Advertisement

Review Group Week 247 - SUPERBOY #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Re: Review Group Week 247 - SUPERBOY #1

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:14 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
I think your math is a little off.

not at all. I decided a long time ago that since the score was fucking arbitrary to begin with, I would just grade the two pieces on a five point scale and add. It makes it all easier for me to score the damn things.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

Advertisement

malcolm reynolds
Garbage Collector

Liked in: 0 post
Title: creep
Formerly: young neil

Postby malcolm reynolds » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:15 pm

I took his score as the art and story added together right?

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 238 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:19 pm

young neil wrote:I took his score as the art and story added together right?

yup, maybe I will add a + before the word art and a line under the art score to ease people who can't figure it out alone.
Pull list: Afterlife with Archie, Bodies, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Coffin Hill, Dead Boy Detectives, The Fade Out, The Goon, Harley Quinn, Hinterkind, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon,The Maxx Maximized, Miracleman, Ms. Marvel, Multiversity, Rasputin, Rocket Raccoon, Sandman: Overture, Silver Surfer, The Walking Dead, Wonder Woman

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 pm

In case I forget like I did last week,

Solid. Lot better than Lemire's other superhero book. Still don't like the supporting cast that much, but I'm not that picky. Besides, the use of Krypto, tactile telekenesis, and the Phantom Stranger make up for it.

I'll flesh it out the review later if I have time.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 659 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Phantom Stranger is very cool but he doesn't always work for me.

Here's hoping he does in this book (which I'll read when I get finally get home this weekend).

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:26 am

I just roll a d10 and subtract two.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:49 pm

I really wanted to like this. I loved essex county, the nobody and am still pissed I decided to trade wait on sweet tooth..but there was just something kind of off on this story. The art is only partially serviceable. but over all not very good at all. The Parasite looks amazing and is in full on monster mode but every one else looks like they have a thick layer of dough underneath their skin and the fight with parasite was pretty lame.

I like Lee fell in love with this character back in the pages of Johns Titans run and this character is that one, if he was hit in the head with a hammer repeatedly...dialogue is choppy and doesn't flow through pages in general. This book is a bit of a disappointment and the addition of Poison Ivy still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from what DC/Dini did in my previously favorite book.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:30 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:I really wanted to like this. I loved essex county, the nobody and am still pissed I decided to trade wait on sweet tooth..but there was just something kind of off on this story. The art is only partially serviceable. but over all not very good at all. The Parasite looks amazing and is in full on monster mode but every one else looks like they have a thick layer of dough underneath their skin and the fight with parasite was pretty lame.

I like Lee fell in love with this character back in the pages of Johns Titans run and this character is that one, if he was hit in the head with a hammer repeatedly...dialogue is choppy and doesn't flow through pages in general. This book is a bit of a disappointment and the addition of Poison Ivy still leaves a bad taste in my mouth from what DC/Dini did in my previously favorite book.

you are wrong on so many levels with this that I've decided your now the bottom in our relationship until you come to your senses.
:smt011

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

KING King Impulse
Teenage Wasteland

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The Prodigal Son
Formerly: King Impulse

Postby KING King Impulse » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Superboy #1

Writer: Jeff Lemire
Artist: Pier Gallo

SMALLVILLE ATTACKS: PART ONE

There are few people on this board that are as big a Superboy fan as I am, I'm not claiming to be the biggest fan, but I can't think of anyone else to be honest (cept maybe Vinny), so I anxiously awaited this. I first encountered Jeff Lemire in Dark Horse's Noir' anthology, then I read The Nobody, and have recently read the first volumes of both Essex County and Sweet Tooth, and he's definitely won me over. One thing that seems to be constant in Lemire's work is rural America. The protagonist in his Noir story runs a farm, as does Uncle Ken in Essex County. Sweet Tooth begins in a cabin in the woods and the main character in The Nobody just wants to be left alone in his motel room, searching for a cure, so who better to breath new life into a setting so iconic as Smallville than Mr. Lemire?

This issue is one of the finest first issues I've read in a long time. Lemire just gets it, he takes what Johns set up in Adventure Comics and just runs with it. I'm very happy he kept around the characters of Lori and Simon, the former being Kon's own Lana Lang, with the latter being a sort of Pete Ross with possible Lex tendencies. Setting up a strong supporting cast is vital in any comic book, but in a teen book especially, it's what can make or break you.

The comic isn't all set-up and talking though, Lemire isn't in Essex County any more, and he knows we need some action, which is provided plentifully by a hulking Parasite, which results in one of the best fights I've read all year, and a welcome return of Kon-El's Tactile Telekinesis, which I personally have missed greatly.

Pier Gallo is a name I haven't come across before, or if I have, he hasn't made much of an impression on me, but I like what I see. The art has a kind of Pete Woods/Freddie Williams II feel to it that's perfect for the book that works well in quiet scenes as well massive fights. My one art gripe is Kon's glasses which look too small and like he's never actually looking through them, they always seem to be right down his nose, although that could be to indicate he isn't as comfortable in his secret identity as Clark is, and it's a small gripe regardless.

On the whole, this is a very enjoyable teen book, which is high praise coming from myself, someone who considers teen superheroics a personal favourite type of comic. Very recommended.

Story: 9
Art: 8
Overall: 9
THE ENTHUSIAST: The Internet's Premier Hate Free Zone!

| Website | Twitter | Facebook |

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Up to me to go lower than a 5 then..

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:56 pm

Vicky Squid, your optimism and enthusiasm are inspiring. :lol:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:31 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Vicky Squid, your optimism and enthusiasm are inspiring. :lol:

Well somebody spilled water all over my Batman & Robin #16, I have to take it out on something! :x

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:49 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Up to me to go lower than a 5 then..

I am SO going to jerk off all over your place when we drink. :evil:

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:17 pm

starlord wrote:

I am SO going to jerk off all over your place when we drink. :evil:

I'll get the cream container. :-(

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I'll get the cream container. :-(

:shock: I'm not sure I can stock that much.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand