Advertisement

Review Group Week #261: Heroes for Hire #3

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #261: Heroes for Hire #3

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:18 am

Punchy wrote:
Gah, I was only joking in the first place, how did this become so serious?

Advertisement

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:36 pm

'supes' is an amlah6 approved derogatory term when used in reference to super-heroes. Also acceptable are spandex and cape & tights.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 pm

So this comic was kind of good but in the end not very satisfying. It's like ordering something off a menu that just sounds amazing but once it comes to the table it's nothing like you imagined it. I felt that's how this issue set up things were kind of interesting but there wasn't a whole lot to happen next. What bothered me the most was Iron fist not landing every blow and even getting a kick to the chin. The best martial artist in the "universe" shouldn't have to ever throw a punch.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:29 pm

This book is pretty good. It has a pretty good story, pretty good action, and pretty good art. I liked the cheesy opening line, "Hero, are you for hire?" And I loved the bustling appearances of so many cool but underappreciated Marvel characters: Paladin, Moon Knight, and Iron Fist.

But there is no emotional hook for me in this book. At no point does it go from mildly entertaining to a must-read. This is the kind of book that I would pick up on an impulse, meaning when the cover is extra cool and I have a few extra bucks to spare. It's a good read, in other words, but hardly an essential one.

STORY: 7
ART: 6.5
OVERALL: 6.75

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:55 pm

Johann Snow wrote:'supes' is an amlah6 approved derogatory term when used in reference to super-heroes. Also acceptable are spandex and cape & tights.

:smt023 You're my #1 goto source for new comic book slang to make the kids crazy with envy.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:47 pm

Punchy wrote:
Gah, I was only joking in the first place, how did this become so serious?

This is the Review Group where we take everything seriously! :x

:P :wink:

Thank you Troy for the sig

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:13 pm

Johann Snow wrote:Has GHERU selected the follow up to the rip roaring good time that was Robocop yet?

:lol:
Hellblazer #276
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm

I've shockingly never read Hellblazer.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm

I've enjoyed the first three issues of this new Heroes for Hire book enough, but this was somehow the least satisfying. There just wasn't as much to get hooked into this time around. I like that Paladin is looking for the truth about where Misty is, but I do wish we could have gotten to the recruitment of Danny Rand into the effort more quickly (in fact, as of the end of this issue, it hasn't been completed yet). The pace slowed down a little here, but it wasn't as interesting as it could have been. It's still a good story overall, and I like the art quite a bit.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 515 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

BlueStreak wrote:I've shockingly never read Hellblazer.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Constantine- ... 046&sr=8-1

Click on the Add to Cart button and fuckin' buy it. When you get it, read the whole damn thing in one go. You'll thank me later.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 307 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 am

I've read the Jamie Delano stuff and loved it. Mike Carey was hit and miss for me though.

Apparently Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis are supposed to be really good though?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 am

Heroes For Hire #3 - 'Trace Elements' - Abnett, Lanning, Walker, Hennessy and Ramos

Story - Throughout their exemplary tenure on Marvel's Cosmic Books, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (DnA) have, alongside writing kick-ass epic space operas, made it their mission to revitalise and revamp as many previously lame space characters as possible. Losers like Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Mantis and Jack Flag were all turned into something worth reading (although much of the work with Jack Flag was done by Warren Ellis in Thunderbolts, it was still awesome that DnA picked him up in such a surprising way. Even Nova (who was always pretty cool) was improved under the pen of DnA. But now, this dynamic duo have been brought crashing down to Earth, and seem to have taken to making street-level characters awesome just as they did in Space.

Heroes For Hire is a book rooted in the 1970s, the very concept comes from Luke Cage, Power Man, possibly the most 70s thing ever, but the whole book is full of classic 1970s Marvel characters, from bigger guns like Iron Fist, Falcon and Ghost Rider, to minnows like Misty Knight and Satana. The 1970s was a golden (although technically Bronze) period for Marvel, with so many awesome concepts and characters being thought up, and it is only recently that the wheel of nostalgia has turned to them, rather than the 60s. It's great to see these characters who in today's market don't really have the pull to merit their own solo series have a book to call their home. Heroes For Hire under DnA has become a one-stop shop for anyone less than a B-Lister, and every issue promises something different, a done in one, almost Marvel Team-Up style jaunt.

But of course, that sort of thing doesn't really cut the mustard today, and DnA have sensibly framed the various team-ups and adventures with an ongoing story. You see, whilst our heroes may think H4H is being run by Misty Knight, it isn't, she's been kidnapped and is being controlled by the Puppet Master. The reasonings behind why exactly Puppet Master is doing this are very interesting, and Paladin's attempts to find out why are the connective tissue that holds Heroes For Hire together. They provide the reasonings for why Moon Knight fights a Dinosaur, and however awesome that is, it does need an explanation.

One of the other things I've liked about this series so far is how it puts classic Marvel Universe elements, right next to real world criminal activities. So, for example, the first issue had an Atlantean Mafia working in the states, and this issue featured the sexual trafficking of women from the Savage Land. Some readers may find this melding together of the fantastic and the horribly real a bit unsettling, and maybe that it's making light of serious issues, but for me, it's an inspired idea, and serves to enhance the Marvel Universe, and really reinforce it's claims to be more realistic than other superhero universes. In a world where Daredevil rubs shoulders with the Silver Surfer, this makes perfect sense, and is a middle-ground between two schools of superhero thought that hasn't really been explored.

Plus it means we get to see normally uber-serious characters like Moon Knight fight a Velociraptor, which as previously noted, was awesome. This particular issue was mostly made up of two fight scenes, first of all the aforementioned Moon Knight/Dino, and also Paladin Versus Iron Fist. One of these is standalone, the other is part of a larger story, and that's this book's main strength, each issue will give you something fresh, but it's all part of a bigger picture, and in the current market, most books struggle to do even one of those things.

Art - Brad Walker is an artist I've liked since he drew a fun Jimmy Olsen story for Kurt Busiek during his run on Superman (it was one of the few tolerable elements of Countdown), and I also very much enjoyed his work with DnA on Guardians Of The Galaxy, where he and Wes Craig alternated issues during the book's strongest period. His style doesn't appear to be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it, he can draw fight scenes well, and he can do facial expressions. What more could you ask? He draws a mean dinosaur too.

Best Line - 'Making a note here ... "sometimes Moon Knight watches the Flintstones"...' It's that juxtaposition of the Marvel Universe and the actual Universe in microcosm.

8/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:50 am

Hellblazer has been very good lately, here's my review of the last issue:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/66/12069-hellblazer-275-review.html

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 am

Excellent review Punchy. Totally agree with that.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:11 pm

First time I've seen the thread! So no review for me.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand