' Avengers mansion was fun and I loved the line by Steve 'who do you want? you can't have Thor or Iron Man'' and Wolverine saying 'Hey, I'm an X-man and on TWO Avengers teams... Multitasking. it is my mutant power' I thought was funny also... but I enjoy the Bendis speak so whatev's. My 2 quibbles with this issue are: why did this need to be a new number one? And I am just not that into the Marvel magic stuff, I absolutely love Dr. Strange and having him on the Avengers in the past was something I enjoyed but Daimon Hellstrom and Brother Vooodoo are 2 characters I could do without... so when this issue ends with Luke Cage picking up the Eye of Agamotto and having 2 possessed sorcerers after the new team I was a little let down but not enough to be disappointed... I am just over the whole magic stuff I guess. Stuart Immonen is a big draw for me on this book, I am super glad that he is still on an Avengers book and he does not disappoint here, I just love how he draws everyone and everything and I think this stuff is better than his Nextwave pencils but that is just me.

STORY - 7

ART - 10

OVERALL - 8

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Jude Terror wrote:It was a perfect first issue, just like SHIELD #1, which I also gave a ten to.

There are no perfect issues, only perfect idiots.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:44 pm

Jude Terror wrote:It was a perfect first issue, just like SHIELD #1, which I also gave a ten to.

i can honestly respect this if jude is being serious. 8)

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:45 pm

Charles Mansion Reilly wrote:There are no perfect issues, only perfect idiots.

quiet J :lol:

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Jude Terror wrote:The New Avengers #1
Written by: The Great One
Art by: Stuart Immonen

Masterpiece. Triumph. Tour de force. These are the kind of words that spring to mind when considering The Great One's seven year run on various Avengers books. The architect of the dark age of Marvel, and the creator of the Heroic Age has been absolutely on fire, and as He has just wrapped up one of the most epic, long-running storylines in Marvel history with Siege, the conclusion to the story that began in Avengers Disassembled, readers everywhere have been anticipating the start of another defining era. Well, everywhere except the internet, where nitpicking haterz congregate to spew pathetic, jealousy-fueled venom from the anonymous comfort of their parents' basements.

Haterz, for instance, complain about The Great One's use of Marvel Magic in this issue. For some reason, despite Marvel Magic following the same rules it has since its inception (make up crazy, magical sounding names for spells and objects and ascribe whatever powers desired to it), haterz are claiming that His use of magic in this issue defies the laws of logic. By the hoary hosts of STFU, you people are fucking ridiculous. I mean, it's certainly no "saying words backwards", but the magic here functions as it always has and as magic should. If anything, The Great One's addition of captions describing the spells and what arcane text they come from adds more legitimacy to this, an adolescent fantasy about super-powered beings beating each other up.

The fact is, haterz just refuse to admit that The Great One has pulled off another home run, and that this is a fantastic first issue. We see some heroic age goodness, the interaction between the various Marvel Universe characters and the newly resurrected Steve Rogers and newly redeemed Tony Stark, which people have been clamoring for since they realized the end of the dark age was in sight. We also have the beginnings of a unique and interesting storyline, with a yet to be revealed big bad villain, and a cast featuring some of the most interesting characters of the magical corner of the Marvel Universe. The contagious possession happening in this book is intriguing and the interaction between the possessed and their future victims when the realization occurs that these are not the people they seem to be is ominous and chilling.

A mystery has been set up that I want to know the answer to, a sense of danger to the Marvel Universe has been established, and our protagonists have been left on the verge of an attack. What more could anyone ask for in a first issue?

Simple: A story without magic.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:52 pm

doombug wrote:i can honestly respect this if jude is being serious. 8)

Pfft! Jude only joined the Review Group to try and stoke the drama! He said so in the 20somethings thread!

Which I monitor regularly at the behest of an unnamed third party.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Simple: A story without magic.

I have a question for you Eli, you like crime and noir stories but you don't like magic. Do you like Hellblazer?
Last edited by Punchy on Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand