Advertisement

Rich Johnston Keeping Secret That Could Shut Down Marvel or DC (Worse Than Pedophilia) (UPDATED)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Rich Johnston Keeping Secret That Could Shut Down Marvel or DC (Worse Than Pedophilia) (UPDATED)

Postby LOLtron » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:46 pm

In an attempt to secure victory in The Outhouse's Comic Industrialist of the Year Award, Bleeding Cool's Rich Johnston has claimed that he knows a secret about a Marvel or DC executive that could shut the company down if revealed.

Source: Reddit

Yeah, you read the headline right. No, this isn't a "joke" story. Let us explain...

No, it is too much. Let us sum up.

Last weekend, we reported on the controversy created when Rich Johnston posted a letter from a nine-year-old cancer patient in order to exploit his plight to gain unique hits and shame Marvel and Dan Slott warm people's hearts. Slott and writer Ron Marz took extreme offense on Twitter, with the former telling all of his followers to unfollow Bleeding Cool.

Discussion apparently continued on the message boards for superstar writer "The Great One" Brian Bendis. This reporter hates to visit other message boards, so I was glad to find that /r/comicbooks poster IAmTheWalkingDead summed up the events of the thread for us.

It seems that Johnston, a man who cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous, learned of the disparagment going on at the Bendis Boards and showed up to defend himself. You see, Johnston took issue with the claims that he will post anything for unique hits, because, he said, he holds a secret about an executive for one of the big two comics companies that, if revealed, would shut down the company for good.

There are many stories that I don't and haven't run for [because I'm trying to do good]. . . . For example, I have one story that could completely and utterly doom one of the Big Two because of the actions of a senior executive many years ago before they came to the company. But if I ran it, that company would have to be shut down, it would be completely tainted, like the News Of The World. If I was a proper journalist, I'd run it. But it would cripple the comics industry and put hundreds out of work. So it stays hidden.

So what the hell does Johnston know? Well, he went on to make an even bolder claim:

Also, reporting it without risk of being litigated against into my grave would be a pig. I can't even risk telling anyone this one because of slander law. The people I heard it from as well risked the same. Basically, like Jimmy Savile, I have to wait for him to die. BTW, it's worse than Jimmy Savile.

Jimmy Savile was a British TV star who, after his death, was the subject of a shitload of child molestation accusations. No, seriously, like, over 450 of them.

So what is a Marvel or DC executive doing that is worse than molesting a shitload of children? What? No, it's not "ruining Spider-Man." What's wrong with you people?

Johnston, who routinely reveals confidential information about Marvel and DC storylines and announcements, is afraid to post the rumors because he could be sued for slander. So we're sure as hell not going to speculate. However, there's nothing stopping all of you from doing so in the forum thread or Facebook comments below, so have at it. Bonus points if you get Johnston to show up to defend his honor. :)

Note: The comments of Outhouse message board posters or Facebook commentators do not represent the opinions of The Outhouse or its staff. We'd sell any of these people out in a minute, so feel free to contact us. No, really. We could even tip you off on a few of these weirdos.

If nothing else, this all but assures Johnston's victory in the Comic Industrialist of the Year Awards here at The Outhouse. After all, without Johnston's silence, the comic industry would be utterly destroyed.

UPDATE: An hour after the initial Reddit posting, Johnston announced his intention to try out for the 2014 British Olympic Backpedaling team with the following statement:

I may have not considered the way corporations can survive outside of scandal, I was probably reacting in the light of News Of The World. This particular case if true is bad, but the worse than Savile was more about the impact on the organisation. And considering the BBC of late that might have been mistaken either. The initial point was that I was being accused of running any story without thinking of the consequences and I picked the biggest example on my head of why that wasn't true. That context seems to have been lost.

UPDATE: Rich Johnston is still refusing to reveal his secret. However, Outhouse forum poster and U.K. Youth Correspondent Jubilee has created a fun game you can play to create your own Rich Johnston Worse Than Pedophilia rumor:

Enjoy, and please post your rumor in the forum thread or Facebook comments below. 

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Rich Johnston Keeping Secret That Could Shut Down Marvel

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm

Isn't having knowledge of a crime, and not reporting it, a crime in of itself?

Certainly it's got to be a worse offense than slander.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Maybe Quesada is DB Cooper?

Man talk about digging yourself a deeper hole, Rich is looking way foolish on this.

Hab

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm

[–]richjohnston 1 point 12 hours ago
I may have not considered the way corporations can survive outside of scandal, I was probably reacting in the light of News Of The World. This particular case if true is bad, but the worse than Savile was more about the impact on the organisation. And considering the BBC of late that might have been mistaken either. The initial point was that I was being accused of running any story without thinking of the consequences and I picked the biggest example on my head of why that wasn't true. That context seems to have been lost.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:

:lol: Rich is the greatest.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:11 pm

Necrophilia?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm

habitual wrote:Isn't having knowledge of a crime, and not reporting it, a crime in of itself?

Certainly it's got to be a worse offense than slander.

Hab

Um, no.

Outside of a few specific circumstances, there's no general law making not reporting a crime illegal (unless you're a 'mandated reporter').

That's the sneaky pete talking for you again.
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:20 pm

So he makes a post without thinking about how much thought he puts into his articles before he runs them?

Not only did he shoot himself in the foot, I think he completely blew it off.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Um, no.

Outside of a few specific circumstances, there's no general law making not reporting a crime illegal.

That's the sneaky pete talking for you again.

Uh actually I don't think that's true at all.

To be convicted of an accessory charge, the accused must generally be proved to have had actual knowledge that a crime was going to be, or had been, committed

Not quite the same as conspiracy, but, it definitely depends on the crime and if it's as drastic is Rich is saying it is it sounds like it qualifies.

So maybe Sneaky Pete is talking for you? :smt102

Hab

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Why doesn't he do it? It'd be awesome.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:33 pm

LOLtron wrote:Discussion apparently continued on the message boards for superstar writer "The Great One" Brian Bendis.

That thread starter seems familiar. :shock:

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Jubilee wrote:Why doesn't he do it? It'd be awesome.

Because he's full of shit, and spineless.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:34 pm

habitual wrote:
Uh actually I don't think that's true at all.

To be convicted of an accessory charge, the accused must generally be proved to have had actual knowledge that a crime was going to be, or had been, committed

Not quite the same as conspiracy, but, it definitely depends on the crime and if it's as drastic is Rich is saying it is it sounds like it qualifies.

So maybe Sneaky Pete is talking for you? :smt102

Hab

Yes, I am sure that a rumor one heard from a third party would get a citizen of the UK convicted as an accessory to a crime. :lol:

Also, since you googled that quote, you should also post the rest:

"For a person to legally be found guilty of an accessory offense, the prosecutors must prove that the defendant had knowledge of the crime that was going to be, or had been, committed. The prosecutors must also prove that the alleged accessory had intentionally acted to help the criminal in the commission of the offense. A person who unknowingly houses a person who has just committed a crime, for instance, may not be charged with an accessory offense because they did not have knowledge of the crime. Spouses may also be exempt from accessory charges."

Oh hab...
Last edited by Victorian Squid on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 42 posts

Postby David Bird » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:35 pm

If I was a proper journalist, I'd run it.

But he hasn't run it. And this is a tacit admission that...

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm

I think it's only fair, being not proper journalists ourselves, that we guess what this news is.

I personally think Didio was caught with two underage prostitutes dressed up as Cass and Steph Brown spanking him with rolled up comics.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand