Monday, November 19, 2018 • Morning Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 328 - BATMAN INCORPORATED vs YOUNGBLOOD

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Postby ****** » Thu May 24, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm giving YB an 1100 just to balance out the bias and hate. The anatomically challenged are comics characters too! :smt013

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Thu May 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Batman Incorportated #1 VS Youngblood #1

BI #1 feels like the same premise that started off Morrison's run on Batman & Robin. Begins with a flash-forward to someone a crucial character supposedly being killed, then backtracks to fill in those blanks while introducing a new and fairly uninteresting animal-themed psycho-killer. Qu'est-ce que c'est? I honestly can't decide if this is another example of a modern comic book writer obsessed with symmetrical narrative themes, like the way Hickman book-ended his giant FF arc with identical scenes, or if it's just a re-tread of Morrison's greatest hits. Either way, it feels like the reader is being asked to fall for the same trick twice. And since Batman's league of Batmen or whatever they are are shown in this issue bragging about the ways they faked their own deaths to operate in secret, it's a far stretch of credibility anyway to think that anything else is going on with Damien. Plus there is no way Batman let the goatboy turn and give him that shot to the face, let alone the shot at Damien. :lol:

The scenes with the Crypt Keeper in the white hoodie are pretty silly, but thanks to the art team for puttting some damn color in the comic book (of course later when it's collected they'll probably digitally take it all out--see Flex Mentallo).

+1 for Damien becoming a vegetarian, and Bat Cow too.

VERSUS

Youngblood #1 re-covers old ground as well, in this case the shit-soaked soil that was exclusive territory of Image Comics.in the 1990s, a dark time for stapled pamphlets across the kingdom indeed. Which is ripe for satire, but Image went with an homage instead. I paid less than 5 cents a book for my '90s Image Comics when I tried to read them, and it was still too much. Why Image would go back to charging their readers actual money for this shit, I have no idea.

-1 for letting "words and all" instead of "warts and all" see print--ERIC STEPHENSON, EDITOR!

Oh wells, that makes it

BubbaKanoosh

2009 Most Valuable Poster

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Thu May 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Wasn't shaft a redhead?

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Thu May 24, 2012 7:29 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Wasn't shaft a redhead?

Yeah not Not-Shaft though.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

So do we get credit for 2 reviews this week if we do double duty and review both, or just one?

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Thu May 24, 2012 8:17 pm

McDarkseid wrote:So do we get credit for 2 reviews this week if we do double duty and review both, or just one?

I would hope 2 credits for two reviews.

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Thu May 24, 2012 8:24 pm

bkthomson wrote:
I would hope 2 credits for two reviews.

And I would hope for Three Times One Minus One:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Thu May 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Batman Incorporated #1

This was alright, I don't know though I can't say it really struck a cord with me.

The opening sequence was good and drew me into the story at first. However, once things switched to, "One Month Previously," it lost me somewhat. It's not that what I was reading was badly written, Bat Cow definitely got a chuckle out of me for instance. The problem is that I can't really say that I cared at all for any of the villains. Goat Boy seemed kind of flat to me and Leviathan doesn't come across to me as anything I haven't seen before.

I enjoyed it enough that I didn't hate it, so I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu May 24, 2012 9:43 pm

Youngblood-71

I will go ahead and say it. This comic was not awful. I actually kind of liked it. The first few pages of "comic" were dreadful but they were supposed to be. After that it was all kind of alright...I mean the art was awful but that's to be expected. The story was kind of silly but it was supposed to be. It didn't take itself too seriously and that's what made it enjoyable. It was tongue in cheek and I wouldn't expect Rob to allow his book to be written with such irreverence. I can't believe I'm about to do this but,

Postby ****** » Fri May 25, 2012 8:05 am

McDarkseid has spoken and next week we shall be reviewing...

Star Trek TNG/Doctor Who: Assimilation #1
Scott & David Tipton with Tony Lee (w)
J.K. Woodward (a)
They said it would never happen! Nearly five decades and 1500 episodes in the making! The two greatest science-fiction properties of all time cross over for the first time in history, in STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION/DOCTOR WHO: ASSIMILATION! When the Federation's most terrifying enemy strikes an unholy alliance with one of the Doctor's most hated antagonists, the result is devastation on a cosmic scale! Spanning the ends of space and time itself, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the USS Enterprise find themselves joining forces with the Doctor and his companions, with the fate of the galaxy hanging in the balance! Written by Scott and David Tipton, the authors of the critically acclaimed Star Trek: Infestaion, and featuring the beautiful painted artwork of J.K. Woodward (Fallen Angel), this is the adventure that both Trekkers and Whovians have waited for all their lives! Geronimo? Make it so!

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Fri May 25, 2012 8:19 am

This I can get behind! Good pick!

Postby ****** » Fri May 25, 2012 8:39 am

McDarkseid wrote:So do we get credit for 2 reviews this week if we do double duty and review both, or just one?

Credit for both.

Double credit for Youngblood if you give it a 10. Not really.

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Fri May 25, 2012 11:36 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Youngblood-71

I will go ahead and say it. This comic was not awful. I actually kind of liked it. The first few pages of "comic" were dreadful but they were supposed to be. After that it was all kind of alright...I mean the art was awful but that's to be expected. The story was kind of silly but it was supposed to be. It didn't take itself too seriously and that's what made it enjoyable. It was tongue in cheek and I wouldn't expect Rob to allow his book to be written with such irreverence. I can't believe I'm about to do this but,

I can't believe it, either.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Interesting pick for next week. :)

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Fri May 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Interesting pick for next week. :)

I'm generally not one to just pick something off of my own "pull list"--not that I have a pull list. And I'm intrigued by this combination of one of the best science fiction TV series with one of the worst.

leave a comment with facebook