Advertisement

ReviewGroup Week176 - DARK AVENGERS/UNCANNY X-MEN: UTOPIA #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 145 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 pm

amlah6 wrote:I got the SI: X-Men mini cheap in a ebay bundle and thought it was decent. Their role in the main SI series was virtually non-existent but in their mini they prevented the Skrull invasion in SF in a pretty kickass way so they should have a good profile in the bay area at the moment.

Haha. I wonder if it was mine? I eBayed that SI stuff post-haste.

Ok, but can YOU tell me the last time they saved the world (minus giant bullet nonsense)? Mostly they just destroy stuff, fight with other mutants, and get involved in they own sordid little melodrama. They may as well put hamsters up their butts.

I mean, I know they have many times, but now I am curious when (saved the world, not put hamsters up their butts).

San Francisco just does not count.

They did save it from hippies, though, so I can see why the cops like them so fucking much.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 pm

amlah6 wrote:Hear hear! I didn't read it so it didn't happen. :D

Are you kidding? There was a special B&W edition to make it even more confusing.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:32 pm

amlah6 wrote::lol:

Loeb's reputation may have taken a few hits in the last couple of years, but Fraction's got a ways to go before he does anything that compares with the work Loeb has done with Tim Sale over the years.

To me, Fraction is like Marvel's Geoff Johns. Sounds good until you read it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:33 pm

yeah I've wanted to read some fraction stuff because he Joe Casey are friends then anytime I read any of his marvel work I cringe.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm

amlah6 wrote:Just those of us who have actually read it. :wink:

I read that fucking horrible Challengers of the Unknown miniseries from '91. What did you like best about it?

Other than that, I think I've read BM year one, Superman/Batman and Supergirl. Oh, and X-Man. And maybe a Hulk Gray mini that was pretty good. Oh yeah, and those Avengers and FF issues were fun for the price I paid ($2 a longbox) but not so great otherwise.

I think I liked Hulk Gray best of those.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:37 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:yeah I've wanted to read some fraction stuff because he Joe Casey are friends then anytime I read any of his marvel work I cringe.

I liked what little I've read of Joe Casey, doesn't he have a new project?

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 pm

House of J wrote:Haha. I wonder if it was mine? I eBayed that SI stuff post-haste.

Ok, but can YOU tell me the last time they saved the world (minus giant bullet nonsense)? Mostly they just destroy stuff, fight with other mutants, and get involved in they own sordid little melodrama. They may as well put hamsters up their butts.

I mean, I know they have many times, but now I am curious when (saved the world, not put hamsters up their butts).

San Francisco just does not count.

They did save it from hippies, though, so I can see why the cops like them so fucking much.

That was the most X-Men I've read in 3 or 4 years, I don't really have any interest in the franchise.

The SI Ebay lot I won had the YA/Runaways, FF, X-Men and Thor minis. Fistfulls of mediocre, but I don't think I paid more than $8 for it.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:yeah I've wanted to read some fraction stuff because he Joe Casey are friends then anytime I read any of his marvel work I cringe.

His Iron Man is awesome, especially the first arc after the movie came out and his Fracbaker work on Immortal Iron Fist has set up a mythology around the character that I could pretty much read forever.

His X books have been astonishingly bad though.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:44 pm

amlah6 wrote:His Iron Man is awesome, especially the first arc after the movie came out and his Fracbaker work on Immortal Iron Fist has set up a mythology around the character that I could pretty much read forever.

He wrote The Order, right? I read that after the corpse was good and cold.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:44 pm

House of J wrote:To me, Fraction is like Marvel's Geoff Johns. Sounds good until you read it.

Generally I think Johns is about the most overrated writer this decade, but his Action Comics run justifies the hype.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 pm

amlah6 wrote:Generally I think Johns is about the most overrated writer this decade, but his Action Comics run justifies the hype.

Yeah, I picked up $1 copies of most of those and they were good.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:46 pm

There's a lot of Fellini on tv tonight and it's going to give me nightmares.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:49 pm

amlah6 wrote:His Iron Man is awesome, especially the first arc after the movie came out and his Fracbaker work on Immortal Iron Fist has set up a mythology around the character that I could pretty much read forever.

I only read a little of the Iron Fist, maybe #1-2 and a special about some other dude who got screwed over by some chick or something.

I figured I'll find the run cheap sooner or later.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:52 pm

House of J wrote:I read that fucking horrible Challengers of the Unknown miniseries from '91. What did you like best about it?

Haven't read it, but it was his first comics work so I wouldn't really expect much from it.

House of J wrote:Other than that, I think I've read BM year one, Superman/Batman and Supergirl. Oh, and X-Man. And maybe a Hulk Gray mini that was pretty good. Oh yeah, and those Avengers and FF issues were fun for the price I paid ($2 a longbox) but not so great otherwise.

I think I liked Hulk Gray best of those.

Batman: The Long Halloween
Superman: For All Seasons
Hulk: Gray
Spider-Man: Blue
Daredevil: Yellow

All amazing and genuinely special comics. Tim Sale has a lot to do with that of course, but they clearly bring out the best in each other.

Beyond that everything I've read by him is generally dumb fun. Sure some of it is absurd, but I think that type of storytelling still has a place in comics.

Postby ****** » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:53 pm

House of J wrote:He wrote The Order, right? I read that after the corpse was good and cold.

Yeah, that book would have been better off as an abortion.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand