Advertisement

Review Group Week #253: THE SUICIDE FOREST #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Re: Review Group Week #253: THE SUICIDE FOREST #1

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:35 pm

Heh. :)
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Advertisement

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Oh hey Greg, if you want, you can borrow my copy of Suicide Forest #1, in case you haven't been able to find a copy. :drunk
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:Oh hey Greg, if you want, you can borrow my copy of Suicide Forest #1, in case you haven't been able to find a copy. :drunk

:lol:

You ass.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:58 am

The Suicide Forest #1 - Untitled - Torres and Hernandez

Story - Aokigihara Forest is one of those weird phenomenons which has inspired quite a few creators, I first came across the 'Suicide Forest' in Mark Waid's underrated Boom! Studios book 'The Unknown', and it really freaks me out. This comic only added to that! Thanks Silver Phoenix, no sleep for me tonight!

Aokigihara is a forest on the outskirts of Tokyo, where loads and loads of people go to commit suicide, and nobody really knows why. It's really weird, and is the perfect setting for a horror story.

At first it was weird to see a Western, non-Manga comic set in Japan, I almost tried to read it backwards! No, not really, I'm not a retard, but still, Japan is a very interesting country, so it's surprising so few American-format comics have gone there (apart from when Wolverine goes there to fuck up some ninjas). Wisely, Torres casts his main character as a westerner too, so the audience are Gaijin, and so is their protagonist. It's a shame that Alan is a bit of a dick, but then again, it looks like he'll be getting his comeuppance soon enough, so we have to see why he deserves to be haunted the fuck out of by his dead girlfriend.

The other main character is Ryoko, a park-keeper for the Suicide Forest, who has a weird connection to the forest, and like, magical powers. I find it weird that Torres went straight for the mystical explanation in #1, when maybe some more ambiguity could have been left, but hey, this is one of the few actually unsettling and creepy horror comics I've read, so he knows better than me.

Overall, Suicide Forest is a great comic, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a strong horror tale, and it feels like the writer really knows his onions about Japan and Japanese culture, if you like stuff like The Ring and The Grudge, this could be up your street, let's just hope we don't get a crappy Hollywood remake!

Art - Don't let the kind of crappy cover fool you, Gabriel Hernandez's art here is excellent, very creepy, and it adds to the sense of unease you feel, even before the horror kicks off. Reminiscent of a bit of Templesmith, and a bit of Sienkewicz, it probably wouldn't work on many other titles, but for this one? Yeah, excellent.

Best Line - 'Now you know that all those old tales are true'

8/10

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:40 pm

buy anabolic wrote:Straight to the point and well written! Why can’t everyone else be like this?

I dunno, not enough mail-order steroids?

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand