Advertisement

Review Group Week #262: Hellblazer #276

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Review Group Week #262: Hellblazer #276

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 pm

Viktor Ian Skwydde wrote:
You and Stephen Day use the same excuses repeatedly. You're always too busy to read a 20 page book that's mostly pictures, he always goes to a crap LCS. :smt011

I'm too busy to go to my LCS. I am working 7 days a week right now.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I'm too busy to go to my LCS. I am working 7 days a week right now.

Real-working, or school-working?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 369 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Johann Snow wrote:
Shady characters the both of them.

Would this be the point where I tell you two to screw off and become a full fledged member of the review group? :P

Thank you Troy for the sig

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
Would this be the point where I tell you two to screw off and become a full fledged member of the review group? :P

On fight club weeks, only those who post reviews that week are recognized combatants.

The rest are collateral damage.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:42 pm

On fight club weeks, only those who post reviews that week are recognized combatants.

The rest are collateral damage.

OK fine. :roll:

I didn't read Hellblazer this month, but I figure its good.

7 out of 10

Now that I've done that, when and where can I punch you in the face? :x

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
OK fine. :roll:

I didn't read Hellblazer this month, but I figure its good.

7 out of 10

Now that I've done that, when and where can I punch you in the face? :x

Not at your POS comic shop, I'll tell you that for much.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Not at your POS comic shop, I'll tell you that for much.

Its the only one I have though. :cry:
Last edited by Stephen Day on Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #262: Hellblazer #276

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:06 pm

I will live blog my review this week.

Page 1: It appears as if Constantine has married Jubilee. Watch out, John! She's a vampire.

Page 2: I didn't think you were still allowed to smoke. Good thing they're flying Cheap Jet.

Page 3: Druids automatically bump the final score up one.

Page 4: That douche beard knocks the score down by two.

Page 5: There are a lot of incomplete sentences on this page.

Page 6: That page just looks crappy.

Page 7: No John, you don't have a million quid to spare. You already spent it on your whore bride.

Page 8: I really don't like the way Bisley draws faces.

Page 9: More ugly faces. At least one on this page is supposed to be deliberate.

Page 11-12: So, Constantine is setting this dude up for something...

Page 15: I picked up a girl using that line once. The douche beard guy just didn't say it right.

Page 17: What the fuck?! I thought Constantine was supposed to be the good guy.

Page 19: Constantine is a prick.

Page 20-22: A big fucking prick.

So apparently DC condones a book that features protagonists killing a person in cold blood for the audacity of purchasing something legally. And the art was mediocre too.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Real-working, or school-working?

Well, it's hard to distinguish between them. I teach 160 students, so that's real working. But I also have to get a major conference paper ready for next month and, however you want to characterize that project, it's completely irritating. Right now, I'm writing about clustered data. I want to use the subhead: Clusterfucked Data and the Unfucking Clustering Option.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Well, it's hard to distinguish between them. I teach 160 students, so that's real working. But I also have to get a major conference paper ready for next month and, however you want to characterize that project, it's completely irritating. Right now, I'm writing about clustered data. I want to use the subhead: Clusterfucked Data and the Unfucking Clustering Option.

:lol: That does sound like a pain in the ass.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:46 am

Hellblazer #276 - 'High-Frequency Man' - Milligan and Bisley

Story - In my review of the last issue of Hellblazer for this very site's front page, I discussed the idea of long-established comics characters getting married, and how for some, the progression works, Reed Richards and Sue Storm getting married made sense, for example. But I felt that for others, such as Superman and Spider-Man, marriage wasn't the right choice, and robbed the character's of some of their fundamental natures. Which camp would John Constantine fall into? Would his marriage to Epiphany Greaves change him for the better? Or for the worse? It's not a case of 'In Sickness and In Health', it's an either/or.

Now, one issue isn't really enough to judge, but on the basis of this issue, the marriage has managed the difficult feat of changing the character of Constantine, but not neutering him, not robbing him of his Constantininess. He's still very much the same character, and he still does very bad things.

One of the things I've liked best about Peter Milligan's run on Hellblazer is how he's sort of returned to the character's politically charged 80s roots, and put Hellblazer into various situations which relate to modern society (albeit with magic thrown in). This month, the book tackles the Financial Crisis, in it's own small way, tying in ancient Druids with an unscrupulous banker trying to get Constantine out of his flat so he can gentrify the area. The London John Constantine originally lived in is now gone, and it's interesting to see how Constantine tries to maintain his grotty roots. The way he treats the Financier may be overly harsh, but that's just who Constantine is. In current UK society, a spot of 'Banker Bashing' is all the rage, and it was cathartic to see John dispatch one of the people who's reckless, feckless thinking led us all up shit creek. It's brilliant what this book can get away with really. (I also loved the idea that having your house be haunted would actually drive the price up these days, a nice bit of social commentary).

Overall, this was only a fairly average done-in-one issue of Hellblazer, not a patch on some of the other stories Milligan has been writing, but it does a good job of telling a complete story in one issue, and also of giving us a first glimpse of the new world of married John Constantine... it's pretty much the same as the old world.

Art - Simon Bisley has been doing issues here and there throughout Milligan's run (as well as covers), and I think his grimy style is perfect for the book. It may be exaggerated at points, like when John and Epiphany are in the world's smallest bath, but when he unleashes the grotesquerie of what happens to Marcus Molloy, there's nobody better.

Best Line - 'Okay, at twelve, I met the Devil. At Fifteen I fucked my first Succubus' And this is our hero!

7/10

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 am

Next week's pick:

Avengers #10

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:07 am

Gross. Can we do back issues of XMF instead?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:54 am

Punchy wrote:7/10

Punchy didn't like it either.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 226 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:43 pm

G-ddammit!
just once, I'd like a book I pick to be .. you know ... good, and I thought this was a guanteed win.

and I was wrong

As an aside, I love Hellblazer, I fucking love this series, my personal comic book gola used to be to have every issue of Hellblazer in the single issue format - and I achieved that goal a little over a year ago. Yes, I have read all 267 issues of this book, and #276 has shot up to the top 3 of the worst issues of the whole series and definitely the worst of Milligan's otherwise superb run.

This issue read as if it was going to be a starting point for morons by morons. Nothing about the writing showed any kind of inspiration at all, and the plot was juvenile at best and malicious at worst. Basically John killed a man for no reason. He never tried to reason with him, he never tried to solve the problem, all he did was prove to himself and his wife that he really is a bad a person as he claims to be, and although I do not have perfect memory of the whole series, I cannot think of any thing else he has done that is an inexcusable as his actions in this issue.

Yes, John is an ass but usually he is not an evil ass.

At least we had Simon Bisley as the artist, so there was a bright side

Story - 2
Art - 9
Overall - 5.5

sorry guys :cry:
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand