Tuesday, August 14, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Putting the yellow back into journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review Group Week 330 - INSUFFERABLE WEEKS 1-6

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:03 pm

Ok, WOW.I read the majority of comics off my laptop so it wasn't difficult making the digital transition. This was just great, the format was brilliant and while I've seen motion comics like this before this was done so well and concise and enjoyable that it made the reading experience that much more pleasurable. It's a Mark Waid super hero book so it's not a stretch to say that the story would be at least serviceable. Much like Irredemable and Incurruptable or one of my favorite comics period, Empire. He just tells good stories. His Incredibles comic was my favorite super hero comic while it was coming out. Peter Krause brings an A game to this fast format and did just a great job. Thanks AMlah for the great pick. I will give it the rare yoni stamp of approval with a 10 or as Punchy would say 300.

so yeah 10
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Zero wrote:If Insufferable was a thing it'd be Stephen Day's comic book store because it has nothing to recommend it over paying extra to travel to a decent store but at least you're not fishing your comics out of a creek or pond.


:lol:
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Zero wrote:If Insufferable was a thing it'd be Stephen Day's comic book store because it has nothing to recommend it over paying extra to travel to a decent store but at least you're not fishing your comics out of a creek or pond.


Yeah, that really doesn't make much sense. :smt011
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:29 pm

So doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of being able to read these things with your tablets on buses full of crazy old ladies or whatever? If it's still optimal (or what passes for optimal in this case) to read them on a full sized computer screen or laptop, they are functionally less portable than a stapled pamphlet IMO.

How does designing your webcomic for one portable device a minority of people own make it any more accessible anyway?

Not that I have an iPad, but I wouldn't waste the power it took to charge one to read Insufferable.

This + the story content underscores my initial impression the whole thing is by aging Batman fanboys for aging Batman fanboys. And free means little if I need to spend $500 on an iPad and $50 a month for a data plan to read poorly designed webcomics on buses I don't take.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm not so sure I would call it animation. I think the concept of having panels appear on screen or change with a click is not bad, but it is as you say gimmicky when done in such a clunky way. There's nothing to be gained from it that you couldn't get from your own imagination while reading a static page, so you're not enhancing the reading experience from a story perspective. That makes it dangerously unnecessary, possibly distracting, and certainly gimmicky.

However, IF it were done very well and worked well on devices so as to make the reading experience intuitive, then I think itcould enhance the overall experience. As presented here, it is simply an "oh look at that, isn't that neat" kind of thing that does more to pull you out of the story than draw you in. In other words, it's not enhancing the story (and I don't think that sort of thing ever will), so it should enhance the usability of the platform to make it more viable. Otherwise, what's the point? Parlor tricks.
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:21 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I'm not so sure I would call it animation. I think the concept of having panels appear on screen or change with a click is not bad, but it is as you say gimmicky when done in such a clunky way. There's nothing to be gained from it that you couldn't get from your own imagination while reading a static page, so you're not enhancing the reading experience from a story perspective. That makes it dangerously unnecessary, possibly distracting, and certainly gimmicky.

However, IF it were done very well and worked well on devices so as to make the reading experience intuitive, then I think itcould enhance the overall experience. As presented here, it is simply an "oh look at that, isn't that neat" kind of thing that does more to pull you out of the story than draw you in. In other words, it's not enhancing the story (and I don't think that sort of thing ever will), so it should enhance the usability of the platform to make it more viable. Otherwise, what's the point? Parlor tricks.


It seems like we are in agreement there. But I don't think I called it animation in my review did I? I joked about it being animation done 1/10th of the way the other day, I think, but by that I meant this isn't really animated at all.

As far as digital media experiences go, it's vastly inferior to animation or any number of other things one can do online because as you say the imagination (and pacing of a skilled writer) is superior to what this does--was what I was saying in my review. If it isn't significantly enhanced by the new medium the technology creates (the way animation has been enhanced by technology), it can't truly be innovative.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:24 pm

McDarkseid wrote:
It seems like we are in agreement there. But I don't think I called it animation in my review did I? I joked about it being animation done 1/10th of the way the other day, I think, but by that I meant this isn't really animated at all.

As far as digital media experiences go, it's vastly inferior to animation or any number of other things one can do online because as you say the imagination (and pacing of a skilled writer) is superior to what this does--was what I was saying in my review. If it isn't significantly enhanced by the new medium the technology provides (the way animation has been enhanced by technology), it can't truly be innovative.


Well you said motion comics and contrasted it with real animation. But I agree and I don't think we need innovation in the way stories are told. I think we do need it in the way the content is delivered on these devices.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:40 pm

Holy Christ...
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Holey crust?

Image
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Holy Christ...


If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:33 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over
thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.



Not sure how it's overthinking. Something like this is billed as the future of comics, it should be innovative. At the very least it should match current technology.
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:42 pm

I didn't think this format had much to offer, and don't like the experience of reading webcomics. As much as I like Freakangels, for example, I hated the experience of reading it online and wait to buy the trades to read it in the medium I'm happy with.
User avatar

Eli Katz

OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, then I agree, Jude and Squid are way, way, way over
thinking this.

If that wasn't what you were thinking, then nevermind, move along.

I'm thinking what you're thinking.
User avatar

Garofani Spruzzo

Rain Partier

Postby Garofani Spruzzo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:47 pm

The latest installment was purple and flat.

/underthunk'd
User avatar

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Eli Katz wrote:I'm thinking what you're thinking.


I thought you were. :-D

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Grayson, HNutz and 54 guests