Advertisement

Review: Villains for Hire #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 168 posts

Review: Villains for Hire #1

Postby LOLtron » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:59 am

TheGeek reviews a brand-new Villains for Hire #1!

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Villain on villain action! Why has Misty Knight hired psychopaths like Tiger Shark and Speed Demon? Because the Purple Man is out to build a criminal empire with an army including Avalanche, Shocker and the all-new Scourge! Let the baddest man (or woman) win!

Review:

If something needs villain-ing, who you gonna call?

That's the question Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning posed in Villains for Hire #1, a new miniseries focusing on a clandestine group of villains led by the Purple Man. The negative to Heroes for Hire's positive, this book is basically Ocean's Eleven except that, instead of George Clooney, you've got a purple dude ordering around superpowered psychopaths. Which, in hindsight, sounds a lot cooler back in the drawing board.

The villains assembled here are certainly interesting. Guys like Shocker and Scourge and Avalanche pulling off a heist with clockwork efficiency is cool to see, and D & A hints at a deeper connection between this book and the previous Heroes for Hire series, which for this HFH newbie is a cool tidbit to know, but not necessarily needed to enjoy the book. The hairy part comes in the form of a rival group of villains muscling in on the Villains for Hire's score, people who seem to outsmart them every step of the way! Who's behind this cunning caper? The last page reveal tells you all you need to know and then some, which gives loyal Heroes for Hire readers (and even newbies like me) something to chew on.

It's unfortunate though that the book comes off as a by-the-numbers heist tale, with D & A failing (failing!) to put a more interesting spin on the concept of supervillains for hire. The characters feel like they're just going through the motions, waiting for the plot the move, and even Purple Man couldn't avoid sounding so bored in every line.

And let me just say that saying "Hello, villain. Are you for hire?" to the person you already hired is different levels of silly.

Renato Arlem's art has that gritty, detailed style that works with a book like this, though his storytelling could use some work. At one point in the book, Scourge and Crossfire slug it out, and I can't tell whether they're fighting using capoiera or they're just dancing a little jig. It's unintentionally hilarious, but ultimately that's not what the book is about.

The idea of a supervillain network for hire is cool and all, but Villains for Hire #1 just failed to sell the concept well enough. It's by no means bad, but I won't blame you if you forget to buy the next issue down the line.

Review by: TheGeek

http://173.199.169.70/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/17550-review-villains-for-hire-1.html/
Last edited by LOLtron on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Review: Villains for Hire #1

Postby Punchy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:39 pm

I liked this one, it was heavy on set-up, but it used a lot of really cool Z-List villains, and the stuff it was setting up was damn interesting, I love how DnA have turned Misty Knight and Purple Man into the worst of enemies, and it’s going to be great to see their conflict come to a head. I do have some qualms with the depictions of a couple of the villains, what happened to Avalanche being content to run a Pub in San Francisco? Is this the Scourge from Thunderbolts who is actually Nuke? Lots of questions there, and hopefully they’ll be answered. Renato Arlem’s artwork was strong stuff, reminding me at times of Butch Guice, which is high praise indeed.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 331 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 pm

yeah i agree with you about Avalanche Punchy.. i thought he pretty much gave up being on either side of the fence so he could run his bar..

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Very nice review.
"Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
Nah, never happen.
Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"It is often forgotten that (dictionaries) are artificial repositories, put together well after the languages they define. The roots of language are irrational and of a magical nature." - Jorge Luis Borges, Prologue to "El otro, el mismo."

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand