Tuesday, May 3, 2016 • Evening Edition • "In this issue: an Outhouser will DIE!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Review Group Week #258: The Spirit #10

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:16 am

I think we should change the name of the review group to "Chris Claremont's Official X-Men Forever Review Group."

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:27 am

Jude Terror wrote:I think we should change the name of the review group to "Chris Claremont's Official X-Men Forever Review Group."

If we get a response back from him, I'd be amicable to the one week change. We need to start selling our naming rights of the forums and prominent threads to raise some revenue for the site.

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:20 am

Victorious Squid wrote:Who wants to guess next week's book?

Fantastic Four #587
or
Zombies vs Robots #0

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 am

Did no one read their issue yet?! It was good fun!

Royal Nonesuch

Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:43 am

Greg wrote:Did no one read their issue yet?! It was good fun!

No they didn't, because they're jerks!! :x

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
No they didn't, because they're jerks!! :x

Dammit, Royal, can you please tell me why you keep saying that?!?!?!? :-(

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am

I read it last night, but it got lost in the shuffle of the rest of the books. I vaguely remember enjoying it, though.

Is this the final issue of the series?

Greg

Rain Partier

Postby Greg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:47 am

BlueStreak wrote:I read it last night, but it got lost in the shuffle of the rest of the books. I vaguely remember enjoying it, though.

Is this the final issue of the series?

No, not at all.

Royal Nonesuch

Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:49 am

Greg wrote:
Dammit, Royal, can you please tell me why you keep saying that?!?!?!? :-(

Ask the Review Group. They're a bunch of jerks!! :x

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 am

Zero wrote:
Fantastic Four #587
or
Zombies vs Robots #0

Yes! Last minute talks spared the Review Group from a potential disaster.

FF#587!

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 am

I give it less than an hour before Punchy starts on about his beloved Hicklash.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

Zero wrote:I give it less than an hour before Punchy starts on about his beloved Hicklash.

The Hicklash doesn't apply as much to FF as it does to SHIELD, in fact, people seem to be liking it more as all his subplots come together.

But the Hicklash is still the meme phenomenon sweeping the webs!

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 am

Three minutes.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Standalone issues are rare today. It seems that every story has to be a six- or twelve-issue arc, filled with double-page spreads and overly long, wordless action scenes. So I find it very refreshing when a writer is able to tell a complete story in 22 pages or less, and fill each page with a good mix of dialogue and action.

David Hine demonstrates that he’s a sharp, efficient storyteller in SPIRIT #10, giving us a fast-paced, one-and-done story entitled “Crime and Punishment.” Hine’s story focuses on the life of Roscoe Kalashnikov, a small-time thief who suffers from paranoid hallucinations. As a child, Roscoe was locked in a dank, dark basement infested with cockroaches that would crawl all over his shivering body. Now, as an adult, Roscoe is convinced that certain people in New York are giant humanoid roaches that only he can see. When he stumbles upon a gun with a silencer, he decides that he must act as an exterminator and shoot down the oversized roach in his neighborhood, an old woman that runs a pawnshop. From there, the story only gets crazier.

I like this issue for a couple of reasons. First, I like the fact that, in a few short pages, Hine introduces us to Roscoe, gives us his backstory, and tells an entertaining, little crime yarn. Second, I like the retro feel that Hine gives this book. As I was flipping through the pages, I kept thinking about the old Cornell Woolrich and Jim Thompson stories that commonly featured demented psychopaths. Roscoe is the kind of freaky madman that you’d find in classic pulp fiction: Men who are unhinged and violent and yet somehow, on a certain level, sympathetic.

Moritat’s art is perfect for this story and book. He captures the spirit (pun intended) of Eisner’s work and, at the same time, produces some very stylized, original-looking illustrations. I love his heavy, rough line work. It makes everything look older, creepier, and more decrepit.

SPIRIT #10 is by no means a mind-blowing book. But it is a solid page-turner that captures and celebrates old-time storytelling in both comics and magazines.

STORY: 8/10
ART: 8/10
OVERALL: 8/10

Postby ****** » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Two shops. Both sold out of Spirit. Illegal download or bust.

Also, due to Vicky Squid being a jerk I apparently have just switched to singles on Fantastic Four and purchased 579-586 to catch up.

leave a comment with facebook