Advertisement

Review Group Week #265: Ultimate Spider-Man #155

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Re: Review Group Week #265: Ultimate Spider-Man #155

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:25 pm

I thought Immonen's work on USM was flawless.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Did not see it, but generally everyone likes Immonen more than I do. Which isn't to say I don't like his work.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Immonen is the best artist to have worked on New Avengers as well, I think he really clicks well with Bendis.

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Punchy wrote:Immonen is the best artist to have worked on New Avengers as well, I think he really clicks well with Bendis.

Yu was a better fit on the book while he was on it.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 pm

Looking forward to S.P.A.C.E. small press comics expo this weekend but I was wondering where some names I usually see were, turns out some people who set up there regularly did C2E2 this year instead, which makes sense.

Still a lot of good talented people though:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 133 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Couldn't get my hands on a copy. :?

Postby ****** » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:16 pm

doombug wrote:Couldn't get my hands on a copy. :?

Define "copy"?

I've had a "copy" since Thursday.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:23 pm

UCUSM #155

Sporting one of the most misleading covers of all time, this book's true contents just seemed to meander all over the place in a ham-fisted display of giving Peter Parker everything he's ever wanted before--and we all know it's coming--pulling out the rug from under him next issue most likely. Maybe even killing him, I dunno. Everybody's doing it to boost sales these days it seems, from Brubaker to Hickman, and Bendis seems ready to follow suit. I admit one of my favorite things about the old Ultimate Spider-Man book was his rogue's gallery reinvented, so all of this internal monologue and talking left much to be desired as far as I'm concerned. There were some nice bits in JJJ talk but I wouldn't want to read a whole comic about it--the 10 or so pages were more than enough.

On to the art. I liked Samnee's backgrounds and layouts for the most part but not his Peter Parker or some of the more cartoon-y extras. That was Bobby Drake? From Ultimate X-Men? Peter is exaggerated as so scrawny and small of frame when out of costume that he doesn't look much older than Franklin or Valeria in 616 FF. It's done for effect, okay but I would say it's overdone for effect here. The linework in some of the faces seems heavy as well.

Next time I'd ask Marvel not to tease the Sinister Six on the cover and then give me four morons on roller-blades on the inside. Subtract a point from what would have been my score for that, making this a:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Frank Einstein wrote:
Define "copy"?

I've had a "copy" since Thursday.

:smt013 PM me would you? I'm having trouble with the "sources" I usually use to stay with the review group.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Ultimate spiderman #155

I liked this issue, a lot. I haven't read the book since the mysterio arc sadly and it's great to return to see how Peter and his world haven't really changed too much. I think this is Bendis at his best, especially how he writes the scene between Peter and Jonah. There really is a lot to like about this issue.

I really hope they don't kill Peter, but with the way they ended it here it seems like it will really happen. Also who the hell is the blond at the end? Not Gwen, the other one?

Over all: 8

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:07 am

doombug wrote:Ultimate spiderman #155

I liked this issue, a lot. I haven't read the book since the mysterio arc sadly and it's great to return to see how Peter and his world haven't really changed too much. I think this is Bendis at his best, especially how he writes the scene between Peter and Jonah. There really is a lot to like about this issue.

I really hope they don't kill Peter, but with the way they ended it here it seems like it will really happen. Also who the hell is the blond at the end? Not Gwen, the other one?

Over all: 8

Sue Storm

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 am

OK, time to finally get to this. First off, the cover truly is misleading as we got no Sinister Six anywhere. The last page of #154 that hyped this cover truly did make it seem like the Sinister Six would appear.....I'd have even been cool with a flashback. We didn't get anything though.

The moment of the book definitely goes to he conversation with J Jonah Jameson. This version seems to be a more toned down, rational version of his 616 character that is able to admit when he's wrong. We've seen this side in 616 Jonah before but mostly in a rare private thought. This direction holds a ton of potential for the future, then I remember that this is leading up to a Death of Spider-Man event =/

That's what the rest of the issue feels like too. The way Peter reconciled with Kitty Pryde after effortlessly schooling Ultimate Rocker Racer, met up with everyone for a birthday party and professing his love for Kitty feels like everything is falling into place right before he bites the big one. While Bendis sometimes lets too much dialog choke up a book this was far from the case here and the book most definitely benefited from all these character moments.

Earlier in this RG thread I also see a debate has arisen that MJ and Pete were making babies. Don't see enough about that and I reckon a lot of you guys are trying to relate this moment with the Teen Titans Infinite Crisis special where Superboy banged Wonder Girl and died a week later in IC #6. The way he made a big deal about trying to win her back made it pretty clear that they were commenting about the kiss and where that stands between them. The day The Great One tries to ape a Geoff Johns moment is the day the world ends. Utter blasphemy.

Now onto the art. I liked Samnee's art in the Siege: Embedded mini and feel he stepped up further here. His art is pleasant on the eyes and while I had no problem with LaFuente like others here did it was refreshing not to see anime eyes in the book. The way I feel about Bagley's return next however is mixed. He left the book doing some pretty sweet work in the Warriors arc but I could not get into his recent DC stuff at all. We'll see if a return to this title changes my opinion.

Overall the book felt like it was tying all loose ends into one happy setting for Peter Parker, who has been to hell and back and left somewhere in-between for the entire Ultimate Spider-Man book. Either this will lead up to a Big-Time era for the character or Marvel truly is going to off the character which goes hand-in-hand with the feeling of closure I've gotten. Whatever the case, it's been a hell of a #155 issue ride with many highs and lows that I've enjoyed for over 10 years.

My score:
Story: 8.5
Art: 7.5
Overall: 8.0
Last edited by fieldy snuts on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:37 am

When I started typing that I thought it'd barely crack 2 short paragraphs lol

Postby ****** » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Ultimate Spider-Man #155

I liked this. I liked this a lot. It made me wish I hadn't dropped the book 50 or so issues ago. If Chris Samnee were the regular artist I'd walk down the street to the closest LCS and start a pull list so that I could get this day of release every month. The words were okay too.

Story: 8
Art: 10
Overall: 9

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:59 am

Supes-loving bastards! :smt013

How many times are you going to pay to read the same thing over and over?

(although the thing with JJJ was kinda novel)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand