Advertisement

Review Group Week 238 - 1 MONTH 2 LIVE #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week 238 - 1 MONTH 2 LIVE #1

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Zero wrote:I don't have the issue in front of me now, but I got the impression he'd done different statues from the plans because the ones at the end were bloody huge. Am I mis-remembering? Is this really a conversation that happened?

No, you're not misremembering, and yes I asked myself the same thing.

Advertisement

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:47 pm

I can't help but think that the mini would be better served by starting with the McKelvie art, best foot forward and all.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Zero wrote:I can't help but think that the mini would be better served by starting with the McKelvie art, best foot forward and all.

That cover looks interesting, and that's one reason I may just finish the run of it after all.

SilverPhoenix
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Harbinger of the Ponypocalyse
Formerly: Lord Solaris, Discord

Postby SilverPhoenix » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:52 pm

One Month to Live #1

What if you had only one month to live? What if you had the ability to make things better for others? Would you step up, or falter to the challenge?

No one is immortal, and as much as this reviewer wishes that he were sometimes (and I'm sure I'm not the only one), he like everyone else will meet the end of their time on this mortal coil. The most inescapable thing about life is that it will someday end, and while it is not something the majority of us think about often, death is still something that's waiting for us at the end of life's road, which can be at any point. It very rarely fails to be a shock when you get the news that you have a terminal disease. Usually regrets and Bucket Lists come into play, but what if you got powers that could make a real difference? What could someone do then?

That's the question that comes into play in Marvel's “One Month to Live”, which is second of their 5-week long projects (The first one was “Heralds”), which are released every comic book day this month. “One Month to Live” is also different, because it's a collaborative effort, which will combine 10 different writers and artists on a project, which gives someone who has had to live as an average and ordinary person in a Universe that is anything but. Something that is very ambitious once you understand why this story was made. However, ambtion alone doesn't make a comic worth reading, and as I read this book, I wondered if that ambition and promise would come together? And for the most part, it definitely does.

The story itself is quite compelling, as our protagonist starts out as a banker who lives in a situation where he can provide for his wife and family, however the price he pays for that opportunity makes him little more than a cog in the system, a tool which his bosses use to dispense their will upon others. Even though he wishes to do and be better, those wishes are supresses by the fact that he needs to make sure where his next meal and mortage payment are coming from. This all changes by the end of the story, where he is finally in a position to impact the world the way he wants to impact it. It's all very well set up, as we get a good clue as to why we should care about the situation, and what he wants to do, and it makes you hope that he succeeds.

The art is also quite good, as we do get to see each of these characters emotions through the art, and the name characters that do appear are also drawn very well. Andrea Mutti definitely gives a good first impression of herself, even if her art is not as eye grabbing as Ivan Reis' might be, it'll still be nice to see where she goes from here, and what she learns from this stand up effort.

“One Month to Live #1” is definitely an impressive start to this second weekly series' of Marvel's, I just hope it continues to live up to the promise that the first issue showed.

The Breakdown

Story: ***3/4 (7.5): The story of a man who has to make some difficult choices, is definitely well told, and is more than enough to draw almost anyone in.

Art: ***1/2 (7): The Artist gives a dashing effort as she draws her subjects emotions very well, and gives a good showing the name characters

Acessibilty: ***** (10): This is as accessible as it gets ladies and gentlemen. Everything you need to know is right in that book. No one should have any problem getting into this.

Final Judgment: ***3/4 Stars (7.5)

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:55 pm

nice review.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm

thefourthman wrote:nice review.

SP always puts the effort in. 8)

Hey SP, somehow you didn't get pre-loaded in the Usergroup with everyone else (my fault probably, sorry! I'll make sure you get in the OP in the right position later this week.), if you go into your UCP and add yourself to the Review Group usergroup, it'll give you that Review Grouper thing in your user status and it will include you in the group PMs.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:31 pm

Not everyone hates the book. It came out better for me the second read, and the teased upcoming issues prove that although this issue had some themes that could be considered cliche, the story is headed off who knows where.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:40 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Not everyone hates the book. It came out better for me the second read, and the teased upcoming issues prove that although this issue had some themes that could be considered cliche, the story is headed off who knows where.

I didn't completely hate it. I actually liked the fact that nothing seemed to come easily to the guy, especially all the family shit.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I don't hate the book, as much as I just wish it was better. Fourthbro says "It is better than it has any right being."
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
I didn't completely hate it. I actually liked the fact that nothing seemed to come easily to the guy, especially all the family shit.

Stupid ungrateful niece! :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:54 pm

thefourthman wrote:I don't hate the book, as much as I just wish it was better. Fourthbro says "It is better than it has any right being."

I just couldn't stop thinking about the pain he'd be in if his cancer was that advanced.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I just couldn't stop thinking about the pain he'd be in if his cancer was that advanced.

nit pick it to death, huh?
No I get you. It was a little far fetched.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:20 pm

thefourthman wrote:nit pick it to death, huh?
No I get you. It was a little far fetched.

I empathize with the character and it's a nit pick? :x

They specifically said in one of the interviews that they were treating the cancer realistically, and realistically Dennis is going to feel a whole lot worse before long then. :-(

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I empathize with the character and it's a nit pick? :x

They specifically said in one of the interviews that they were treating the cancer realistically, and realistically Dennis is going to feel a whole lot worse before long then. :-(

I'm just picking on you. Sorry. :-(

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:44 pm

thefourthman wrote:I'm just picking on you. Sorry. :-(

Now you see why I could never watch Scrubs!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand