Advertisement

Review: The Royals: Masters of War #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Review: The Royals: Masters of War #1

Postby Juan Cena » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
True, but when the alternate reality is as close to true history as this one is, reality and true history can't help but intrude into the reader's mind a little bit -- at least I found that to be the case.

The same here. The idea of a super-powered British Royal family is pretty much shoehorned into WWII instead of being allowed to shape its timeline more. A timeline where the Russian German and (assumably) Austro-Hungarian Empires still stood with their royal families intact would have been a far more interesting book.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 647 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:21 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Only in such because of the actions of Prince Henry in the book. The King seemed more concerned about his palace's architecture than his subjects, and Prince Arthur was just a self-centered douche.

I definitely felt that the Windsors living in luxuryt and throwing a gala while London was getting bombed was a pretty anti-monarchy statement. Quite different from the real Windsors.

Oh, the poor Windsors. :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:41 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Oh, the poor Windsors. :lol:

The truth hurts. The real life family of King George VI lived under the same rationing measures of his subjects.

Plus, his younger brother, George, Duke of Kent, was killed with a plane crash while serving with the RAF.

Also, the future Queen Elizabeth II served with the British Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service after she turned 18 in 1945.

Also of note: the future George VI saw action with the Royal Navy during the Battle of Jutland in WW I.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand