Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:27 pm

Punchy wrote:Don't bring Loeb into this!

Why not? This was bad writing, he's a bad writer...

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

House of J wrote:Why not? This was bad writing, he's a bad writer...

Fraction is leagues ahead of Loeb.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

thefourthman wrote:your argument is he is a plant?
what the hell did I miss in those Loeb issue of Wolverine?

You should read those, they were epic.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Punchy wrote:Fraction is leagues ahead of Loeb.

Just give him time, some people like to defend Loeb's earlier work.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Dammit, come back! If we can keep this up for another 90 pages or so maybe it'll get its own forum!

How 'bout this: Nightcrawler is the son of the Devil! Wolverine is a lupine! Charles Xavier should be the new Stilt Man! I'm glad Kitty is lost in space! Gambit is still one of the dumbest mutants ever! In fact, most of the mutants created after 1988 are dumb! Emma Frost is overdue for a pedicure! Banshee had it coming for years!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

This was alright. The writing did nothing much, but throw in some potentially cool stuff. The art was okay. A bit off, but okay.

7* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 pm

GLX wrote:This was alright. The writing did nothing much, but throw in some potentially cool stuff. The art was okay. A bit off, but okay.

7* out of 10*

Your avatar is cracking me up.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 pm

House of J wrote:Your avatar is cracking me up.

It has that effect on people.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Daringd
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Daringd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Utopia (One-shot): Fraction/Silvestri Marvel $3.99
I’m so glad my LCS manager told me to read Uncanny first. I couldn’t wait to pick this book up. Everything works here. Fraction gives us a very “old” concept but does great work with it. This riot has caused a lot of problems. Norman Osborn really comes off as a manipulator here. More than any book he’s in this week. Sure he came off Evil in Spidey and to me at least a control freak in Dark Avengers. But this book shows how smart Norman is and how he plans for everything. He is a perfect foil a perfect villain for the Marvel universe. I loved Silvestri’s art here. It was slick it was a perfect fit. If Fraction can keep this up. I think he can especially with how he ended it. This event could be better than Messiah Complex which is to me the best X-men cross over/story in the past 10 years on X-men. Fraction is the best thing to happen to the X-men in a very long time. I can’t wait for the next part of this story.
9.6/10

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:36 pm

House of J wrote:Dammit, come back! If we can keep this up for another 90 pages or so maybe it'll get its own forum!

We had a secret forum, but it made recruitment something of a challenge.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:45 pm

House of J wrote:In a capacity so minor, I fished these out of a 50 cent bin and don't even remember them. In the wiki SI page, the X-Men aren't mentioned as main characters nor is their role mentioned in the plot synopsis. And no one bothered to write one for their mini, why bother?

I got the SI: X-Men mini cheap in a ebay bundle and thought it was decent. Their role in the main SI series was virtually non-existent but in their mini they prevented the Skrull invasion in SF in a pretty kickass way so they should have a good profile in the bay area at the moment.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Punchy wrote:Don't bring Loeb into this!

Hear hear! I didn't read it so it didn't happen. :D

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Punchy wrote:Fraction is leagues ahead of Loeb.

:lol:

Loeb's reputation may have taken a few hits in the last couple of years, but Fraction's got a ways to go before he does anything that compares with the work Loeb has done with Tim Sale over the years.
Last edited by ****** on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

House of J wrote:Just give him time, some people like to defend Loeb's earlier work.

Just those of us who have actually read it. :wink:

Kerny
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-men: Utopia #1

I haven't been reading Uncanny, but thats ok as the problem for the x-men here is the same one they have had before and may always have: humans don't like em'. Things get out of hand and people start to riot. Enter Norman Osborn and the Dark Avengers.

Fraction writes all the different characters well, especially the DA. He quickly jumps around to a different scenario, which is kinda neat, and a fault against the book both at the same time. I look forward to the Venom vs Collous errr Big Metal Russian Guy fight, as I am a sucker for all things Venom. Ares also has some badass lines. Some of the lesser known X-men didn't have thoher se description boxes and that kinda bugged me as I didn't know them or couldn't place who they were at first glance.

The act that the humans propose in this story is obviously a IRL parallel and I don't have a problem with it, as I've always seen the X-men used in these type of scenarios.

The cliffhanger was intriguing and a bit predictable but should set up a good crossover.

The art is terrible. I usually like Silvestri, but not Silvestri and 14 or however many assists he had. It's just all too stylized and characters can change appearances with a turn of a page. Also why was Loki a man!?

Story: 6.5
Art: 4

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand