Advertisement

Review Group Week #298: Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Review Group Week #298: Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:28 am

This week marks the return of Wolverine to the X-books! Finally, we get that long-awaited fourteenth ongoing series featuring the character that everyone just can't get enough of!

Wolverine and the X-Men #1
as selected by False Prophet

Written by JASON AARON
Pencils & Cover by CHRIS BACHALO
Regenesis Gold Variant by NICK BRADSHAW
Variant Cover by FRANK CHO
Blank Variant Cover also available
Spinning directly out of X-MEN: SCHISM, the X-Men are split in two. In the oversized debut issue of the new ongoing flagship X-series, Wolverine takes one half of the X-Men back to Westchester to start over again. But the new Hellfire Club outlast its first day ? Join Marvel Architect Jason Aaron (X-MEN: SCHISM, WOLVERINE) and legendary X-Artist Chris Bachalo (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, GENERATION X) for a brand new action-packed take on the X-Men that will set a new standard for the Children of the Atom.

Stephen Day has next week's pick

If you would like to join the group, it's easy. Just post a review and I'll add you to the member's list. As long as you stay active, eventually it will be your turn to make a pick.

With $4 comics becoming the norm, the economy being what it is and the growing popularity of mail order services the Review Group recognizes that it's becoming harder and harder to commit to participating each and every week. As long as you can post one review per calendar month you will stay in the member's list. It doesn't matter if you post your review the week of it's release or if you post it later. There is no such thing as a "late" review.

The only request I make is that if you don't plan on posting a review or if you're going to be posting late is that you drop a note in the thread so that I can keep track of who is active and who isn't. The Spreadsheet of Doom is thorough, but it can't read your mind.

Comics are to be scored on a scale from 1-10. 1 being suck, 10 being a damn good comic. Beyond that, there's no right or wrong.

If it's your week, you must announce your selection by 5pm EST the day Diamond releases it's shipping list. If you do not announce your pick at that time, I will add a poll to the thread that will remain open until 12pm EST so that the group can make the selection for that week. (If you're seriously MIA, I'll probably put the poll up sooner) To ensure that you know it's your week, I will PM you when Midtown's list goes live on Thursdays. Also you'd better keep in mind the Amber Atoms rule, if your pick isn't reviewed by 2 or more people you will be exiled from the Group for 1 year. Our definition of a single issue comic is limited to comics listed at $3.99 or lower, anything above that is off limits. Also, to prevent utter filth being chosen deliberately, the Weird Worlds Rule has also gone into affect. Any book scoring a new all-time low (2.12 as of today) will not count as a miss if people wisely choose not to purchase it. Any poor soul who did review the book will earn a free pass on a book of their choice.

False Prophet
Stephen Day
GLX
Punchy
BlueStreak
guitarsmashley
Starlord
John Snow
fieldy snuts
Daringd
Amoebas
Deadfett
SilverPhoenix
Eli Katz
Comic_Doctor
Zero
Kerny
Royal Nonesuch

BLUE indicates explanation given for not posting a review.
RED indicate that no review or explanation has been posted in two weeks.
RED and BOLD will be deleted at the end of the week unless a review or explanation is posted.

Eventually, someone will together all of our reviews and we will have our very own article on the front page of The Outhouse! If you would like for your review to be included, please try to have it posted by the end of day on Monday.

Advertisement

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Review Group Week #298: Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:33 am

:smt026

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 am

Before we even start I'd like to whine about the cheesy looking new cover branding for the X books. It's going to look incredibly dated very very soon. That said the book looks like it'll be great!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:59 am

I don't know why but this thread just "feels" better and more inviting. Sort of like a new pair of underwear or drunk coeds vagina.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:35 am

How does one join this?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:How does one join this?

Write a review.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 1176 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:44 am

Is there a format? A grade you give it?

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 am

Zero wrote:Before we even start I'd like to whine about the cheesy looking new cover branding for the X books. It's going to look incredibly dated very very soon. That said the book looks like it'll be great!

I was going to say that's the best looking new trade dress Marvel has done in ages. It's like they finally shelled out for professionals instead of handing it off to the interns.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

John Snow wrote:
I was going to say that's the best looking new trade dress Marvel has done in ages. It's like they finally shelled out for professionals instead of handing it off to the interns.

I'm with Zero. That cover is horrible and really feels dated, but I'm still looking forward to the book.

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:08 am

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Is there a format? A grade you give it?

No format, score needs to be between 1 and 10.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:12 am

Starlord wrote:
I'm with Zero. That cover is horrible and really feels dated, but I'm still looking forward to the book.

I am now more confident than ever in my rightness on this subject.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:53 am

John Snow wrote:

It's certainly better than Siege or that embarrassing photoshop job that Fear Itself had, but that font is going to age as well as Superman's hair in the 90's has. Marvel really don't have much success with trade design aside from I quite liked the look of Secret Warriors and the very basic MAX trim.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Postby Starlord » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:56 am

John Snow wrote:

YEAH?! Well you can.. can... kiss my hairy gay ass pal!

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10 am

Starlord wrote:

YEAH?! Well you can.. can... kiss my hairy gay ass pal!

Dream on, bub.

Postby ****** » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:17 am

Zero wrote:
It's certainly better than Siege or that embarrassing photoshop job that Fear Itself had, but that font is going to age as well as Superman's hair in the 90's has. Marvel really don't have much success with trade design aside from I quite liked the look of Secret Warriors and the very basic MAX trim.

Hickman did SW, that's why it didn't suck.

Just the fact that you're talking about how the W&XM trade will age instead of how it looks now is a big improvement over recent Marvel designs. Something like Siege was miles ahead of the beveling hackery that was Wolverine Origins...

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand