Advertisement

Review Group Week #269: Brightest Day #23

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Review Group Week #269: Brightest Day #23

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

Punchy wrote:
I agree with you. I don't know why you seemed to be trying to turn this into an argument.

I never was. Read back and see. Even my first post on it was a "it's fine with me" post, you misunderstood it in your haste to be antagonistic.

Advertisement

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:29 am

Jerks!! :x
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:30 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I never was. Read back and see. Even my first post on it was a "it's fine with me" post, you misunderstood it in your haste to be antagonistic.

You were posting cryptic bullshit and referred to what I said as a 'nostalgic delusion'.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:Jerks!! :x

A pure and upright mind does not fear slander. Regardless of how others malign us, it is merely another chance to improve one's own character. I am grateful to you for giving me a further opportunity to cultivate myself.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 am

Punchy wrote:
You were posting cryptic bullshit and referred to what I said as a 'nostalgic delusion'.

Only those who do not compete can see clearly. When there is fighting, there is confusion. When there is confusion, there is error. And when there is error, there is failure.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am

ITT Squid =Image

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am

Punchy wrote:
Who knows, he's being a drama queen.

REALLY?!?! That comment from YOU!?!?!?! I've got more butch in my little finger than you've got in your little pecker.

I am NOT a Drama Queen (But if I was it would be in capitals pal!!!)

*storms out slamming door dramatically)*

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:00 am

starlord wrote:ITT Squid =Image

RIP Squid. Sucks that you died of autoerotic asphyxiation with two hookers in Thailand.

:-(

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:03 am

BlueStreak wrote:
RIP Squid. Sucks that you died of autoerotic asphyxiation with two hookers in Thailand.

:-(

I could think of worse ways to go.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:58 am

i don't want to write a review because I read and I strongly disliked it. :?

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 pm

So yeah I just read this issue. And then I read it again. Twice I read this, with the intention of posting a fair review.

But I'm still going to look biased because I really didn't like this.

First problem IMO was the fact that the Earth revolting didn't really seem to mean much. I mean we have a few pages of heroes helping people. They seem relatively unharmed and ok with the situation. I mean apparently every major city in Earth is under attack, but there's no sense of urgency. We're told this, and see snippets, but there's nothing to identify with.

Then there's the weird thing with the forest being protected. "Let us in" say the people outside "Let us out" say the people inside. It just seems so mundane and just happening.

It just feels so by the numbers and adequate rather than a good story. I mean what the hell is that giant mud monster about? He's a cypher if you ever saw one. Then some elemental people appear. "Every candle and volcano.. is connected" apparently. So we get a fire/earth/water/air elemental. I mean what is interesting about that?

This issue is incomprehensible, doesn't say anything, and just serves a purpose to get someone else back into the DCU. The whole premise of this book is explaining why 12 people are suddenly back in the DCU. Stop bringing everyone back!

1.5 out of 10.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 517 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:45 pm

starlord wrote:
REALLY?!?! That comment from YOU!?!?!?! I've got more butch in my little finger than you've got in your little pecker.

I think he meant he has his little finger in Butch?
Image Image Image ImageImage

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:36 pm

doombug wrote:i don't want to write a review because I read and I strongly disliked it. :?

Starlord's feelings are already hurt, there's no point in not expressing your anti-DC agenda now.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Brightest Day #23

I read a few disappointing issues of Blackest Night and other than T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents pretty much checked out of the DCU after that, so I decided to read at least the wiki entry on Brightest Day before reading this so I'd have a rudimentary idea of what was going on. What I found there looks a bit like a list of various alterations that, along with the resurrections themselves, the writers or editors wished to get done in story-form:
Brightest Day #7 revealed that the 12 resurrected must complete an individual assignment given to them by the White Lantern Entity. If they are successful, their life will be fully returned.

Professor Zoom helped release Barry Allen from the Speed Force. (Mentioned in The Flash: Rebirth #4)
Jade balanced the darkness. (Shown in Justice League of America #48)
Osiris freed Isis, the goddess of nature. (Shown in Titans #32)
Maxwell Lord stopped Magog from bringing about the events seen in Kingdom Come. (Shown in Justice League: Generation Lost #13)
Hawkgirl prevented Hath-Set from killing Hawkman. (Shown in Brightest Day #18)
Hawkman closed the dimensional gateway between Hawkworld and Earth. (Shown in Brightest Day #18)
Aquaman already enlisted the new Aqualad to his side before the "others" do. (Shown in Brightest Day #20)
Martian Manhunter burned down the Martian forest, killed D'Kay D'razz and chose to devote himself to the protection of Earth. (Shown in Brightest Day #21)
Jason Rusch and Ronnie Raymond defeated the Black Lantern corruption in their Firestorm Matrix before it destroyed the universe. (Shown in Brightest Day #22)
Captain Boomerang must "throw the boomerang" at Dove.
Hawk must "catch the boomerang".
Boston Brand must help find the new champion who will bear the white light of life and take the Entity's place.

In fact, the whole time I was reading this issue I couldn't help but imagine the voice of the white lantern entity was Geoff Johns himself, bossing the heroes and villains alike around, teleporting them here and there directly maneuvering them through their various hoops to get the job(s) done. Like a lot of DC events, it feels like it's more about where the DCU and it's characters will be when it's finished than the circumstances of the story itself. But anything that starts with at least a dozen dead characters returned to life is bound to feel at least a bit like that, I suppose. Not having read the entire run I can't say for sure, but as the WLE ordered them to and fro that's how this issue felt.

And of course, there's the whole Swamp Thing return, as a sort of but not really all-powerful black lantern. How he ended up dead and how Alec Holland's body ended up in Star City, I have no idea. I'm not sure how the whole elementals angle will be resolved in the end but presumably Alec Holland will be reintegrated with Swamp Thing and redeemed, possibly a replacement for the bossy WLE. At one time Swamp Thing himself embodied the various elementals of earth, air, wind, and fire himself but was eventually downgraded a bit as he became too powerful--I'm not sure if the Hawks, Aquaman, Firestorm, and MM will remain elementals when Brightest Day is over and done, but there's a lesson in those Swamp Thing comics about the peril of making a character too wide in scope for his own good. Despite a certain hopeful optimism for Swamp Thing's return to the DCU, I have a feeling I'll still go back to those Len Wein or Alan Moore comics for my Swamp Thing fix.

The art was standard DC artists mash-up fare. Serviceable to the story, but not anything anyone will be buying "just for the art".

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby doombug » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Last I checked, I'm completely unbiased. I just don't want to hurt a Star week.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand