Advertisement

Review Group Week #265: Ultimate Spider-Man #155

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #265: Ultimate Spider-Man #155

Postby Starlord » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Ultimate Spider-Man #155

This issue has been like all the others since that big Magneto event a couple years ago. It's slow, pointless and plots that are prone to wander like an escaped Alzhiemers patient in the middle of a big city. I loved this series up until that stupid "event". This really was the title that Bendis had every right to stand up and take a bow for.

Sadly when New York was given a huge bath, Bendis threw out the baby with the bath water. This issue was a perfect example of the sub-par performance from everyone involved. This book is probably the one I'm most dissappointed in.

Story:5
Art: 3
My Score: 4.55

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:34 am

Brian, you didn't like the art? I know that masturbation causes blindness. Maybe you need to keep hands off for a while.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:55 am

If you are a longtime fan of Spidey, then you should dig ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #155. Yes, it is very dialogue heavy and, yes, it has little-to-no action. But if you look at some of the old ASM issues, there were a number of them that concentrated on Peter and the best supporting cast in comics. Think back to ASM #50, #87, or #96. Not a lot of action in those issues, but a heck of a lot of important character and relationship moments. It's the same thing here in USM #155. In particular, the interaction between Pete and J.J.J. is excellent. It reminded me of all the massive history between these characters and I loved every panel.

I stopped reading USM during the ULTIMATUM event. I hate when books are rebooted and renumbered and so on. But based on this ish, I might actually read USM and see where this next event takes us.

STORY: 8
ART: 8
OVERALL: 8

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:42 am

Eli Katz wrote:Brian, you didn't like the art? I know that masturbation causes blindness. Maybe you need to keep hands off for a while.

I think it's safe to say most people in this group knew the score they were giving before (and if) they read the book.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:32 am

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #155 - 'Death Of Spider-Man: Prelude' - Bendis, Samnee & Ponsor

Story - Marvel have been trumpeting the upcoming 'Death Of Ultimate Spider-Man' on the covers of the last 3 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, but for the life of me, I couldn't tell you how the events of any of these comics are building up to something as big as this, all we've basically had is a team-up with Iron Man and the Black Cat, the return of Mysterio and the Zodiac Key. It's all very much business as usual for Ultimate Spidey, so much so that it almost seems stupid of Marvel to plaster a big warning sign on the covers, if they hadn't, when Spider-Man dies, it would actually be a massive surprise, which is something sorely missing in modern comics, and is one of the things the Ultimate line should be doing more of.

However, even if this comic wasn't labelled with Death, I think this issue may have aroused some suspicions, simply because things are actually going well for Spider-Man, and as we all know, if nothing bad happens to Spider-Man for a while, something catastrophic will happen, as soon as he's happy, God or a Goblin comes down and crushes him.

This issue was like a lot of my favourite USM issues, it wasn't a big action issue, it was about the characters, it was about conversation, it was a calm before the storm. The main chunk of this particular issue was the relationship between Peter Parker and J Jonah Jameson, who in the aftermath of the recent Chameleon arc, now knows that Peter is Spider-Man. The scene is brilliant, really illustrating the differences between this world and the world of the regular Spider-Man. JJJ is Spidey's longest-serving nemesis, but now he's supportive of Peter, giving him a regular job that he won't be fired from for doing Spider-business, and paying for his college. So far, so good.

Of course, there is a bit of action in this issue, as Spider-Man and Kitty Pryde/The Shroud take out what I assume are a group of Ultimate Rocket Racers, after this brief interlude of pesky action, Kitty returns, which is more good news, but does however provide my only problem with this issue, which is how Bendis writes out the character of Kong. Kong has been part of the book since issue one, and his growth from Bully to actually becoming friends with Peter has been a nice running subplot, to have him disposed of as a chicken who ran away to Wisconsin rubs me the wrong way. Hopefully he'll return, but without that stupid Mohawk.

The final scene is Peter Parker's birthday party, which he celebrates with all his "Amazing Friends", as well as Aunt May, MJ, Gwen, and who I assume is Sue Storm and Ben Grimm. He even gets some awesome new web-shooters, and kisses MJ, who agrees to get back together (They DO NOT have sex, don't believe some other misguided, sex-crazed reviewers).

So yeah, everything looks peachy for Ultimate Spider-Man, new (old) girlfriend, new job, new web-shooters, the return of his friend Kitty, and the trust and admiration of society. Yep, peachy. Time for him to die!

It's just a pity Marvel had to ruin it by advertising it really.

This was another solid issue of Ultimate Spider-Man, after over 150 issues, we pretty much now what to expect, the level of quality has remained remarkably consistent really, and Bendis still manages to surprise us. I just hope the equilibrium of the series isn't upset by the upcoming event, much like Ultimatum did.

Art - Chris Samnee is one of my favourite artists at the moment, and someone who I foresee big things for. I loved his work on DC's "The Mighty" and his sketchblog is brilliant. He does good work here, it's probably a bit more traditional than most artists who have graced these hallowed pages, but it works, his facial expressions are particularly good. His work here actually reminded me of John Romita's work on the 616 Spider-Man, particularly his Mary-Jane. I also liked how he snuck in Lockheed onto Kitty's hoody. Good stuff, here's hoping he gets to do more high-profile Marvel stuff.

Best Line - 'What am I walking into? (Swinging into....)'

8/10

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 735 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:12 am

Eli Katz - the newest Honourary British Teen? :shock:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:02 am

Always Right wrote:
I think it's safe to say most people in this group knew the score they were giving before (and if) they read the book.

You may think it's safe to say that, but in this case it would be a false statement. Don't presume to know what I'm going to say or do before I do it. I have always liked Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and have publicly praised him several times for it. It's the only place where his lame ass dialogue acutally works.

And sorry, Eli, but the art just didn't do anything for me. I miss Bagley. :-(

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 am

I still haven't decided on a score.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:04 am

what's this weeks book?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:06 am

Morning Glories

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 am

BlueStreak wrote:Morning Glories

I think I've smoked that before... :smt017

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:34 am

starlord wrote:
You may think it's safe to say that, but in this case it would be a false statement. Don't presume to know what I'm going to say or do before I do it. I have always liked Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and have publicly praised him several times for it. It's the only place where his lame ass dialogue acutally works.

Bagley is back next issue.

Immonen is the best artist to work on the book anyway.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:37 am

starlord wrote:

I'm in the same boat here. I thought this was the worst issue since the relaunch in terms of both art and plot, but overall USM is a book I enjoy most months. I'm of the opposite opinion about Bagley though, I'd much prefer any of the book's other past artists.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Jude Terror wrote:Eli Katz - the newest Honourary British Teen? :shock:

Jolly good.

Mammon, Fool Breaker
Peanut

Liked in: 0 post
Title: #1 Aquafan

Postby Mammon, Fool Breaker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Eli Katz wrote:You don't even bother reading the books, do you?

I've lost any interest in reading Marvel comics. None of them have enough Galactus.

I also prefer my Heroes to be Heroic, not a big fan of Anti-heroes like Wolverine...

Hal Jordan is a manly man, Logan is a 5-star #1 loser!
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'

Long live Hal Jordan, the greatest Green Lantern of them all.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand