Advertisement

Review Group Week 241 - NEMESIS #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

skywatcher
Swedish Pinata of Death

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Review Group Week 241 - NEMESIS #3

Postby skywatcher » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:51 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Well if there was no incest, I don't see what the parents are so up set about. Cheer up grandma & grandpa!

They are understandably upset by their daughter being forcibly artificially inseminated! :P The fact that the "father" is her brother only compounds the issue. :P :P

(Am I to argue this point with you now?)

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:54 pm

skywatcher wrote:They are understandably upset by their daughter being forcibly artificially inseminated! :P The fact that the "father" is her brother only compounds the issue. :P :P

(Am I to argue this point with you now?)

Or they just thought they should've waited until after college maybe.

And you wish!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Punchy wrote:
They just love abortions so much.

I have a t-shirt that says almost the same thing.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:26 pm

I'm not completely looking forward to it but you made the right choice Eli.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Having not read the first two issues of Nemesis, I don't really feel that I can give this a full review, but I'll do what I can.

Nemesis is like many of Millar's recent comic work. It's action-packed and is basically a movie pitch in comic form, just waiting for a Hollywood studio to turn it into a hyper-violent movie that appeals to teenage boys and action aficionados.

The pros to issue 3 of Nemesis is that it's highly accessible to new readers. Both me and a friend were able to read through it with little issue as to what had come before. Also the art is top notch.

The cons is that, much like Millar's other recent work, it relies on heavy doses of violence and the gross out factor to make the story work. Millar's not going for a deep story here, he's going for "OH MY GOD, SO HARDCORE" moments, and it shows. There's no real originality here, just a plethora of shocking moments designed to show just how big of a prick Nemesis is.

At the end of the day, Nemesis is Millar's latest cash cow. While I applaud him for using comics as a way to score easy cash off of Hollywood and bringing more interest to comics, I can't say I particularly like it. Some people might like cops getting impaled by nightsticks, but I'm not one of them. I'll probably pass on the movie when it comes out.

Story: 5
Art: 9
Overall: 7

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:03 pm

BlueStreak wrote:
much like Millar's other recent work, it relies on heavy doses of violence and the gross out factor to make the story work. Millar's not going for a deep story here, he's going for "OH MY GOD, SO HARDCORE" moments, and it shows. There's no real originality here, just a plethora of shocking moments designed to show just how big of a prick Nemesis is.

THIS!!!

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1170 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:31 am

Nemesis Review

I wanted to hate this. I really did. I'm tired of Millar's comics, tired of the fact that they're so overhyped, tired of them being so focused on concept instead of story, tired of them being so short, and tired of the fact that they're the comic equivalent of a James Cameron movie.

But I didn't hate this. It was... alright. The fight scene in the beginning was well done, with great action and violence depicted by McNiven. The story was easy to follow and the characters easy to pick up on, despite not having read the first issue. The events of the issue actually made me want to find out what happens next. It may not seem like high praise, and it's not, but it's more than I expected, and any comic that succeeds in making me want to read the next issue is a winner.

It had it's flaws. Of course, I understand that this is a comic book, but the concept of this still bugs me. "What if Batman was a prick?" or whatever it's supposed to be. Batman pulls off being this unbeatable superhero based on years and years worth of stories. It feels cheap to take this character, Nemesis, and basically just say "He's the ultimate bad ass, dude!" It reeks of gratuitous ninetiesness. All flash, no substance.

Why is Nemesis the ultimate badass? Why can he fight ninety-seven trained prison guards by himself? How is he able to capture the president? I guess this stuff doesn't really matter, because, as mentioned before, Millar comics are all about the concept. Nemesis is a badass. That's all you need to know I guess. I would like more.

The revelations about the Police Chief and his family all appear to be very interesting on the surface, but the fact is it is psuedo-characterization. It's like the Jerry Springer show version of character exposition. "Your daughter had an abortion! Your son is gay! I've been cheating on you with your partner, because you can't perform sexually! And that's not all! He's a midget!" (cue on-stage brawl). To the easily fooled, this may appear deep and interesting, but to me it just seems ho hum.

That being said, the art is good, and the story wasn't bad. It wasn't great, and it's horrendously overrated, but it was servicable. I may read the next issue.

4/10
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
We don't know for sure the twist won't be that they did it and liked it.

/markmillar'd

:lol:

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:51 am

Punchy wrote:
It's close enough to accurate, and was more concise than 'artificially inseminated the daughter with genetic material of her gay brother'.

I know you delight in being a pedant, but give it a rest for once, you've never been involved in the RG before, and your first contribution is to pick holes? These reviews aren't in the New York Review Of Books, they don't have to be 100% accurate and detailed.

Forced inbreeding is only one syllable less concise, but would have been far more accurate.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:59 am

Punchy wrote:
The 20somethings are a bunch of idiots though. And certainly the stuff in this issue was more sexually twisted than anything I could think of.

Clearly you don't listen to enough GG Allin. I anxiously await Millar's upcoming adaptation of "Caroline and Sue." "I'm fucking one, butt fucking two."

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 605 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:18 am

Jude Terror wrote:
Clearly you don't listen to enough GG Allin. I anxiously await Millar's upcoming adaptation of "Caroline and Sue." "I'm fucking one, butt fucking two."

GG would piss in Nemesis's mouth and then fuck him with Nemesis's mother's dick.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:36 am

Jude Terror wrote:
Forced inbreeding is only one syllable less concise, but would have been far more accurate.

You're one to talk about accuracy when it comes to this book! You thought Nemesis used to be a good guy!

skywatcher
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby skywatcher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:16 am

Punchy wrote:You're one to talk about accuracy when it comes to this book! You thought Nemesis used to be a good guy!

You mean he wasn't? Why does he wear an all-white costume , then?
Do you seriously mean to tell me that Mark Millar has as the main protagonist of this book a naughty villain? How very unwholesome!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:19 am

skywatcher wrote:You mean he wasn't? Why does he wear an all-white costume , then?
Do you seriously mean to tell me that Mark Millar has as the main protagonist of this book a naughty villain? How very unwholesome!

:roll:

skywatcher
Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby skywatcher » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:46 am

Punchy wrote:
:roll:

Is sarcasm beyond you? :?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand