Advertisement

Review Group Week #277: S.H.I.E.LD. #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Review Group Week #277: S.H.I.E.LD. #1

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Just looked it up. It's in #2..

Da Vinci and Leonid are coming up through the floor into the big SHIELD meeting room where Isaac is giving a speech to his people, and Da Vinci says:

"Once, long ago, I led this group. The great men of this place believed in the future -- in the infinite human experience.

Now, I have been warned that this council -- these new men of the SHIELD -- believe in something different: a logical conclusion... inevitability. An end.

I have come to shatter this notion... and on that rubble reconstruct a better way. I am a builder of great things, Leonid.

And these men have stood on my shoulders for far too long."

Last two pages of SHIELD #2. I mean, come on.. how much more over the head do you want it? It's not even thinly veiled.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 262 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:That's pretty pathetic, for the LCS not you. You should punch someone in the nuts for it probably.

the one guy who basically runs the store makes the orders and the owner always cuts em shorter. It makes lower selling books harder to find. In the long run it is okay because I probably would prefer to get these books in trade anyways, but back when I was trying to collect Avengers initiative monthly it was a huge pain in the toockus.

The only other comic shop near me has some uber obnoxious people working there so I refuse to patronize their store.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:20 pm

"Once, long ago, I led this group. The great men of this place believed in the future -- in the infinite human experience.

Now, I have been warned that this council -- these new men of the SHIELD -- believe in something different: a logical conclusion... inevitability. An end.

I have come to shatter this notion... and on that rubble reconstruct a better way. I am a builder of great things, Leonid.

And these men have stood on my shoulders for far too long."

"And now it's time for them to polish my helmet for a change!"
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 262 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm here sometimes wrote:Just looked it up. It's in #2..

Da Vinci and Leonid are coming up through the floor into the big SHIELD meeting room where Isaac is giving a speech to his people, and Da Vinci says:

Last two pages of SHIELD #2. I mean, come on.. how much more over the head do you want it? It's not even thinly veiled.

Thats too convoluted for a book I try to read through in five minutes while I'm pooping. But I'll concede that the plot is there.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:26 pm

AMS wrote:
Thats too convoluted for a book I try to read through in five minutes while I'm pooping. But I'll concede that the plot is there.

:lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 187 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:24 pm

This book has a lot of plot, but not much else. Dustin Weaver is a huge talent but if this book were drawn by an artist like say Danijel Zezelj or of that scratchy style this book would be universally panned as shit and unintelligible shit. This is what Hickman needed to create a convoluted book with a strange timeline trying to be marvels Planetary or maybe a Grant Morrison book with less drugs and more science. The book isn't confusing as much as it is just complicated for the sake of being complicated and taking itself far too seriously. Hickman's FF was pretty decent till he "killed" Human Torch, so he has the ability to write a straight forward story which is why I just don't get this crap.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 286 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Yep.

The latest Criminal read perfectly as single issue though. The techniques they're using this time are fit for it more than ever.

Agreed, I loved this issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:14 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Overall more of the same. Still the same writing wise however Dustin Weaver's art looks off. Very off, I don't know if it is the colorist or what but I didn't actully think it was Weaver's art of the flip though.

Not much to say

6.5/10

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Yoni is right. This book makes me hate the Renaissance and wish that Europe had never emerged from the Dark Ages.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:42 pm

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

S.U.C.K.E.D.

It's boring. Just plain boring. I don't get it but I will say it makes me rethink my dislike for Grant Morrison. Even he can't be this pretentious.

Story: 1
Art: 2
My Score: 1.5

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 50 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Starlord wrote:S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

S.U.C.K.E.D.

It's boring. Just plain boring. I don't get it but I will say it makes me rethink my dislike for Grant Morrison. Even he can't be this pretentious.

Story: 1
Art: 2
My Score: 1.5

I haven't read SHIELD, but I have met Hickman; he's a cool dude.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:30 am

SHIELD #1 - 'Terribilita' - Hickman, Weaver and Oback

Story - SHIELD pisses me off. There's no way to beat around the bush, it annoys me, it makes me angry, it's a frustrating series and that makes it difficult to review. I find it equal parts ridiculous, genius, hilarious, stupid, simplistic and most of all pretentious. It's singular blend of history and mad philosophical bullshit makes it unlike any other Marvel book I've ever read, and that makes me want to support it, but it's so annoying and so deliberately confusing that it makes me want to drop it at the same time.

With this issue, however, things are becoming a little bit clearer. There's still nonsense like Michelangelo being some kind of cosmic time-traveller for no reason, and there's the introduction of nebulous rubbish like 'Bendy Time', but we are finally getting some answers to several of the lingering questions that abound in this series. This issue revealed who Leonid's parents really are, and it sort of revealed what the hell that white bird woman is, and it revealed a little more about the Da Vinci Vs. Newton cage-match. This is a good thing, when we reviewed #1 and #2 of the first volume, I expressed concern that the series may not be able to answer all of it's mysteries and spin it's wheels, but it seems Hickman is able to do that in a somewhat satisfactory manner.

But the central problem of the series still persists. Leonid, who is supposedly the central character, who supposedly has some kind of cosmic destiny, is as devoid of characterisation as he was in the first SHIELD #1, he is a total blank slate, he is a nothing, and as such, the series lacks a centre. All the complex artifice of Hickman's mad historical world falls apart if there are no foundations, and even though he's had 8 issues now, Hickman hasn't given us any. I have no reason to really care about what's going on, because there are no characters in this book, just mouthpieces for buzzwords. It's a problem that exists in much of Hickman's work, but in other books like FF and Secret Warriors he has made strides into creating compelling characters or utilising older figures like Spider-Man to good effect. It is not so here, and it is a huge weakness.

Not much else to say really, if you've been following SHIELD since the beginning and like it, then you'll enjoy this issue, as some answers are finally coming to light. But be aware that all the problems that the book has are still here, and show no signs of going away. It must also be said that this issue works as a terrible #1, a new reader would be totally lost with this book, if you want to read SHIELD, this is not a jumping on point, go get the hardback.

Art - And here comes the chorus again: 'At least the art was good', Dustin Weaver is awesome, and gives the stupid stuff going on in this book a bit of gravity and stops it from spinning off into complete gibbering lunacy. A future star.

Best Line - 'Let me ask you something. If all this knowledge you possess has been kept secret... how is it that I know everything you know and more?'

5/10

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:53 am

Stupid DC revamp, SHIELD normally causes epic Review Groups, but it's been too tepid.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

I haven't read the first volume of this series, so I don't know why people are in such a tizzy about it. If this many people hate it and call it pretentious, then that makes me immediately want to like it.

I liked this issue enough, even though it suffers from a case of First-Issue-All-Setup_itis. But it clearly delineates what's what in the book, so that was helpful. There isn't much more I can say about it than that, though. This issue didn't really live, it just kind of sat there and talked to you for a while. I was already pretty interested in SHIELD, and I definitely will take a look back at the first volume, but I hope there are livelier moments than this issue had. I liked the artwork, though. Good lines and clear storytelling with vibrant color.

The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:32 am

Royal Nonesuch wrote:I haven't read the first volume of this series, so I don't know why people are in such a tizzy about it. If this many people hate it and call it pretentious, then that makes me immediately want to like it.

I liked this issue enough, even though it suffers from a case of First-Issue-All-Setup_itis. But it clearly delineates what's what in the book, so that was helpful. There isn't much more I can say about it than that, though. This issue didn't really live, it just kind of sat there and talked to you for a while. I was already pretty interested in SHIELD, and I definitely will take a look back at the first volume, but I hope there are livelier moments than this issue had. I liked the artwork, though. Good lines and clear storytelling with vibrant color.

Masochist.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand