Advertisement

Review: Wonder Woman #7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 318 posts

Review: Wonder Woman #7

Postby LOLtron » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:10 am

A review of the latest issue of Wonder Woman!

Comic Review Cover

Credits & Solicit Info:

Remember the myth of Orpheus? Wonder Woman certainly does. And we hope she's learned its lessons well, because someone she dearly loves is in Hell's clutches – and she's the only one who can mount a rescue mission! But Hades has no mercy, even for his own family – in fact, especially for his own family – and he doesn't intend to let her walk out of his domain without paying a terrible price!

Written by: Brian Azzarello
Pencilled by: Cliff Chiang
Inked by: Cliff Chiang
Cover Color by: Cliff Chiang
Lettered by: Jared K. Fletcher

Review:

In Wonder Woman #7, Diana, Hermes and Lennox, accompanied by Eros, visit Hephaestus, the god of the forge, to arm themselves for a trip to Hell. While there, they discover a shocking secret of the Amazons, namely that there are male Amazons working in the forges of Hephaestus. While I won't spoil the most sordid details of how the male Amazons are made, the shocking secret proves to Diana just how flawed Amazon culture truly was. What really stands out in this issue is Diana's reaction to why the male Amazons are working for Hephaestus. Whereas the Amazon tribe might have rejected their brothers, Diana sees them as family and predictably tries to rescue them from a threat that might not even exist.

There's been a bit of hullabaloo about this issue, which continues the Amazon Princess's tour throughout DC's Greek pantheon. Unsurprisingly, several bloggers have protested that Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang's depiction of the Amazons have somehow sullied the character of Wonder Woman and demeaned her as a character. However, from what I read in the issue, the Amazon tribe's flaws only serve to strengthen Diana's character and make her stand out from her flawed sisters.

The controversy in the issue stems from the heartless and callous attitude the Amazons show to their male offspring. Incorrectly, some bloggers have claimed that this sordid revelation has diminished Diana's moral character since Paradise Island is no longer as idyllic as it was pre new-52. At the end of the issue, the Amazons' actions only serve to strengthen Diana's resolve and highlight what a great character she is. Wonder Woman has always been an independent woman and a character of principle. If anything, the fact that she flat out rejects the crimes of her people and immediately seeks retribution makes her as strong as ever.

If some overzealous bloggers refuse to see what a fantastic book this is because the creators choose to depict the Amazons as something other than perfect, than they are simply missing the forest because of the trees. Perhaps the funniest part of this latest drummed-up controversy is that the Amazons of myth also rejected their male offspring, choosing to kill them by exposure rather than letting them live. As usual, Azzarello and Chiang have knocked it out of the park with a fantastic issue that ends far too soon.

Review by: Christian Hoffer

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/reviews/comics-reviews/18758-review-wonder-woman-7.html/

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 481 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Review: Wonder Woman #7

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:49 am

That was a really sad moment for Diana when the male amazons refused to go with her. She's already separated herself from her sisters and mother, and now her "brothers" reject her ! :cry:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1226 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:57 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:That was a really sad moment for Diana when the male amazons refused to go with her. She's already separated herself from her sisters and mother, and now her "brothers" reject her ! :cry:

I didn't take it as rejection but more like another example of Wonder Woman learning a lesson about dealing with those around her. She decided that her "brothers" were being held against their will and attempted to liberate them instead of talking to them and finding out if that was what they wanted. Hopefully she will learn that even she isn't infallible and even her judgement can be wrong.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Is there a pic of Hephaestus from this? My friend was telling me about his design and I was looking forward to seeing it as he's my favorite Greek god.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 365 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:11 pm

yea i'm done with this book. its just not very good. Its not bad but not 3.99 good.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 pm

avengingtitan wrote:yea i'm done with this book. its just not very good. Its not bad but not 3.99 good.

It's only $2.99 :smt102

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Punchy wrote:
It's only $2.99 :smt102

ehh still not good enough.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 295 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:28 pm

avengingtitan wrote:ehh still not good enough.

You're a quitter! QUITTER!! :P

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Zechs wrote:
You're a quitter! QUITTER!! :P

After this and Justice League you're right.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:25 am

I have no idea why anyone would be pissed off at this issue, it was just a fantastic comic, yes it made retcons to the Amazons, but they make sense and hell, it’s what was in the actual myths. It seems to me that people these days are always just looking for an excuse to fly off the handle at something being offensive or sexist or whatever, and it’s sad. To me, the fact that Wonder Woman was willing to call the male Amazons her brothers shows what a hero she is, and actually makes the character stronger, and gives her more depth rather than compromises it. If this issue pissed you off, you’re just plain wrong. This story continues to be the best Wonder Woman I’ve ever read, and that’s all there is to it. I loved seeing Azzarello’s takes on Eros and Hephaestus, although the first scene was a little confusing, was Eros in a relationship with that guy, or was he in trying to get Eros to reverse some kind of love spell? It was fantastic to have Cliff Chiang back on art, I liked Tony Akins’ fill-in issues, but Chiang just adds so much to this book, he really makes it click. Just stop gnashing your teeth and enjoy it!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1226 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:13 am

Greg wrote:Is there a pic of Hephaestus from this? My friend was telling me about his design and I was looking forward to seeing it as he's my favorite Greek god.

Here you go:

ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand